Votes: 3 4.0%
  • OUTSTANDING: I have an FCE w/issues

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • REPLACED: I had an FCE w/issues and it was replaced, still have issues

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Skunkape, I did not know you could reset the ECU. Perhaps it will reset the FCE at the same time. I would like to give it a try. So, do it just turn the kill switch to off and wait then for the FI light to go off, then flick the switch back to on and restart? Thanks for the tip.
Kenny

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I believe that is the procedure. Also wait for the FI light to go off after turning the kill switch back on before starting. I can't say that I find it to make any difference. I think.

I sent my early FCE back last week to get the new improved model. Hope it works. In wait mode now.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Skunkape,

I'm right on the edge of ordering one. I'd appreciate you getting back to us with your feedback on the updated one.

Mark

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Mine is working again. I have no idea what I did. I knew it stopped working when the throttle was very abrupt after the winter storage. Perhaps it is tied in with the temperature of the incoming air. It is 78F out, and the FCE is working flawlessly. The throttle is smooth as silk. I could ride in the stop and go traffic just keeping the bike in first gear.
Kenny

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Been on for a couple days now however not a whole bunch of riding yet. Initial impression is that it is smoother running and not quite as much snatch. It still will snatch when turning a corner such as off one street on to another in a neighborhood (slow). I never had a problem in twisties and higher speed turns. Seems to be a little better going down Main St. (20mph) or in slow moving traffic. I wouldn't call the difference earth shattering, but it is better than it was. The engine does seem to run smoother. It definitely runs more rich when I start it up in the garage or in close quarters. Over all I think it is a somewhat better but not $130 worth. If I hadn't already cut my wires I wouldn't. My :tc1:

Skunkape,

I'm right on the edge of ordering one. I'd appreciate you getting back to us with your feedback on the updated one.

Mark

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Sorry to hear the less than stellar reviews recently posted. I have been putting off installing mine...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Mine is still keeping my '06 smooth running, with the snatch being much more manageable than without the FCE. Alas, I have had 3 or 4 occasions when it stopped operating. To reboot without stopping, I pulled in the clutch, hit the kill switch, coasted a few hundred feet, turned the kill switch to "run," hit the starter button (or let out the clutch), and all was good for many more miles. The stoppages occurred only when the bike sat briefly (15-20 minute break) during long rides on hot days.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Been on for a couple days now however not a whole bunch of riding yet. Initial impression is that it is smoother running and not quite as much snatch. It still will snatch when turning a corner such as off one street on to another in a neighborhood (slow). I never had a problem in twisties and higher speed turns. Seems to be a little better going down Main St. (20mph) or in slow moving traffic. I wouldn't call the difference earth shattering, but it is better than it was. The engine does seem to run smoother. It definitely runs more rich when I start it up in the garage or in close quarters. Over all I think it is a somewhat better but not $130 worth. If I hadn't already cut my wires I wouldn't. My :tc1:
PM sent

Bike
2007 ST1300
WITH K&N??? Re: (FCE) Fuel Cut Eliminator for ST1300 - On-Off Throttle Issue Resolved

Has anyone with an FCE that's working correctly used it in conjunction with a K&N Air filter??? Ivan basically says not to use one, but... I'd sure like to... Bike Bandit has a good price now as well..

Thanks, Jan...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
and no problems I take it... ?
No problems other than a "reboot on the fly" (see post number 618 above). I've given some thought to sending it back for one of the newer versions, but the reboots reminded me how much I disliked the snatch ... and how much difference I feel with the FCE operating. After having it this long, I often forget how much improvement it provides. Basically, I've gotten used to it working almost all the time ("almost" being 99.99% of the time I've had it.). So I figure I'm going to leave it as is. Besides, I don't want to go without it for any length of time.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Just ran through the Cherohalla Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, and the Snake! My FCE improved the ST1300's performance very much over last year sans the FCE. The 'snatch' is still apparent in 1st gear, but most of the corners I was in 2nd or higher, and the scarey off/on jump was gone. Also running in 90+ humid weather, and no issues I don't think... Guess I am one of the lucky ones.....I'm not sure about the hot weather performance issues, I've not experienced the delayed acceleration thing, but the FCE does seem to quit working occasionally, and an OFF/ON cures that...

Bike
ST1300 2002
Seems to be some debate as to the benifits of fitting the FCE...some say amazing....others not so sure. I like the concept but I am not convinced of the reliability of the units. Problems can arise from manufacture...and even installation, as a high resistance or poorly crimped connector could cause some problems? Every ST will have some small differences in set up and performance and this again could be the difference between good or bad FCE performance.

I read this forum, and decided to call Ivan and order one for my '07 ST1300. The bike is mechanically stock- stock pipes/air filter/plugs. I had just done a long loop through Canada, and found the on/off throttle "snatch" to be unbearable. My riding buddy had an older carbureted Yamaha FJR and he had a lot of fun in the sharp twisties Canada has to offer, but I was fighting my bike most of the time. And Canada has a lot of twisties!

Ivan was a nice guy, and answered all my questions over the phone before I ordered. He was a little defensive about the product- I think there a lot of customers out there that don't understand the little things that can go wrong when you rush an install that requires splicing into your ECU. Just follow the directions EXACTLY. And Ivan includes an extra few crimping parts so you can practise with the crimper- very thoughtful.

I recieved the FCE one week after ordering it, just as Ivan promised. The instructions could not have been any more clear, and the crimping tool he sent with the kit was excellent. I followed his instructions exactly, and it only took 2 hours for me to do the install. (I was being exceedingly careful- this is the ECU we are talking about!!!). The install could not have been smoother. Most of the time was spent removing the body panels, and carefully measuring and crimping the wires.

I have ridden the bike on my commute and a canyon run, and the throttle is now tamed! I can smoothly roll the throttle on and off, and high speed cornering (50+mph) is problem free! The most noticeable change is at small percentages of throttle- I can vary the throttle forward and back and the bike isn't acting like I am flipping a light switch on and off. Definitely worth the $130.

I must note the following though: There is a lot of "driveline lash" on the ST. I think this contributes to the "lurch" many riders still experience after installing the FCE. When you throttle up, the drive line elements must all clash against each other. My rear tire (when in first gear on the centerstand) can be moved about 2" (total travel) forwards and backwards (as measured on the outer diameter of the tread). If you are hard on the throttle, snapping it quickly from a "full off" position, you will always experience a "lurch" that is attributable to the looseness of the drivetrain- essentially the engine spins up before it starts applying power to the wheel. As soon as the driveline catches up, it smacks the rear tire pretty good :)

The difference with the FCE installed is that you have the ABILITY to SMOOTHLY roll the throttle on and off. Before you were stuck with what was essentially a light switch. Once again- definitely worth the $'s and time to install the FCE.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Ask Ivan whether he knows that the UK distributors don't include the crimper with his FCE. They sell the FCE for ?95.00 ($155.00) and then sell the crimper for another ?13.97 ($22.80). Plus no chance of an exchange if the updated version of the FCE is needed. :mad:

Bike
2010 ST1300ABS
I have had FCE installed on my bike for almost a year and have just removed it to find any noticeable differences.
I must say that I find no significant changes in the bikes ability to handle the speed and gear changes necessary for cornering or slow town work.

I do however notice a difference in the mpg a slow speeds, this is the ST reading of miles / Ltr, with FCE installed 7 to 8 miles / Ltr in 4th gear at 30 mph.

No FCE installed I get an indicated 12 to 13 miles / Ltr in 4th at 30 mph.

My conclusion is that the FCE is giving me no noticeable improvement and lower mpg, I have therefore decided to run the bike as standard.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have an '06 ST13 and noticed virtually no difference with/without the FCE. I even went as far as to construct a small box with six switches in it so that I could quickly turn it on and off while experimenting with it. I went to a local dead mall that has a huge parking lot. I traversed the exact same stretch dozens of times, shutting down the bike after every few runs to flip the switches, and then riding again. The FCE did change some of the throttle behavior, but I never once experienced the disappearance of the "kick" when getting back on the throttle. I ended up removing the FCE and purchasing a throttle tamer and a set of Grip Puppies. That combination made the off/on effects much easier to manage.

It's my understanding that the "cutoff" feature is there to improve emmissions, but it can induce dangerous situations when negotiating tight, slow turns when you need to get back on the throttle without hesitation. If I were the designers I would have worked hard to greatly reduce if not eliminate that characteristic before the first bike was shipped. I wonder how much of a difference in the emissions there would be if it simply dropped to idle instead of completely cutting off? Just a thought...

Top Bottom