Dealing With The Heat

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The coolant needs the dwell time in the radiator to expel heat. Without a stat this dwell time doesn't occur. The system is balanced for flow rates, ambient temp, heat load and exchange rates.
As well as my first point, that a certain amount of time is required to transfer heat from the engine metal to the coolant.

Also, remember that your temperature gauge reads coolant temperature, not engine metal temperature.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Maybe just a little trick, known by many... but I just discovered it last week.
When it's hot, the inside of my motorcycle jacket sleeves get all wet, by perspiration. And also the rest of the jacket, of course.

Now, I just tried something very simple and I'm happy with the results.
I have a model of gloves that extend about 4 inches (10cm) past the wrist, that prevent any cold air to get inside the sleeve. Practical with cold weather, not so much in summer.
So, I removed my gloves, and untied the velcro closing at the wrist, so I then had a large opening around my wrist.
Then, while riding my ST, I could feel the cool breeze rushing inside my sleeves and inside my jacket.
Wow !
Plus, I unzip my jacket at the chest level, keeping the velcro at the neck. So, I stayed much more dry (I guess the perspiration could now evaporate) but it was also really more comfortable.
For my gloves, I will buy a pair of short ones, that finishes at the wrist.

Again, really simple, but being a relatively new rider, I never tried this before, and I found it really improved my comfort.

Last edited:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
When it's hot, the inside of my motorcycle jacket sleeves get all wet, by perspiration. And also the rest of the jacket, of course.

I have a model of gloves that extend about 4 inches (10cm) past the wrist, that prevent any cold air to get inside the sleeve. Practical with cold weather, not so much in summer.
So, I removed my gloves, and untied the velcro closing at the wrist, so I then had a large opening around my wrist.
Then, while riding my ST, I could feel the cool breeze rushing inside my sleeves and inside my jacket.
Wow !
Plus, I unzip my jacket at the chest level, keeping the velcro at the neck. So, I stayed much more dry (I guess the perspiration could now evaporate) but it was also really more comfortable.

Again, really simple, but being a relatively new rider, I never tried this before, and I found it really improved my comfort.
I do the same in the summer. Gloves inside the sleeves, and don't cinch the sleeves at all, but keeping them loose.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300

Wow !

And if you add a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt underneath the jacket, soak the sleeves with a spray bottle, and the chest, it will provide a swamp cooler of sorts and make you much more comfortable. No mesh jacket but rather one that will keep the heat off you and allow the airflow up the sleeves and out the top of your slightly unzipped jacket. LD Comfort makes a great moisture wicking shirt for this. It will keep you cool for about an hour to hour and a half depending on how much air you allow up your sleeves.
It Works!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I do the same in the summer. Gloves inside the sleeves, and don't cinch the sleeves at all, but keeping them loose.
The BMW GS Dry touring jacket I bought last year has stiff cuffs that when opened make a somewhat bell shaped opening that really scoops air up the sleeves. Unfortunately the solid textile construction is too hot to wear most of the year where I live but it's great on cool mornings on days that don't heat up into the 80's.

Top Bottom