Ear Plug Advice

What does everyone use? I have a hard time with the expandable foam (cheapy) type. They don't stay in well or begin to hurt after a while. I want to cut down on the wind noise (have a full-face helmet) but still hear what's going on. Need all day comfort and not too fussy to put in. Suggestions?

I've heard that an audiologist can custom fit plugs for not too much. Anyone tried that?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I run Bluetooth Plugfones. Don't need com features, just music and nav piped in. With them simply plugged in, the noise reduction is huge. The silicone type of plug seals very, very well.
RT

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Got our last pairs of custom moulded plugs from Costco, they have lasted me years but our Costcos don't offer them any more. We've recently brought custom plugs with builtin speaker drivers from HearSmart solutions in Surrey BC, not tried them yet, they we're horribly expensive so they better be good, I'm sure they are, now I'm motivated to try them!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've tried a bunch of different types, and I keep going back to the expandable foam ones because the have about the best sound reduction and they're cheap. I find them comfortable for all day riding.

FWIW, I use the Howard Leight Max with an NRR of 33dB.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Earpeace. I can't ride without 'em anymore.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Plugup.com. They might seem expensive but they're awesome. I don't ride with anything else since I got them.
+1 on the Plugups. I've got the molded ones and I won't ride without them either unless it's a quick pop over to the corner store. I actually bought the more expensive inearz later, but I'm still using the plugups. I find that since they are made of a rubbery material, they seem to block out more sound. The quality of the audio is much better with the inearz, however.

Bike
2007 ST1300
i use these, comfortable for all day use.
HEAROS Ultimate Softness Series Noise Cancelling Disposable Foam Earplugs NRR 32 Hearing Protection (20 Pair)

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Like @paulcb , I prefer the disposable foam ones. My favourite is 3M EAR Yellow Neons - they are soft, conform to my ear canal well, and have excellent sound attenuation. The Yellow Neons are softer than the 'standard' 3M foam earplugs, and also have a rounded end.

I am aware that custom-fitted ones might be more comfortable, but the problem is losing them. The disposable ones cost very little if purchased in a large box of 100 or 1,000, and I can get about 3 days of use out of a pair before they become dirty (not from my ear, but from the time they spend in my pocket when I am not wearing them).

My younger sister spent some years working as an audiologist, and she advises me that there are considerable differences in the characteristics of ear wax from one person to another - some people have 'dry' ear wax, others have 'wet' ear wax. This might explain why a particular type of foam ear plug that one person raves about being really comfortable might not be comfortable for the next person. I think you need to experiment a bit with different types and different brands, and once you find ones you like, buy a huge box of them and stuff 'em in the unlocked fairing pocket of the motorcycle.

Michael

3M EAR Yellow Neons
earplugs.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Howard Leight (see @carpdm's post #10) makes two versions. The pink and a lighter density foam in green. Both have among the highest sound attenuating numbers available in an ear plug. I buy them by the box of 200 pair and love them.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I wore the yellow foamies for an entire flying career under helmet, currently mostly wear triple flange plugs but they seem to want to break the seal when putting on the helmet (cheek pads slide across the ends) and are hard to get reset once the helmet is on. I have a pair of molded plugs purchased as a wear test before getting molded audio plugs ($$$) to see if they'd work better but never took that last step. They aren't as easy to put in nor as comfortable to wear, but possibly only because I haven't worn them enough times/long enough to get used to them yet.

Listen to music through BT (Chatterbox2) as much as possible, so need something that allows that and still cuts the ambient sound to help lessen hearing loss.

Definitely can tell when the triple flanges are sealed vs non-sealed from the amount of engine/wind noise underway!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used what used to be called Hearos (supposedly designed for rock musicians so they would not go deaf when they played) but Howard Leight now brands them as LASER LITE® EARPLUGS. Up to 32 decibels and I can wear them all day long and all night if need be. I buy them by box of 100s.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have some custom Westone CR1 earbuds but now use PlugUp knockoffs because your ear canal changes over time and I don't want to spend another $400 on custom ones again. If I didn't listen to music and comms, I'd just go with the regular foam plugs. Like others have said, you have to experiment until you find the ones that work for you.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Ditto on Ear pain, Regular Hearos hurt after awhile. What I found is "Sleep Pretty" Hearos in Pink are smaller and gentler in the Ear canal.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I use S-Plugs earbuds plugged into my Sena 20Evo. Very comfortable as I can wear them all day. Very clear audio and intercom.

Top Bottom