Helmets Don't be like me, lock it up or take it with you!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
PEOPLE SUCK!
I whole heartily agree. Those that don't are a very rare exception. The older I get and the more interaction I have with people the more I affirm Trust No One. <—That's only very slightly sarcastic.

I don't have a top box or I'd use it all the time. Carrying my helmet doesn't appeal to me though it's second nature after all these years. Other's anecdotes of how gold ingots left on the bike are unmolested don't help me if my helmet is stolen. This happened to me once on base when I was in the Mil. I learned then and try not to forget.

Here's hoping you get your hat back. I'm all for pushing for prosecution even though a local DA may say it's not worth their time. His/her call of course. The DA may proceed without your prodding. Being the petty guy I am I'd want to at least inconvenience the thief as he did me for his moment of stupidity. To do nothing just gives him tacit approval.

Best of luck to you..

Bike
VStrom 650
Sorry for the theft, but it's no surprise surely.
What's your helmet worth, $600.00 +?
Would you go into the same shop and leave that amount of money sitting on the seat. And if you were so inclined would you expect it to be there when you get back.
Plus how do you know what similar scum bags are doing to your helmet whilst you're in there.
Lock it or lose it. But you know that.
Plus top boxes are not that expensive and it's far easier to put a helmet in a top box than a pannier, if you only need space for one helmet it'd be as cheap as chips.
But like most things in life we all make choices, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
Hope the thief burns in hell but I wouldn't wear the helmet again anyway.
Upt.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Sorry for the theft, but it's no surprise surely.
What's your helmet worth, $600.00 +?
Not buying it. :rofl1:

I suggest you check out the used helmet market. A used helmet is NEVER worth what it cost to anyone except perhaps you and your insurance company. Riding gear depreciates about as fast as underwear or a stinky faded Stitch. I do agree with your contradicting finale.
I wouldn't wear the helmet again anyway.
I can't give it away. :thumb:

Tom

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I carry a ski lock with me. Very small and surprisingly hard to disable.
Some people are really REALLY bad (very mild response).
I have a lock very similar to this one. I also carry a thicker longer bicycle cable lock. I used to use them regularly for my helmet and jacket. Now I use the tab under the seat with a very short steel loop to secure my helmet and carry the jacket in with me. But sometimes I'll still drape the jacket over the instruments and shield depending on where I am.

TPadden

Tom Padden
They are usually way worse than that!
The horrors... :eek:

To be Frank or one of the other Tom's, we currently avoid inner cities and homeless tweaker areas. On the rare occasion I have to park someplace where the hair on my arm stands up I do my best to secure gear or take it with me. At other times it's on the bike, I take the chance and will have to deal with it if lightning strikes. People don't suck; but we do have to pay some attention to our environment.

Tom

STOC #
Years ago I used to leave my jacket and helmet on the bike. Then one time I was parked with another bike and because I was just going to be quick,(pee break) I just kept my stuff on. When I came back all the stuff on the other bike were gone. Helmet, gloves, jacket, and even soft luggage was cut off.
Since then, I stuff gps and gloves in the top box. Take my jacket and helmet with me. Pita when sight seeing etc but…
May try a cable lock sometime.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The horrors... :eek:

To be Frank or one of the other Tom's, we currently avoid inner cities and homeless tweaker areas. On the rare occasion I have to park someplace where the hair on my arm stands up I do my best to secure gear or take it with me. At other times it's on the bike, I take the chance and will have to deal with it if lightning strikes. People don't suck; but we do have to pay some attention to our environment.

Tom
Me too. I said I almost never lock my gear up but in sketchy areas I will or more likely, take it with me, but I try not to go to sketchy areas in the first place. There are great people in this world and there are terrible people in this world. Fate determines which kind we run in to.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can afford to buy another helmet if I had to. It is far less about the monetary value to me, and is more about the trip interruption and the hassle of having to replace it on the road.

If my helmet gets stolen, or is otherwise rendered unusable, my trip is immediately on hold until I can replace it. This can be a significant secondary inconvenience, expense, and hassle unto itself. Besides having to find somewhere to get a replacement, I may not be able to get the model, size, or fit that is right for me. Having to settle for something might be more than just finding the helmet uncomfortable, it may well turn out to be outright painful to wear after having it on for hours at a time. This certainly won't make for an enjoyable rest of the trip. If I have to replace it upon arriving back at home where I have the time to shop and find what I want in the size and fit that I need, that adds an additional significant expense and wastes even more time.

It takes me literally 15 additional seconds to put my helmet in the top-case versus just leaving it sitting somewhere on the bike, and another 15 seconds to take it out again. I accept that those 30 seconds are well spent to help avoid all of these hassles. I just do it every time that I leave the motorcycle unattended and don't think any more about it.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
^ ^ ^ All of that. ^ ^ ^
Still, and all... it's pointless and pathetic for some sleazebag to take it. First, they likely don't "need" it, and secondly, all of the elements above, much less the expense of a new lid, are hundreds of times more costly than whatever few dollars the cretin could actually sell it for.
The thoughtlessness and inconsideration are revolting.
The "I'll take whatever I want" entitled attitude is disturbing.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I carry a ski lock with me. Very small and surprisingly hard to disable.
I looked at this lock on Amazon, as linked. The one star reviews were disappointing. It was not very strong and it apparently malfunctioned for a number of folks. In fact, all of the retractable cable locks shared the same faults, even the Abus (German) one that had almost 25% of the reviewers panning it.

While it might be better than nothing, I think I'll spring for a heavier cable with the combo lock on the ends. In the end, all locksmiths say that locks simply keep the honest people honest.

I have a intercom and a camera on my Arai and it always makes me uncomfortable leaving it behind even when just getting gas. Now I have reinforcement for it. Hope you have good luck with the police, I can only hope that there are some clubs that will assist on character adjustments for the guy that stole from a fellow biker

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I looked at this lock on Amazon, as linked. The one star reviews were disappointing. It was not very strong and it apparently malfunctioned for a number of folks. In fact, all of the retractable cable locks shared the same faults, even the Abus (German) one that had almost 25% of the reviewers panning it.

While it might be better than nothing, I think I'll spring for a heavier cable with the combo lock on the ends. In the end, all locksmiths say that locks simply keep the honest people honest.
All I can say is that I have used one on my skis, helmets, etc for 10+ years and have abused them considerably (eg. skis getting knocked over on the rack, helmet falling off of seat, etc) and have never had it fail. Granted it is not the one I linked. I linked that one only as an example.
If you are looking for better Amazon reviews, here are 2 of several that have positive reviews.
Their main advantage is size and weight that you need to carry.

As you said, any lock can be defeated. The purpose is to provide enough of a deterrent that the perp will move on to an easier target.

Bike
VStrom 650
^ ^ ^ All of that. ^ ^ ^
Still, and all... it's pointless and pathetic for some sleazebag to take it. First, they likely don't "need" it, and secondly, all of the elements above, much less the expense of a new lid, are hundreds of times more costly than whatever few dollars the cretin could actually sell it for.
Who knows, it might have been he just fancied a nice helmet, might have been enough for his next bag. Whether we like it or not the world is full of thieving b...... t.... let's not make it easy for the low life pond life t.......
Upt.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
^ ^ ^ All of that. ^ ^ ^
Your "likely don't need it" comment makes me think you've never met a meth addict :rofl1:
Some of these folks will steal anything to try and sell or trade it for their next high.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
With the exception of a locked (secure) sally port, I don't leave any of my bikes out of sight.
If I eat someplace, I sit by the window, I trust No one!
Saddlebags left unlocked, jackets, helmets, gloves, even ignitions on Harleys that folks leave in the on position, thinking nobody would be stupid enough to touch a Harley because a biker owns it etc. are easy targets for thieves.
If you can't afford to replace it, don't leave it out.
Years ago, I parked at a road side rest area to take a break, and parked my Road King at the curb, walked a short distance and sat down under a tree.
I watched some idiot walk right up to it, start looking around, then flipped open my windshield bag to see if anything worth stealing was in there....
I was sitting in plane view, watching him.
I guess he had a change of heart, or got spooked, because he quickly closed the leather windshield bag, and ran to his car, jumped in and left very quickly.
I walked over to the bike to check the contents of the bag, and to make sure both my 45 ACP magazines were still there....they were :rofl1:

Top Bottom