Dealing With The Heat

Inspired by all this talk I installed a farkel today:

IMG_20220709_154703.jpg

Same concept/construction as the Air Flow cover, but unlike the original it actually can be attached to the ST1100 seat...
Bottom side is a non-slip rubber mesh, won't go anywhere, nor does it impair my riding in any way...

Will see how it performs/helps in heat and rainy conditions...
I have them beads, its a wonderful thing.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a phase vest with two sets of inserts, carrying one in a flexible cooler while wearing the first set. It lasts about 2-3 hrs when its really hot. I have set the inserts in a bucket of ice when unable to refreeze them with a refrigerator and it works well. If I recall correctly they will freeze after about 15 minutes or so that way. Less time in a refrigerator/freezer.

I haven't looked what they cost now or if they are improved, but I have a health issue that makes extreme heat hard to deal with so these help quite a bit while riding when its 90-100s F or to humid.

I'm not head over heals in love with it having another thing on the bike but its helped me travel when otherwise I would have had to drive in the car.

If money wasn't an issue I'd be eyeballing those AC unit jackets.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
When I was riding all over Texas, 100* and 90 to 100% humidity, I would wear my Motoport Kevlar mesh... jeans w/ Monkey Butt powder liberally applied... wicking skivvies... Held Phantom gloves... Scorpion EXO or Nolan modular helmet... mucho agua and Gatorade or Propel at every stop... I guess I was pretty acclimated since I lived along the Gulf Coast most my life.

The no humidity and high heat here in Colorado doesn't affect me other than I need to remember to drink as I don't sweat like I did along the Gulf Coast. I do wear mesh here and it does work if I wear a cotton shirt to retain sweat to cool off with. I carry a large insulated jug with craft ice and water in it to drink as needed.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm going to plus one on the cooling vest. I have the Motoport mesh, long sleeve wicking fabric and liberally applied H2O was good, with the very cold and wet vest it was cooler and longer lasting. A word of caution on freezing it overnight, it took until 3pm that day until I could put it on, stayed with real cold over freezing from then on. It was best for me over 95, below it was a little uncomfortable and stayed damp.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
One of the best ways to deal with saddling up on a motorbike that has been left in the sun all day is a sheepskin seat cover. That way your Hemorrhoids wont think that they have encountered the antichrist.
I don't remember the sun being much of a problem when I was living in Germany. Seems like we only saw the liquid sunshine most of the time?...

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
For health reasons I tend to not ride if the temps are 95 or above. July and August are pretty much battery tender season for me in Oklahoma. I had a pretty good scare from the heat several years ago. I was stuck in traffic for about 45 minutes at 104 degrees with full gear on. I made it home and when I got off the bike I almost had a heat stroke. I had stopped 4 times on a 200 mile trip to drink water and Gatorade.
Be careful in this heat. It can sneak up on you before you realize it.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Inspired by all this talk I installed a farkel today:

IMG_20220709_154703.jpg

Same concept/construction as the Air Flow cover, but unlike the original it actually can be attached to the ST1100 seat...
Bottom side is a non-slip rubber mesh, won't go anywhere, nor does it impair my riding in any way...

Will see how it performs/helps in heat and rainy conditions...
What I can report on this:

- a slight draft at you know where during m/way speeds... ;)
- weathered a heavy downpour last night, the butt stayed dry... :cool:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If we are eating a balanced diet our bodies do a pretty good job of replacing needed salts & fluids with sufficient water intake. Plain old water can be cheaper and healthier for people that don’t have some other insufficiency.

Last edited:
Augsburg, Nurnberg, Ulm, etc.
Augsburg, my corner of the world. Sheridan, Reece or Flak?
Got my arse dragged out of the bookstore by the MP´s in Sheridan trying to score a few books in English.
Through some quirk of geology I was able to listen to AFN at home near Donauwörth on my MW wireless. Loved to tune into Wolfman Jack late at night. ARUUOOOOOO!

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Augsburg, my corner of the world. Sheridan, Reece or Flak?
Got my arse dragged out of the bookstore by the MP´s in Sheridan trying to score a few books in English.
Through some quirk of geology I was able to listen to AFN at home near Donauwörth on my MW wireless. Loved to tune into Wolfman Jack late at night. ARUUOOOOOO!
Sheridan when I was there. Lived in the last building in the housing area, so we had a German street that paralleled the building. Always enjoyed traveling thru Donauworth with the big, beautiful bridges.

Gents;
Living in a place where we do winter really well, I hate the cold and love the heat. We had 100 deg on the patio today and I love it. As far as riding goes, I wear a Fieldsheer jacket with all the ventilators open, but maybe a mesh jacket might be in order.
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster
Ontario, Canada.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Maybe a silly idea... but... what about removing the thermostat, unless you know you will be driving in freezing temperature ?

I'm sure the flow of the coolant will be improved.

When the thermostat opens, it allows coolant to flow thru an hole, that is otherwise blocked by the thermostat when the bike is cold, so the engine could warm up.
But, without the thermostat, the hole will be much bigger I guess, so the coolant flow should be greather.

If the engine is a bit cooler, chances are the rider will feel the heat of the engine a bit less.

The thermostat gasket is not expensive, if it means you will have to replace it.

Maybe an option for those that feels their ST's engine is generating a lot of heat when they are stucked in traffic.

Might worth a try. What do you think ?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Not a good idea to remove the thermostat from your cooling system. Your fuel injection system delivers fuel ratios depending on your engine temperature. If it ran cooler, it would feed a rich fuel ratio continually. Not good
Also, your combustion needs to burn clean and be fuel efficient and it only does that when your engine is at the predetermined temperature it was designed for. That's what the thermostat does. It's a very important part of your engines design.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Three bars is too wide a temperature range to not really know what the sensed temperature is, 150 to 230, by 230 the barn doors open, the bike needs two things in my opinion, a dimmer high beam indicator light and a [real - not like Ford] temperature gauge.
My bike seemed really clean when I got it but I did get a lot of dirt out of the ribbed engine bottom, long - bristle brush detergent scrub made a pretty good mud pie out of a gallon of water. Dirts an insulator and heat's gotta go somewhere.

Top Bottom