2005 ST1300ABS
+1 on that sample pack.
Here's that link the the 40 pack...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Tried lots of different brands and styles. I used to use the foam roll-up earplugs, and they were good.
I've had 2 pairs of "custom-molded" plugs made with mediocre results.
A few years back, the Iron Butt crowd introduced me to Etymotics, designed for musicians and sound engineer-types, and they are extremely comfortable with their 3-flange silicon construction. They are comparable or superior to the Shure e-215s mentioned here earlier.
The model numbers change over the years; I've had one pair of Etymotics ER6 for at least 5 years before one channel went out - I probably yanked it or crimped it. I bought a less-expensive model, around 80 bucks or so on Amazon.
I listen to music or podcasts while riding, so wind noise elimination and sound quality are of primary importance to me... after extended wear comfort, of course.
EDIT: They wear well under a helmet, don't interfere with wearing or un-wearing my Shoei, and a helmet liner makes it even easier. Easy on, easy off. Don't forget to release your helmet retention system first.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm a Etymotics fan too. They don't last it forever, but they are very good at blocking noise and the music sounds good too. 5 years is about right. I tried the Shure but couldn't get them to stay in while putting on my helmet.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I run Bluetooth Plugfones. Don't need com features, just music and nav piped in. With them simply plugged in, the noise reduction is huge. The silicone type of plug seals very, very well.
RT
Perfect timing of this thread! Do these have the cord to connect them? I think I prefer them to not be connected.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I definitely would like them to reduce noise an allow me to listen to ipod music. AND I want them to fit flush so I can put on/take off helmet easily.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Perfect timing of this thread! Do these have the cord to connect them? I think I prefer them to not be connected.
They sell them both ways I think. I have the Bluetooth version. Drastic DB reduction and music. Silicone style may not suit you, or take some getting used to. I wear a skullcap under my helmet. I find it makes a huge difference in keeping the plugs in place when putting the helmet on.

RT

I used what used to be called Hearos (supposedly designed for rock musicians so they would not go deaf when they played) but Howard Leight now brands them as LASER LITE® EARPLUGS. Up to 32 decibels and I can wear them all day long and all night if need be. I buy them by box of 100s.
That is what I buy also. use them cutting wood and shooting too.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I definitely would like them to reduce noise an allow me to listen to ipod music. AND I want them to fit flush so I can put on/take off helmet easily.
I highly recommend the Etymotics (the current model that is about $65) . They look flimsy, but I've had mine for at about 3 years.
The (included) triple flange tips seal noise better than anything else I've tried.

(These are the only earbuds I can use for podcasts while using my lawnmower, they are so quiet.)

They sit deeply into your ear canal, and don't stick out. I plug them into my Sena SMH-20, and just stuff the excess wire under my shirt.
But to totally prevent snagging your helmet, a thin helmet liner that covers the ears works great.

I also have the SE-215s, which I use with Comply foam tips. Great sound but the noise sealing is not as good as the Etymotics.

For just earplugs, the Hearos (mentioned above) are the best and most comfortable. Your local Walgreens should have them.

Top Bottom