Ear Plug Advice

When I rode all the time I had a set of moulded ones made with built in monitors. Expensive but they lasted me years. I only stopped wearing them because I stopped riding the bike every day and misplaced them in the garage somewhere.

STOC #
I've tried numerous foam units and even a mold-it -yourself one. It's just hard to stop that low level thundering noise.
The one I'm currently having some luck with right now is the Peltor Sport. It's a Tri-Flange reusable plug (Washable). I cut off the cord on them.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Maybe not what you are asking about but Ear Inc also have earplugs.

Many years ago, not sure how long now, someone on this forum introduced me to Ear Inc. (Maybe not the name used then but the name used now).

I have been using their in the ear speaker/earphones for at least 10 years. They have changed their method of providing sound but, coupled with my Autocom Super Pro Avi, they are excellent. They also sell custom molded ear plugs, I believe.

I highly recommend them. Here is their main website and the website for the earphones I use.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tried some custom molded earplugs years ago but after they cured they actually had shrunk very slightly but it was enough that they didn't seal well.

After frying a lot of different earplugs I haven't found any large enough to seal well in one ear. I've got some 3M foamies and I have to try cutting 2 to make 1 and maybe that'll work.

I do have a pair of Shure E530s that seal both ears very well and sound really great but they're a little too pricey to wear out and about. The 535s have a removable/replaceable cord and if I luck in to a pair of those I'd give them a try under my helmet.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I use to have a pair Shure ear buds but it hurt when I put the helmet on and when I pulled the helmet off it felt like I was ripping my ear canals out. I didn’t try it a second time.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Walmart pharmacy. I've often had earplugs in 18 hours a day after riding and then have a noisy campground. Walmart pharmacy area has 2 different soft plugs that are both soft and work well. One is straight sides and one is formed. Never had ear pain with these.

Bike
ST 1100 s
What does everyone use? I have a hard time with the expandable foam (cheapy) type. They don't stay in well or begin to hurt after a while. I want to cut down on the wind noise (have a full-face helmet) but still hear what's going on. Need all day comfort and not too fussy to put in. Suggestions?

I've heard that an audiologist can custom fit plugs for not too much. Anyone tried that?
I got an intercom system so can listen to music and auto answer phone calls but best thing is an extension to the screen stops 90% of noise up to 70 mph

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I had custom ones made from one of the venders at the Progressive Motorcycle show in Long Beach about 8 years ago. These are similar to the ones an audiologist will make. I am still using the same ones after all these years and over 100K miles. I have a hard time getting the foam ones to fit my ears. They also hurt after a day or two on a long trip. The custom ones I can wear on a two week trip without any discomfort. The custom ones slide right in and seal up the first time. No waiting for the foam to expand and hope they seal up right. I got tired of putting in the foam ones, getting them to seal up, put on my helmet and move my ear just a little and then loose the seal. Remove the helmet and start again. I use helmet speakers and can hear my music and coms system clear as a bell. The music even sounds better with the ear plugs in.

You are just going to have to try a bunch and see what works for you. Ear plugs are just like a motorcycle seat. What work great for one person will be horrible for the next.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Mighty Plugs "The World's Finest Earplugs" Soft Natural Ear Plugs Protectors
Pair required:Select 1 pair sample pack 2 pair travel pack 6 pair six pack 12 pair Value pack
  • Picture 1 of 7
  • Picture 2 of 7
  • Picture 3 of 7
  • Mighty Plugs The World's Finest Earplugs Soft Natural Ear Plugs Protectors

$15.95
+ $2.95 Shipping
  • from Glasgow, United Kingdom
  • • New condition
  • • 30 day returns - Buyer pays return shipping
(TOTAL) SNORE BLOCKING EAR PLUGS - The Highest Sound Blocking Snore Proof Ear Plugs In The World; Mighty Plugs are Soft, Moldable and SEAL the Ear Canal Upon Insertion. Perfect professional grade pillow soft earplugs.
Read full description

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I got a set of custom molded BigEar earplugs at the Progressive Motorcycle show in 2009 for $70. They work great everytime, no fussing with the fit like the expanding foam ones. I also listen to my Sena SMH10s music and intercom while wearing the plugs and I can hear it loud and clear.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Two things.

I have a hard time with the expandable foam (cheapy) type. They don't stay in well or begin to hurt after a while.
There is a proper way to insert these into your ear. You need to roll them into a thin "tooth pick" and then slide it deep into your ear so that they will expand. This holds them in place and blocks the noise.

there are considerable differences in the characteristics of ear wax from one person to another - some people have 'dry' ear wax, others have 'wet' ear wax
Excessive ear wax may prevent you from getting the plug into the hole. So try to clean your ears.
Lay on your side and use a eye dropper to fill your ear canal with olive oil, this will liquefy the dry wax. Wait 5 minutes.
Then flush out the rocks of wax with a ear bulb filled with warm water and soap. It might take a few passes to get it all out.
I have been surprised over the years at the size of the wax rocks that get washed out......

You will hear better and the plugs may fit better.
Yep,.. just became another oil thread... ;)

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Walmart pharmacy. I've often had earplugs in 18 hours a day after riding and then have a noisy campground. Walmart pharmacy area has 2 different soft plugs that are both soft and work well. One is straight sides and one is formed. Never had ear pain with these.
Walmart has worked fine for me. The purple straight sided ones. They seem identical to the blue HEAROS. All day quiet. all day comfy.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Like @paulcb , I prefer the disposable foam ones. My favourite is 3M EAR Yellow Neons - they are soft, conform to my ear canal well, and have excellent sound attenuation. The Yellow Neons are softer than the 'standard' 3M foam earplugs, and also have a rounded end.

I am aware that custom-fitted ones might be more comfortable, but the problem is losing them. The disposable ones cost very little if purchased in a large box of 100 or 1,000, and I can get about 3 days of use out of a pair before they become dirty (not from my ear, but from the time they spend in my pocket when I am not wearing them).

My younger sister spent some years working as an audiologist, and she advises me that there are considerable differences in the characteristics of ear wax from one person to another - some people have 'dry' ear wax, others have 'wet' ear wax. This might explain why a particular type of foam ear plug that one person raves about being really comfortable might not be comfortable for the next person. I think you need to experiment a bit with different types and different brands, and once you find ones you like, buy a huge box of them and stuff 'em in the unlocked fairing pocket of the motorcycle.

Michael

3M EAR Yellow Neons
earplugs.JPG
I like the 3M Neons. I purchased a huge box of them and just on my last 10.
Attenuation is excellent PLUS they stay in place as the helmet is pulled on, where some of the stiffer and custom ones can dislocate.
D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Plus one for the No Noise plugs. I tried foamies and another style but they always popped loose and were not effective. No Noise always stay put and are all day comfy. For me, at least.

I even use them for other activities like woodworking or running outdoor power equipment. When worn under good earmuff style external protectors I'm in my own little world.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Walmart has worked fine for me. The purple straight sided ones. They seem identical to the blue HEAROS. All day quiet. all day comfy.
+1

Flents foam ear plugs, found in the pharmacy section with ear care products.

I've been using them for years. I tried the Howard Leight Max plugs and they are not comfortable, I think they are too thick for my ears. Also, they tend to lose their elasticity after only a couple uses. I tried the 3M Radians and they are too narrow to block enough noise for me (but they work well for sleeping so I can still hear the alarm). They would be good for smaller ear canals. The purple Flents are the goldilocks ear plugs for me. They fit well, very comfortable, block the most sound of any that I have tried, and I can use them dozens of times before they start to lose their expanding properties.

But, as suggested above, ear canals and ear plugs are like arses and saddles, everyone is different so try a bunch and use what works for you. :)

Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
What does everyone use? I have a hard time with the expandable foam (cheapy) type. They don't stay in well or begin to hurt after a while. I want to cut down on the wind noise (have a full-face helmet) but still hear what's going on. Need all day comfort and not too fussy to put in. Suggestions?

I've heard that an audiologist can custom fit plugs for not too much. Anyone tried that?
By Far the most comfortable foam ear plugs I've tried - & I've tried A LOT, they are super-soft, made for smaller ear canals - EZ-Fit by 3M. I can leave them in all day with no-ear ache. I used to use the Laser-lites, which are good, but still were too big. I found EZ-Fit's here:
https://www.earplugstore.com/?campaign=adwords&kw=ear plug superstore&creative=372897151917&gclid=CjwKCAjwkdL6BRAREiwA-kiczClRJZwLe6Q08cvKhHAO-vOaH6wicaLFwnwBO5Y_84M9ke2S8A0C4RoCmlcQAvD_BwE

Found them after ordering a 40 pack sample kit from Ear Plug super store - great fun . . . Good luck.

Attachments

OP
OP
Tenknots
Hey, thanks so much for all the great advice! I have some brands now to try and see how they work. Maybe someday I'll get custom fitted plugs but for now I'm going to try the suggestions here.

Top Bottom