Electronic cruise control

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Has any body tried making their own cc using a raspberry pi micro computer or equivalent. I’ve been thinking about this and the inputs should just be an adc for the speed and some input sensor on the break light circuit. Outputs should then be a motor attached to the throttle. The programme itself would be rather simple. Just a thought.
Brake light should be failsafe, checking for both on and off. Also need input for tach, sensing if you pull in clutch.

I like the ideal!

Bike
ST1300 ABS
I use a mechanical 'cruise' control and quite honestly it works as well as any......OK you gotta adjust for hills but to be honest how often do you take your hands off the bars......before spending a fortune on the electronic ones it's worth $100 and see if this satisfies your needed for a cruise control....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a mechanical 'cruise' control and quite honestly it works as well as any......OK you gotta adjust for hills but to be honest how often do you take your hands off the bars......before spending a fortune on the electronic ones it's worth $100 and see if this satisfies your needed for a cruise control....
You can spend a lot less than that with a Caterpillar o-ring that works as a throttle lock - about $5 IIRC when I bought mine years ago.;) I've also had NEP and Vista throttle locks and have a Go Cruise one (nice piece of kit) for when I rent a bike. But when you live and ride in the hills and mountains like I do, those devices are not very effective for anything over a few minutes if you are slabbing it for any distance. I've had 6 hand surgeries so being able to give my right hand some extended relief makes doing long distances possible for me. Due to many orthepedic 'adventures' I've gotten really good at riding with one hand or the other over the years. I even set a personal record on the Natchez Trace one day of riding 25 miles with no hands- and electronic cruise control. :biggrin: There's even a picture of me somewhere floating around where I'm riding standing up with no hands. :eek:

Bike
ST1300 ABS
You can spend a lot less than that with a Caterpillar o-ring that works as a throttle lock - about $5 IIRC when I bought mine years ago.;) I've also had NEP and Vista throttle locks and have a Go Cruise one (nice piece of kit) for when I rent a bike. But when you live and ride in the hills and mountains like I do, those devices are not very effective for anything over a few minutes if you are slabbing it for any distance. I've had 6 hand surgeries so being able to give my right hand some extended relief makes doing long distances possible for me. Due to many orthepedic 'adventures' I've gotten really good at riding with one hand or the other over the years. I even set a personal record on the Natchez Trace one day of riding 25 miles with no hands- and electronic cruise control. :biggrin: There's even a picture of me somewhere floating around where I'm riding standing up with no hands. :eek:
Let's hope you don't hit a pothole or stone or have to swerve for some other idiot on the road.....safe riding....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Let's hope you don't hit a pothole or stone or have to swerve for some other idiot on the road.....safe riding....
I have managed those 'unpleasant' events quite well one handed. ;) No hands and standing up was done on the Natchez Trace where the pavement is butter smooth and the traffic is seldom seen - just so you don't think I'm completely insane - just partially. :biggrin:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A throttle lock works for me but I can see how a lot of people prefer a cruise control instead.

If I was looking to buy a bike and there were two versions- one with and one without cruise control I'd take the one with.

I'm not up to the task of installing one. But if I were then there'd probably be one instead of a Go-Cruise throttle lock.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I have a vacuum cc in a box somewhere in the garage. Would there be a intrest in it you good folks think? I'm wondering if it's worth getting its info and posting for sale?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm not up to the task of installing one. But if I were then there'd probably be one instead of a Go-Cruise throttle lock.
That was my general opinion until I saw the installation documentation for the MCCruise. I actually did it while recovering from an elbow surgery. They do an excellent, detailed job including pictures which takes a lot of the 'mystery' out of the process. Then you have diagnostic procedures to determine if the install had any problems before you 'test' ride.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
After reading through this thread I took a look at the MCCruise site for pricing. $1000! :eek: I guess I'll stick with my Throttlemeister. It gives me the right wrist strain relief I need and I don't really even think about the little adjustments I now make automatically as the road slope changes. Sometimes good enough is just that. :)

Bike
ST1300 ABS
After reading through this thread I took a look at the MCCruise site for pricing. $1000! :eek: I guess I'll stick with my Throttlemeister. It gives me the right wrist strain relief I need and I don't really even think about the little adjustments I now make automatically as the road slope changes. Sometimes good enough is just that. :)
I've a Kaoko, 138 bucks, replaces bar end weight, fit in minutes works a dream....

Bike
ST1300 ABS
between Kaoko and Throttlemeister is Kaoko much easier to grip due to 'castle' nut, lots if complaints Throttlemeister difficult to grab in comparison but I also understand there is a knurled part you can get to solve this but if buying new go kaoko.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The price of the MCCruise has a lot to do with the 'value' of the USD at the time. When I got mine, they were around $500 as the dollar was strong against the Aussie dollar. The cheapest electronic model is the Audiovox or some permutation of it that's still around. Nothing wrong with throttle locks as I have several of them. But Electronic Cruise Controls are like parking brakes - you don't know what you've missed until to get one. :biggrin: At the end of the day, their real value is on long trips when you have lots of miles to cover. BTW, you will find that you get improved gas mileage using an electronic cruise control - or at least I have - but not enough to pay for the unit. ;) Anytime you look at some 'improvement' the question to ask is 'How many years am I keeping this bike?'. For me, I'm keeping my ST1100s until me or them turn into dirt. So if you prorate the cost over x number of years, it can be so cheap it almost becomes free... :biggrin:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
After reading through this thread I took a look at the MCCruise site for pricing. $1000! :eek:
That scared me off initially too, but note: the price on their website is in Aussie -Not US - dollars. It is pricey, but not quite that bad:

1541362593762.png

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Anytime you look at some 'improvement' the question to ask is 'How many years am I keeping this bike?'... So if you prorate the cost over x number of years, it can be so cheap it almost becomes free...
In a nutshell. As to the price there was a Whiskey Tango moment at $1000 but then I saw it was AUD which like CDN converts to something like $1.29. Ok maybe a little more but at least the sticker shock doesn't hurt as much. Or as much as my backside after a ride to Unc's for installation pointers.

Bike
04 ST1300
[QUOTE="BTW, you will find that you get improved gas mileage using an electronic cruise control - or at least I have -[/QUOTE]

I have noticed improved gas mileage even with a throttle lock, especially on flat surfaces. Got about 286 miles at an indicated 80 mph, before the reserve kicked in, going from Illinois to pittsburgh, as most of indiana and a lot of ohio on I-80 is pretty flat.

Top Bottom