Final drive SAE 80 Hypoid gear oil

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Make it ez on your selves go to a Napa or whatever. Get castrol synthetic Hypoid gear oil,in a 1 Qt jug.Costs less lunch nowadays.
will last you for half the life of that bike if you change it every other engine oil change(which is over doing it).
Get out and burn that Cheap gas while we let the Greenies fly around in their private jets

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Paragraph 1. GL4 for gears comonly found in manual transmissions and transaxles. Paragraph 2. These gears operate under moderate speeds and load.

Paragraph 1 GL5 They designed hypoid gear oil for gears found in automotive axles. These gears are subject to high speed , high load conditions and need more EP protection.
:thumb:
I think you misunderstood my question, and answered something different.

I get the differences between GL-4 and GL-5, I wasn't asking about that, or the applicability of GL-4 in this thread.

If you look at the text I highlighted, in one sentence it says GL-4 was developed for hypoid gears, then in the other sentence it says to never use GL-4 for hypoid gears. I was pointing out the apparent contradiction, that's all.

OP
OP
I love the idea of hypoid gears in my final drive. They are so round, coggy and yummy but i dont think i could eat a full one..

Bike
R1200rt

I get the differences between GL-4 and GL-5, I wasn't asking about that, or the applicability of GL-4 in this thread.

If you look at the text I highlighted, in one sentence it says GL-4 was developed for hypoid gears, then in the other sentence it says to never use GL-4 for hypoid gears. I was pointing out the apparent contradiction, that's all.
in that context they are talking about axles ...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

I am no lubrication engineer, nor have I launched a research mission in to this, so grain of salt and all that.

From what I remember, and based on some assumptions on my part, GL-4 is a suitable lubricant for hypoid gears but at the pressure forces that were common at the time and met the requirements of the day. Given the continually increasing power and loads that differentials were being subjected to, which I assume was likely the catalyst for developing GL-5, something more protective of the gears was required. GL-5 has almost double the amount of the additives that provide protection to the gear surfaces and offers far superior protection than GL-4. Given the far superior protection offered by GL-5, GL-5 became the standard for differentials regardless of what the actual need was.

However, the higher concentration of these additives is also harmful to the so called yellow metals used in manual transmissions, such as the synchros. Consequently, GL-5 could not be used in the majority of manual transmissions. It could only be used in differentials. As a result GL-4, even though it was a hypoid gear oil, became regulated to use in gear boxes and GL-5 became the standard for differentials.

Again, this is based on what I think that I remember learning/hearing/being told years ago and may be completely off the mark. I'm just offering a thought.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I am no lubrication engineer, nor have I launched a research mission in to this, so grain of salt and all that.

From what I remember, and based on some assumptions on my part, GL-4 is a suitable lubricant for hypoid gears but at the pressure forces that were common at the time and met the requirements of the day. Given the continually increasing power and loads that differentials were being subjected to, which I assume was likely the catalyst for developing GL-5, something more protective of the gears was required. GL-5 has almost double the amount of the additives that provide protection to the gear surfaces and offers far superior protection than GL-4. Given the far superior protection offered by GL-5, GL-5 became the standard for differentials regardless of what the actual need was.

However, the higher concentration of these additives is also harmful to the so called yellow metals used in manual transmissions, such as the synchros. Consequently, GL-5 could not be used in the majority of manual transmissions. It could only be used in differentials. As a result GL-4, even though it was a hypoid gear oil, became regulated to use in gear boxes and GL-5 became the standard for differentials.

Again, this is based on what I think that I remember learning/hearing/being told years ago and may be completely off the mark. I'm just offering a thought.
Or people can just buy the Honda gear oil for $4.99 a bottle a be done with it:)

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Or people can just buy the Honda gear oil for $4.99 a bottle a be done with it:)
For me its more about convenience. I already have a supply of gear oil. I probably have at least 4-5 different types. Buying another is annoying. Before motor oil got so specific and I had an all-diesel fleet, one motor oil, one gear lube, one transmission oil, and one ATF. 4 lubricants usually purchased in bulk did everything. Its much much simpler like this.

Top Bottom