Helmets Don't be like me, lock it up or take it with you!

Bike
2010 ST1300
and to make sure both my 45 ACP magazines were still there....they were :rofl1:
Good to leave those on the bike as a deterrent!
If you are looking for better Amazon reviews, here are 2 of several that have positive reviews.
Amazon is notorious for fake positive reviews. There have been more than a few news articles about this, and about people being paid to write fake reviews. For that reason, I start reading the one star, then two star, and finally the three star reviews. If someone is angry, they are more likely to complain. I also ignore outright anger unless the reviewer is specific about the product's faults. Both of your links have about 10% 1 and 2 star complaints, and they echo the other reviews I looked at for a number of different brands of these cable locks. Several jammed in the locked position requiring the owners to cut the cable. I don't doubt that you got a good lock that has worked for you, but I'll still stick with my original thought - get a heavier bicycle lock style with the combo on one end and a bayonet fitting on the other. Less convenient but hopefully, more secure and reliable.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Maybe trust issues are part of the environment one grows up in. Here where we live in the country, we just started locking our doors a couple years ago, and were shocked that the world had come to that. Neighbors still look out for neighbors. I have never carried a gun when not hunting squirrels or game birds, and don't plan to....and no, I've never met a meth addict, and honestly don't care to.

I know there are bad people in the world, I hear about them every night on the news.

All I know is, in the 55 years I have been motorcycle touring the US, Canada and Europe, all the people that I have come into personal contact with have been good people, willing to stop and check on me if I am stopped on the side of the road, or more than willing to help with directions or suggestions. I find most people kind beyond expectations.

Even if someone would steal my helmet or jacket someday, it would be a disappointment, but still a minor inconvenience compared to the things that could happen to you in this world. I'd much prefer they took my helmet vs say holding me up at gunpoint and stealing my wallet.

The good in the world far outweighs the bad in my experience.

st1300doug

I set mine on the seat or on the ground. For over 45+ years. NEVER had anyone mess w/it or had one stolen. But, I'd maybe think again w/a Shueberth, AGV, Nolan, or a $500+ dollar helmet. Times are different too. I'm sure a Pawn Shop will give a dime on a dollar for a nice quality helmet.

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Man that sucks, nice helmet. If going to the store I’ll put it in a cart, but on a ride stopping at a place to eat, I’ll leave on the bike.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Sucks what happened @Beeflips

TLDR; I'm sure someone mentioned this, but my go-to is a 2.5 ft, 1/4" cable with loops on each end and a small keyed padlock. On my 1100 I'd loop it around the right side passenger grabrail and lock it to the other to store it right at hand, ready to use. It's long enough to pass through the armpit vent of my Aerostich jacket, and the pant pocket of my two-piece too if I'm really paranoid, before looping around the chinbar of my helmet.

I have longer ones too. A 6ft thin one, sold as a jacket cable because it can easily pass through a jacket arm, come in handy if the seat is packed with gear or I'm locking up a bunch of gear for friends.

Buy multiple locks in a set with matching keys for versatility. Share with others in your group or family members.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
UPDATE:
Police called me yesterday. He did finally come in contact with the driver of the car (he did not tell me initially that the guy was a passenger), the woman ratted her friend out and told the officer that the helmet was no longer in his possession, but they know who he is at least. At this point, he has not talked to this guy. He said that he will now get charges filed and we will go from there.

In addition, I did call my insurer, and I wasn't surprised that there was no coverage for theft of accessories or gear. My insurance is $200/year for full coverage, so it might be worth asking if there is a rider available to cover such things. But as I have read here, and actually already knew, that the best deterrent is to simply keep things safe and locked up.

Also, you all have given me many tips and ideas that I will have time to implement over the winter months while I go through the winter maintenance. So I really appreciate all of you who have shared here.

STOC #
I have tried to track down a top case for my 1100 but they are hard to find, or the ones you do find, might be pretty roached out or just too cheaply made.
I have a Givi E 33 on my 1100. It's small, actually made for scooters, but fits my full coverage helmet easily. Because of the smaller size it wasn't too expensive. It came with the mounting plate, but I had to fabricate some brackets to attach it to the bike. The back rest pad is an old Goldwing armrest I found at a Flea Market.

My riding buddy always leaves his helmet on his mirror when going into a store or restaurant. While I've never had a helmet stolen, I never do that. I even use an armoured cable bike lock through one of the arms of my jacket if I have to leave it with the bike. Here in Ontario Canada it's illegal to ride without a helmet so a missing helmet is a major inconvenience.

DSCF0524.jpg

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
There should be a rider available to cover accessories. The insurance I had with ST1100 just included all the gear but that was for damage in an accident. The coverage was pro-rated for MSRP cost and time since purchase. When I low-sided my ST all my gear also had some damage and all of it was replaced at least partially with insurance (I had a really good insurance inspector who also rides). I had just bought my helmet that same year at MotorcycleGear.com and paid a lot less than MSRP, and in fact less than the insurance coverage paid me to replace it!

Bike
2021 R1250RT
Not buying it. :rofl1:

I suggest you check out the used helmet market. A used helmet is NEVER worth what it cost to anyone except perhaps you and your insurance company. Riding gear depreciates about as fast as underwear or a stinky faded Stitch. I do agree with your contradicting finale.

Tom
Maybe not to anyone else but it's likely worth something near that to the OP because now he must replace it.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Two things I can't stand in this world are liars and thieves. I have no use for either. I know some individuals that would lie when the truth would actually work better. And others that would steal because they could and then throw the item in the trash because it was of no use to them.

We had several homes broken into around me. Several of my neighbors (friends) posted on Facebook that the perps better hope the police find them before they do with a picture of all the guns and ammo that was not stolen (locked in their safes). Word must have gotten to the perps that they weren't joking. Police got an anonymous tip and found almost all of the stolen items piled up at the end of a dirt road!

Trust me... they weren't joking.

Was working on the front yard Saturday and I realized that I wanted to run to the store for a minute. So I hop on my ST1100 and run over there before my fiance' gets to my house. I'm in and out in about 10 minutes, but my helmet (Shoei Neotec 2 in white) was gone.
Because of the intercom on the helmet, it doesn't fit in my panniers, and you need a blade like tool (which I didn't have with me) to remove it. Also I don't have another way to lock it up on my bike. I have done this before many times, but this time I got bit and learned an expensive lesson.
PEOPLE SUCK!
I made a police report, and they were able to see the security cam videos that shows the guy taking it from my bike. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.
I was lucky once when my 87' CR500 motocross bike was stolen, and they found it two weeks later. I don't think I'll be that lucky again.

Peace, Greg
My helmet fits nicely in my side case.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I'm in the take it with you or lock it up camp.

Grew up in Montreal area. Good neighbourhoods, stuff disappeared if you left it out. Had a break in at apartment and later our house.

Now in Toronto area. It is common knowledge that we have a group of people checking cars in the middle of the night for valuables. They don't break in, just check the doors and if one if left unlocked they go through your glove box, center console etc......... for anything of value. Lots on webcam videos and pictures posted re this. I've had my car done twice so far. Lost a pair of cheap sunglasses.

6 months ago had a mover for 97 year old MIL's move to a retirement home. I talked to the 3 guys, they knew they were moving an elderly lady, one talked about his grandma in affectionate terms. Several days after the move it was clear that some of the furniture had been rifled for valuables.

Bike gear theft is a crime of opportunity. It's unfortunate, but there are people out there, regular looking folks I'm sure, looking for an opportunity to grab your stuff. The thing about bike gear is that loss of a helmet is a show stopper and I don't want this to happen in Podunkville, WV on a Sunday morning. Inconvenient, but cheap insurance to take it with you or lock it up.

Was working on the front yard Saturday and I realized that I wanted to run to the store for a minute. So I hop on my ST1100 and run over there before my fiance' gets to my house. I'm in and out in about 10 minutes, but my helmet (Shoei Neotec 2 in white) was gone.
Because of the intercom on the helmet, it doesn't fit in my panniers, and you need a blade like tool (which I didn't have with me) to remove it. Also I don't have another way to lock it up on my bike. I have done this before many times, but this time I got bit and learned an expensive lesson.
PEOPLE SUCK!
I made a police report, and they were able to see the security cam videos that shows the guy taking it from my bike. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.
I was lucky once when my 87' CR500 motocross bike was stolen, and they found it two weeks later. I don't think I'll be that lucky again.

Peace, Greg
sorry to hear that. some ppl really look for every opportunity. may be we need to start fitting a gps inside the helmets to track the thieves

Top Bottom