Final drive SAE 80 Hypoid gear oil

Bike
R1200rt
Right from Castrol oil

API GL-4 – Intended for gear sets with light to heavy load and sliding forces. GL-4 lubricants are often used in syncromesh manual shift on-road and off-road truck transmissions.

API GL-5 – Intended for heavily loaded gear sets with high sliding forces such as hypoid differentials. GL-5 lubricants contain high levels of extreme-pressure additives to provide protection under boundary lubrication conditions

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A8
Motul 75-140 GL5
This is the best you can do to your final drive. Every driver of a BMW K75-1200 swears by this oil.
The driver of a Boxer model as well. And for both series, this is also used in the transmission.
I've used this for almost 28 years in various BMW models, never had any problems with final drive or transmission and since 2019 in my Pan.
greetings from germany
holm

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
GL5's have additives that don't play well with yellow metals, synchronizers and such, in transmissions, transaxles. If there is no yellow metal, a GL5 will be fine.
Curiously enough there are now gear oils that have a combined GL-4 and GL-5 rating and are listed as yellow metal safe.

I guess as science marches on the additives that are being used improve.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
this is what I love about Internet information sources, see the two highlighted lines and then tell me if GL-4 is or isn't made for hypoid gears.

Capture.JPG

The recommendation that was given to me by a Goldwing mechanic was to change the gear lube in the diff every other engine oil change.
Have not even looked at manual to see what Honda recommends, the finals use so much that it doesn't even bother me to it this way.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The recommendation that was given to me by a Goldwing mechanic was to change the gear lube in the diff every other engine oil change.
Have not even looked at manual to see what Honda recommends, the finals use so much that it doesn't even bother me to it this way.
the recommendation that was given to me by the founder and owner of Maxima oils was "change it once with synthetic, and forget about it". I told him I was planning on putting over 100k miles on the bike, he said again "change it once with synthetic and forget about it". Just to play it safe, I've changed it twice in the 26 years I've owned the bike, it has 121k miles now.

Honda manual says replace every 24k miles.

Last edited:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
It takes less than 4 ounces?, l think.l changed it every oil change & didn’t need to think a squat.

Oh yeah and just loved that fragrant scent,and easy to clean oily film that seemed to even get past nitrile gloves

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
More frequent changes using the wrong product is not better. The frequency with which the final drive oil is changed and what product is being put in are two completely different things.
Changing it more frequently with an inferior or incorrect and possibly harmful product is worse than changing it less frequently.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The final drive in a motorcycle is not a differential. Differentials allow in the inside wheel of two wheels on an axle to turn slower than the outside wheel when the vehicle describes an arc. A differential divides power between two wheels on a common axle. Or something like that.

Final drive and not differential is a small point but lets use differential as the Word Of The Day.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Totally irrelevant to the thread, I like the name "Gatoroils". Did not know there were "Gators" in the UK? :rofl1:

Bike
R1200rt
since I didn't get it the first time, how about you explain it to me.
Paragraph 1. GL4 for gears comonly found in manual transmissions and transaxles. Paragraph 2. These gears operate under moderate speeds and load.

Paragraph 1 GL5 They designed hypoid gear oil for gears found in automotive axles. These gears are subject to high speed , high load conditions and need more EP protection.
:thumb:

Top Bottom