Final drive SAE 80 Hypoid gear oil

Does the following meet or exceed the specifications used by Honda oil? The following is selling on ebay??

1L FanFaro MAX 5 HYPOID Manual Gear Oil SAE 80W90 API GL 5 MIL-L-2105 D
FANFARO MAX5 80W-90 GL-5

SPECIFICATIONS
APPROVAL
RECOMMENDATION

SAE 80W-90
API GL-5 LS (Limited Slip)
MIL L 2105 D

A universal all-season mineral-based gear oil. It was developed for hypoid gears withstanding extreme loads; in heavy-duty bevel, cylindrical and worm pairs. It is recommended for use in differentials (including excessive friction – LS). It may be used for all types of manual transmissions, including the ones withstanding extremely heavy loads and high temperatures and in other transmission parts where extreme pressure and impact loads are encountered.

Product properties:
- The highest-quality unique base with optimal viscosity in a wide range of temperatures in combination with a latest-generation additive package in an elevated concentration ensures excellent antifriction properties thus ensuring a significant fuel economy;
- Due to its balanced composition, it ensures excellent antiwear and superior anti-scuffing properties that significantly extend the expected life of the technical equipment in all, even the most extreme, modes of operation in a wide range of ambient temperatures. The oil film has an enhanced resistance to increased pressures and temperatures. It prevents differentials from jamming and reduces piston wear. It ensures a reliable operation of self-locking differentials;
- It provides required low-temperature properties that ensure a sufficiently easy starting, reliable lubrication, as well as, when using the manual transmission, an easy and precise transmission shift at any ambient temperature (up to -30 °C) and in any operating conditions;
- It has an enhanced thermal-oxidative stability, resistance to the thermal degradation, ageing and viscosity stability that allows increasing the time between oil changes and reducing equipment maintenance costs;
- It decreases noise;
- It does not corrode non-ferrous metals;
- It is compatible with sealing materials, prevents them from swelling, hardening and shrinking that allows reducing the costs for spare parts.

It is recommended for use in manual transmissions of passenger cars and heavy-load manual transmissions of highway (freight trucks, buses, etc.), off-road (construction, mining, agricultural) and special vehicles produced by European, American and Asian manufacturers in which the required level of service characteristics is MIL-L 2105 D.
Comply with the manufacturer’s instructions provided in the user’s manual.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
This oil is made in Lithuania. Not sure of the quality of it as until now I have never heard of it. I would recommend Mobil 1 or another name brand but it may be just fine.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The HSM says Hypoid gear oil, SAE 80. I'd think it is probably fine, but I'd go with a single weight oil, and not a multi wt, like this. Given how often this is changed (not often) and how little is used, why would you go with an off brand and not one of the major brands available in Walmart or any auto parts store? Ohhhhhh, you are in Manchester, UK, and not Manchester, Vermont, New Hampshire, Tennessee, etc. Surely you have brand names there you can trust. Well, then, maybe one of our members on your side of the puddle will chime in. @Upt' North, what say you?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You guys across the pond know the complexities of the common market better than we yanks do so that would be your decision on whether to buy a product from Lithuania or not. The 80W 90 multigrade is fine, it’s getting increasingly hard to find a straight 80 weight hypoid.

Edited to remove earlier reference to GL-5 as a requirement as I couldn't find reference in the service or owners manuals.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
The HSM says Hypoid gear oil, SAE 80. I'd think it is probably fine, but I'd go with a single weight oil, and not a multi wt, like this. Given how often this is changed (not often) and how little is used, why would you go with an off brand and not one of the major brands available in Walmart or any auto parts store? Ohhhhhh, you are in Manchester, UK, and not Manchester, Vermont, New Hampshire, Tennessee, etc. Surely you have brand names there you can trust. Well, then, maybe one of our members on your side of the puddle will chime in. @Upt' North, what say you?
You can still buy straight 80 GL5 over here, so why not. I think LiquiMoly still do one.
I'd stick with the recommended but I'm sure lots of other multis would work too. But personally, meh.
Upt.

OP
OP
Yep if i could find a straight 80 then i would go with it. This was more about the grade and asking if 80-90 is ok in principle. Lithuania is in the EU, so in terms of products standards and QA, thry are standardised accross the EU or they wouldnt be allowed to sell it.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Yep if i could find a straight 80 then i would go with it. This was more about the grade and asking if 80-90 is ok in principle. Lithuania is in the EU, so in terms of products standards and QA, thry are standardised accross the EU or they wouldnt be allowed to sell it.
Just for your information. As for whether the other is suitable, I haven't read the details but if it has the characteristics of 80 SAE gear oil in a GL5 format then it probably is?
I haven't read the full details of this product either so satisfy yourself to make sure it's compatible.
Upt.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Careful, GL-4 is not GL-5 (although I haven't bothered to check what the manual actually calls for)
The Honda Service Manual simply says Hypoid Gear Oil, SAE 80. None of this mumbo jumbo about GL-4 or 5. Does GL stand for Gold Ling? :rofl1:

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There's nothing wrong with "multi-viscosity" oils. My post from an engine-oil thread:

A multi-viscosity oil actually just varies less with temperature changes. For example, a 10W-40 oil has the viscosity of a straight 10-weight oil at 0 deg. C, and that of a straight 40-weight oil at 100 deg. C.

Thus it flows easily like a thin oil when cold for better lubrication at start-up, yet doesn't thin out as much as a straight-weight oil would for better protection as the engine reaches operating temperatures.

Bike
R1200rt
Hypoid gearing does require GL-5, period...
Correct . GL-4 gear oils are typically recommended for spur and helical gears found in manual transmissions and transaxles operating under moderate speeds and loads. GL-5 gear oils are typically recommended for hypoid gears in automotive axles operating under high-speed, high-load conditions.

Bike
R1200rt
any gl-5 or gl-6 will work (contrary to all the st differential failures :rofl1: ) 75/140 is what the BMW dealer put in the trans and diff on the my r1200rt, I have all the dealer receipts from p.o.. I would not recomend 75/140 if your taking the bike out in extreem cold

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A close up.. sayes its for diff on bikes etc
I would use GL-5. It is the far better choice and readily available, so there is no reason not to use it.

The difference of importance between GL-4 and GL-5 is the additive package. GL-5 has about twice as much of the additive that is specifically intended to protect hypoid gears, which is what is in the final drive. I would much rather have the 80W90 GL-5 than the straight weight 80 GL-4 without question.

I would further suggest that you buy yourself a litre of GL-5 rated synthetic oil. The amount of oil that you will use in the final drive over the life of your ownership if you follow the Honda maintenance schedule makes the additional cost irrelevant. The synthetic oils perform better in every respect.
That same company sells several synthetic GL-5 rated oils.

Last edited:
Top Bottom