Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't have a full Stich (Darien jacket and pants is what I have and the pants mysteriously shrunk over the years :think1: ).
I wonder if you are wearing mesh with a rain suit over it, would the 'bag of ice' deal still work since the rain suit blocks the wind?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I noticed nobody has mentioned filling your helmet with water in a restroom sink. Your head radiates a lot of heat, so having the evaporative effect working on your head is very helpful. Not sure how well this might work in humid places, I've only done it in the dry southwest, and it works great there. I also typically wear helmets with removable liners that can handle getting wet, not sure if all helmets are made that way today because there's so many different ones around.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Or, if you happen to have $1K burning a hole in your pocket, there is this option. It's made by Rukka who I have read tend to make pretty decent quality gear.
I did already post the other kits before, but the Rukka fan-vest actually seems worth considering... just finished reading an extensive review...
Not much hustle, only a 12V outlet required, easily packed when not in use, up to two hours running time on battery while off the bike (like while in a shop doing groceries etc...)
Price range like my Dainese Stradon GoreTex jacket featuring front and rear vents, but not much airflow in slow, urban traffic... this is where the M-Clima would set to ON...
I'd like to try it on it first, but currently not offered by local dealers over here, only web/mail-order...

Generally is there not much market motorcycle cooling vest over here, the max you'll find is designated for roofers and blacktop layers...
Only Louis has like one item in their range:

water evaporation, won't do much in damp, humid weather, or with your protective riding jacket worn over it...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't have a full Stich (Darien jacket and pants is what I have and the pants mysteriously shrunk over the years :think1: ).
I wonder if you are wearing mesh with a rain suit over it, would the 'bag of ice' deal still work since the rain suit blocks the wind?
I’m thinking it would work about as well if the rain suit was breathable and keeps the inside humidity from going up higher than outside humidity.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’m thinking it would work about as well if the rain suit was breathable and keeps the inside humidity from going up higher than outside humidity.
They are Frogg Toggs so they are somewhat breathable.
I reckon I'll have to give it try on one of the hot days coming up and see how well it works.

Bike
2009 ST1300
We're cool right now along the west coast seems both US and Canada right now and just watching the prediction of continued heat and possible heat dome occuring as the week moves on. Be interesting to hear from someone who knows physiology [or whatever it is] on how to deal with ambient temperatures in excess of normal body temperatures.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I've watched my ST[13] riding buddy do the same, try to get some air between him and the bike, looking at the seals and foam parts around the plastic and tank it seems like if those are intact they might block hot air from impinging on the rider, but that hot air I guess must be through the side openings. Wondering if anyone has tried riding with those lower fairing off if that would allow more heat out.
Another thing I thought of is a small vane axial fan pulling air out through some large as possible tubing at each main fairing underside.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never been in really hot weather but a CamelBak filled with ice and a bit of water worked well for me. Keeping my back cool had a chilling effect on the rest of me along with sips of cold water. Then there's days like these where I stay inside and watch Road Runner cartoons.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I wear a LD comfort long sleeved shirt that is moisture wicking. Take a spray bottle of water with me and soak the sleeves and chest. Put on my non mesh jacket to keep the heat off and let air slip in up the sleeves and makes a getto swamp cooler of sorts. Used this last year up in Idaho and Montana when the bike was showing 108 for three days in a row. Also used this coming back from the RTE in Sulphur, OK. Its not like riding in the car but it lasts for about an hour to hour and a half before you need to resoak the shirt. I've got mesh gear and it just lets the hot air get to you and soak you in hot air.
Much prefer this to the mesh. As long as you are moving it works to keep you pretty comfy and you can adjust the air flow through your jacket via sleeve vents and open the main zipper at the top just a bit.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Totally missed that you posted them. Have remedied with extra caffeine.

The benefit of the Rukka vest would be the ability to wear it under jacket with heaviest armor; thanks to Scottish ancestors, I break out in sweat when temperatures go over 10C.
Billy Connolly used to joke that it took Scotsmen a week in the sun to go from pale blue to white...

Bike
2007 ST1300
It's usually pretty humid where I ride so I wear mesh gear and have one of these on my seat:
It works well enough to get some airflow under my butt and if I spread just a bit it can actually get chilly down there.
I also drink a lot of water on rides of a few hours or more. I do it not only to keep hydrated but also so that I have to stop and pee frequently and get out of the heat for a bit.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It's usually pretty humid where I ride so I wear mesh gear and have one of these on my seat:
It works well enough to get some airflow under my butt and if I spread just a bit it can actually get chilly down there.
Yep, got my GF a full size mesh cover for her NT700VA, and she really likes the thing, noticeable more comfort due air-flow passing in high temps (plus enables water draining off the seat when in a downpour...); won't fit on my ST1100 though, as the gaps between seat brim and fairing are just too narrow, will try your single seat version though...

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Inspired by all this talk I installed a farkel today:

IMG_20220709_154703.jpg

Same concept/construction as the Air Flow cover, but unlike the original it actually can be attached to the ST1100 seat...
Bottom side is a non-slip rubber mesh, won't go anywhere, nor does it impair my riding in any way...

Will see how it performs/helps in heat and rainy conditions...

Top Bottom