Helmets Don't be like me, lock it up or take it with you!

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Was working on the front yard Saturday and I realized that I wanted to run to the store for a minute. So I hop on my ST1100 and run over there before my fiance' gets to my house. I'm in and out in about 10 minutes, but my helmet (Shoei Neotec 2 in white) was gone.
Because of the intercom on the helmet, it doesn't fit in my panniers, and you need a blade like tool (which I didn't have with me) to remove it. Also I don't have another way to lock it up on my bike. I have done this before many times, but this time I got bit and learned an expensive lesson.
PEOPLE SUCK!
I made a police report, and they were able to see the security cam videos that shows the guy taking it from my bike. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.
I was lucky once when my 87' CR500 motocross bike was stolen, and they found it two weeks later. I don't think I'll be that lucky again.

Peace, Greg

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I hate thieves. Sorry to hear that.

I almost never lock up my helmet and will often just prop it on a mirror or lay it on the ground by a footpeg. Then again I wear a 10 year old HJC.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a bummer.

Anytime I see helmets sitting on bikes, I wonder if they ever lost one.

Being from Kaliforniastan, I've always locked up my helmet. Either in my topcase or on my license plate lock that I installed under my topcase.

HelmetHolders.JPG

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
That stinks!

I have been using one of these types of locks for about 15 years. Yes, it can still be cut, but it will stop the theft of opportunity. At least slow them down. I run the cable through the chin guard and then through the passenger hand rail when I had my ST. I do the same on my Gold Wing. No need to un hook any helmet coms system cable.

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Helmet Lock - High Security Pin Combination Carabiner Lock for Motorbike - Bright Theft Deterrent Cable - Tough Enough to Secure Virtually Anything : Automotive

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think anyone that steals anything should be shot on site! Well, not really, but you get the sentiment.

If the guy who stole it was on foot maybe he is from around that area, maybe he even frequents that store. Did the people who work in the store have a look at the tape? Maybe one of them will recognize him. Worth a shot.

I have evolved to leaving my top-case on all the time, even though there is never anything in it even when I am traveling. I do this solely because it is such an easy, quick and convenient place to safely store my helmet, gloves, and GPS out of sight when I leave the motorcycle. I hate carrying my helmet around with me. Having it out of sight usually means that it is out of harms way as well.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
That sucks big.
Been there, had that happen. Back about 40 years ago, before Arai helmets cost as much as a car, had a nice full face black Arai. Was a short stop by the local pool, put helmet on back rest of my CB900C. I was walking back to my bike when a car with four punks in it pulled up to my bike, took the helmet, while I watched....from too far away to do anything....... except get really pissed.

Andrew shadow has it right...shoot on sight.
T

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
I think anyone that steals anything should be shot on site! Well, not really, but you get the sentiment.

If the guy who stole it was on foot maybe he is from around that area, maybe he even frequents that store. Did the people who work in the store have a look at the tape? Maybe one of them will recognize him. Worth a shot.

I have evolved to leaving my top-case on all the time, even though there is never anything in it even when I am traveling. I do this solely because it is such an easy, quick and convenient place to safely store my helmet, gloves, and GPS out of sight when I leave the motorcycle. I hate carrying my helmet around with me. Having it out of sight usually means that it is out of harms way as well.
I agree, if they catch him, and even if I get my helmet back, I'm going to prosecute. It's probably going to be a pain with a possible subpoena and having to go to court, but I guess if I do nothing, then it doesn't teach them anything.
I have tried to track down a top case for my 1100 but they are hard to find, or the ones you do find, might be pretty roached out or just too cheaply made.
The officer called me about 15 minutes after I made the report. They saw the car he drove etc. They also saw that he had come from the store, so they should be able to get a good look at him from a still shot at the exit. The officer also told me that this store is pretty good about getting camera data from local businesses also, so they may get a license plate number to track him down. A bit of a long shot, but I'm hopeful.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
That sucks big.
Been there, had that happen. Back about 40 years ago, before Arai helmets cost as much as a car, had a nice full face black Arai. Was a short stop by the local pool, put helmet on back rest of my CB900C. I was walking back to my bike when a car with four punks in it pulled up to my bike, took the helmet, while I watched....from too far away to do anything....... except get really pissed.

Andrew shadow has it right...shoot on sight.
T
Apparently I only missed him by a few minutes. If I had seen him taking it, I would have made A LOT!! of noise and draw as much attention to him as possible.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Sorry about this! I never leave my helmet on the bike - not even on the ferry :). Sometimes I'm too lazy to put in in the side case, so I'll just bring it inside with me to the store. Toss it in the grocery cart if needed.

I did the same thing as Super-sabri with the license plate helmet locks. License plate is too low but bottom of luggage rack is perfect. Can lock 2 helmets or a helmet and jacket. Use a plastic coated steel cable with loops on ends. Thread thru jacket sleeve.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a lightweight bicycle cable lock I use, if the side case has stuff in it already. Or I'll take it in with me (rather not.) And it has enough length (coiled-springy style) to thread through a jacket sleeve.
My Shoei Neotec and Neotec 2 won't fit in my Givi topbox, but either will fit in the side bag. Problem with a lot of dedicated helmet locks, is they lock the D-rings... and the new Neotec 2 (and the newer N-3) don't use D-rings anymore, they have that sliding ratchet/buckle. I like the retention system, but makes the old-school helmet locks obsolete.
Can't afford to have some numbskull just walk with my helmet, as I never buy cheap ones. Helmets are required in Alabama, and I wouldn't ride without it anyway.
It burns my biscuits when people rip off riding gear; for all intents it's the same as taking two or more wheels off your car.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Geez I throw my throw my jacket over the tank and tank bag. Lots of riders do that around here.
I'm more inclined to leave a jacket out, than a helmet. I could still ride without a jacket (maybe not this time of year), but not without a helmet.
I DO like to cover the gauges, though. Just my thing... I've seen SO many nice old bikes in good shape, until you see the faded / cracked / cloudy instrument cover over faded, pale, washed-out gauges and cluster.
An old t-shirt lives in my topbox or side case, for this purpose. I'll only leave a helmet or jacket out and unlocked if it's within view or sprinting distance. And I won't sprint very far these days.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a top box the same way. I will leave my stuff out sometimes based on the situation.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Geez I throw my throw my jacket over the tank and tank bag. Lots of riders do that around here.
Yep, same for 50 years, nothing locked, never had anything taken off the bike. That's why my garage and closets are full of old riding gear. I figure if anything is ever taken they need it more than I, and I get to go shopping. :thumb:

Tom

Top Bottom