Electronic cruise control

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Keep wanting to install electronic cruise on my 05 non abs. Just a quick note on all you guys who have installed one. I am assuming the throttle on the handlebar will move when cruise is adjusting. Does that bother you or am I over thinking this?

I have an FJR with factory cruise and it doesn't affect the handlebar throttle when it is adjusting but just guessing it will on an ST. Leaning toward the McCruise simply because of plug and play and their throttle hookup down at the throttle bodies.

Any input appreciated.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got 3 MCCruises (installed on my three ST1100s) and I have been very pleased with them. There is some throttle movement but it usually so slight once set, that I don't really notice it. MCCruise makes a fine unit and their support is excellent in my experience.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I am a voice for the Rostra CC setup. IMO the electronic CC is superior as there is no reliance on engine vacuum which it limited in these engines. As far as throttle movement, minimal and yes you are overthinking it. I don't really notice as it needs so little throttle to power these bikes.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another thing to think about, normally you set it at 60 mph, it drops to 58 on a slight grade, so it only has to move a slight bit to its set point. it's not like a 1/4 turn on the grip. If your going up a rather steep hill, I'll roll on a bit of throttle before I hit the base of it to help it along, heck I also do that in a 4 wheelers that have cruise.
I never use it in curvy roads, mainly on straight stretches with gradual curves.
After market cruise is not as precise as factory installed, but it is sure nice to have. One of my favorite farkles.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I am assuming the throttle on the handlebar will move when cruise is adjusting. Does that bother you or am I over thinking this?
It will move, because it has to move - it's a mechanical connection. But, having said that, the amount of movement is so tiny I have never noticed it. In fact, I think I would have a hard time detecting the right handgrip being rotated by the cruise control if I actually went looking to see when the movement happens.

I have a ST 1300 fitted with the Australian cruise control system. I am very happy with it.

Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The throttle will move. You can adjust the free play at the handlebar so that you won't notice it. If you need to slow down just a little bit, you can twist the throttle backward for a moment. Too much back-pressure will make the cruise control quit.

McCruise was the best farkle I ever installed on my '05 ST1300. I use it constantly. It also maintains on long/steep downgrades.

On balance, which gives the best value for money for cc. I’ve seen lots of options on this site but they have a variety of prices. I guess I would have to factor in the cost f fitting as well, so some indication of difficulty / time would’ve helpful. Thanks all.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I installed the Rostra CC on my ST1300A. It works, but I'm not at all happy with it.
It holds speed pretty well over 60mph and if it isn't too hilly. But it surges every time I engage or resume it, and below 60mph it surges so much as to be useless.
I've tried various settings, none fix things fully.
The divide by 2 linkage, as mentioned in the thread by an Aussie gent looks like the real fix, but I'm wary of more messing with throttle linkage and possibly having it jam up.

Installation & setup was a big pain too - Plastic on and off multiple times to fool with it. I wish that I had just bit the bullet and gone with the MCCruise.

This winter's project is to remove the Rostra, and install the MCCruise. Doesn't pay to be cheap.....

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I would say mine was around $500 cdn for all the parts and pieces, maybe slightly less. As far as the install, I did mine over the snow season and it took a few days, but I soldered and shrink wrapped every connection etc. It is not a job for everyone, but with the instructions on here and patience, assistance from the members, it can be done. I did the 3rd on I installed in about 8 hours, and if I do another maybe I can get it down to 7:59.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I installed the Rostra CC on my ST1300A. It works, but I'm not at all happy with it.
It holds speed pretty well over 60mph and if it isn't too hilly. But it surges every time I engage or resume it, and below 60mph it surges so much as to be useless.
The divide by 2 linkage, as mentioned in the thread by an Aussie gent looks like the real fix, but I'm wary of more messing with throttle linkage and possibly having it jam up.

Installation & setup was a big pain too - Plastic on and off multiple times to fool with it. I wish that I had just bit the bullet and gone with the MCCruise.

This winter's project is to remove the Rostra, and install the MCCruise. Doesn't pay to be cheap.....
Unlike your, I have a very minimal surge, although only noticed when under 50. I have the straight pull with no divide by 2 device and am happy. Does the McCruise not surge?

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I also have the Rostra CC, I use it more than I expected too, mine does surge sometimes coming back on power after descending a step hill and starting to climb up the other side. Like others I'm in the habit of helping it in those situations, overall I'd not be without it now.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My MCCruises do not surge at all. The big difference may be that the MCCruise units are not 'retrofitted' automotive units but are designed for motorcycles. Mine even have an electronic 'throttle pull' adjustment if your throttle happens to be stiffer or looser than normal. Unless they have changed over the years, the installation instructions are very thorough with pictures and they include everything you need for the install down to the tie wraps. They also have a very thorough diagnostic manual if there are issues. What I liked about their units was everything 'pigtails' in and you are not cutting wires on the bike (unless they've changed that). On the ST1100s, to hook up a cruise control requires modifying the bell crank on the carbs which if you mess it up, you get to get new carbs. They got around this with a CIU - Cable Interface Unit- which greatly simplifies the cable management. I don't know if they use a CIU on the ST1300 kit since it is set up different with the Fuel injection. I bought mine back in 2005 so I have to presume the gentlemen running it have not changed what they do. They also discovered that ethanol fuel vapors seem to damage the o-rings in the vacuum unit over time, so they came out with a guide to replace them (they are bone stock o-rings). Mine have the 'older' brains so I recently bought some 'newer' brains so I could switch to the electronic cable unit instead of the vacuum units at some point. I haven't installed them yet as it takes a minor wiring change to install and my hands are still recovering from surgery. They have always been great to respond to any of my questions concerning the units - once even by phone from Australia. :biggrin:

I bought a bike with cruise on it, maybe the old audiovox or its newer replacement. It works more then good enough for my needs. It does use vacuum for control but for the money its fantastic. Some of those things get pricey for me.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A

Did you install a vacuum canister and check valve when you installed your Rostra CC? If not, that may be a source of your displeasure. Before buying and installing an Audiovox CCS-100, I read a bunch of posts and decided to use a vacuum canister. It worked pretty well until I experienced a front tire blowout that resulted in totaled bike and ruptured CC servo. The replacement 2005 ST1300A came with a McCruise electronic CC already installed; it works darn-near perfectly.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Did you install a vacuum canister and check valve when you installed your Rostra CC? If not, that may be a source of your displeasure. Before buying and installing an Audiovox CCS-100, . The replacement 2005 ST1300A came with a McCruise electronic CC already installed; it works darn-near perfectly.
There's no vacuum stuff with the electronic CC, it's just a cable linkage that you attach to the throttles.
I haven't seen any bad reviews of the MCCruise, except maybe the cost, so looks like that's the way to go for me.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My MCCruises do not surge at all. The big difference may be that the MCCruise units are not 'retrofitted' automotive units but are designed for motorcycles. Mine even have an electronic 'throttle pull' adjustment if your throttle happens to be stiffer or looser than normal. Unless they have changed over the years, the installation instructions are very thorough with pictures and they include everything you need for the install down to the tie wraps. They also have a very thorough diagnostic manual if there are issues. What I liked about their units was everything 'pigtails' in and you are not cutting wires on the bike (unless they've changed that). On the ST1100s, to hook up a cruise control requires modifying the bell crank on the carbs which if you mess it up, you get to get new carbs. They got around this with a CIU - Cable Interface Unit- which greatly simplifies the cable management. I don't know if they use a CIU on the ST1300 kit since it is set up different with the Fuel injection. I bought mine back in 2005 so I have to presume the gentlemen running it have not changed what they do. They also discovered that ethanol fuel vapors seem to damage the o-rings in the vacuum unit over time, so they came out with a guide to replace them (they are bone stock o-rings). Mine have the 'older' brains so I recently bought some 'newer' brains so I could switch to the electronic cable unit instead of the vacuum units at some point. I haven't installed them yet as it takes a minor wiring change to install and my hands are still recovering from surgery. They have always been great to respond to any of my questions concerning the units - once even by phone from Australia. :biggrin:
Thanks Phil - you're having 3 of these and being happy with them is a big part of the reason I'm going to buy the MCCruise. I have been reading the manuals and quite impressed with the attention to detail there, and (apparent) simplicity of installation. The fact that it's designed specifically for bikes, and not a hack like the Rostra install, is a big plus also.
Waiting a few weeks more, in case some more riding weather comes along, then will start de-installing the Rostra - and order the MCCruise.

Has any body tried making their own cc using a raspberry pi micro computer or equivalent. I’ve been thinking about this and the inputs should just be an adc for the speed and some input sensor on the break light circuit. Outputs should then be a motor attached to the throttle. The programme itself would be rather simple. Just a thought.

Top Bottom