First ST tire change with Harbor Freight changer

Bike
ST1300
Just completed my first tire change on my ST1300. I purchased a Harbor Freight changer and modified it with Mojoblocks and a Mojolever. I strapped the rim to the changer frame and didn?t use the upper section of the changer; it was just in the way. With a little soap and water the de-mount was very easy for both front and rear. I never had it so easy!! With a little more soap and water mounting the front tire was also very easy. Mounting the first bead of the rear tire was much less pain than any other method I?ve used in the past. But, I did have a difficult time with the last 1/3 of the second rear bead. As I levered around the tire, I used 3/4" thick blocks to keep the tire away from the rim seal, but still had to use a LOT of force to mount last 1/3 of the bead. I had a Valk and used 3 spoons to mount/demount the rear, I think the smaller sidewall area is making the ST much harder to mount.
OK, I know some of you have the same setup and know a few tips that will keep me from sweating the next time. I used soap and water, is there a better lubricant for mounting? Would thicker or thinner blocks help? I?m sure there are a few tricks out there I?m missing? I?m mounting BT-020 F?s (ST OEM tire). Got 7,500 miles on the first set.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think Byron said the 020s are very tough to install.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
All rear tires are more difficult to install on the last bead - that's at least 70% of the job to change a set of tires.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I've done my front once and rear twice with my HF changer, the front is a breeze, the rear is not. I didnt need to strap the front, but definately need to for the rear. The 020s are stiff. I use several small blocks, and a soap/water mix. The trick is to make sure the bead is well lubricated that last little bit so it doesnt bind on the lever. I may wind up getting the paste from No-mar, it looks like it works pretty well.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
No-Mar also has something called a third hand for holding the Bead in the Groove. It works very well and saves a lot of time.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I like to leave my new tires out in the sun, turning them periodically, for a couple of hours before mounting. Makes them somewhat easier to mount for sure. By far the Avons seem to be the easiest though.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I like to leave my new tires out in the sun, turning them periodically, for a couple of hours before mounting. Makes them somewhat easier to mount for sure. .
I also was somewhat disappointed in my new HF unit in having to work harder than I thought was going to be necessary in changing out a front BS 020. Setting the tire in the sun first sounds good.

I use Dupont Teflon Silicone lube aersol (10 oz/Lowes) to slicken things up. Dupont also carries the Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lube (11 oz/Lowes) that I use on my O-ring chain drive bike. Very clean w/no messy rear wheel.

:04biker::)

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I like to leave my new tires out in the sun, turning them periodically, for a couple of hours before mounting. Makes them somewhat easier to mount for sure.

I just heat them up a little with a Torch. It's much faster than relying on Solar Power. It also allows for you to localize the heat on specific areas of difficulty. :D

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I just heat them up a little with a Torch. It's much faster than relying on Solar Power. It also allows for you to localize the heat on specific areas of difficulty. :D
You're kidding, right, Alicia? ...............maybe your not.

Anyway, I live in the south and have plenty of time and solar. That black tire in the sun will heat up faster than you may think.

:04biker::eek:

I have the same exact set-up and have done about 6 tires. To me the key is keeping the tire up in the rim. Extra hands doing that helps. I posted once about using hand cleaner for lube and got a few negative remarks but have been using it for about 30 years with no negative effects. The hardest tire, 17-50-190 was the toughtest. It was the rear of the new Kawi Concours 1400 my son has and it took both of us, it is so wide but short sidewalls.

Last edited:
STOC #
ST/ SV

well you live in texas <HOT> and have a 13 and a son with a connie14. Whats the verdict on the connie14 heat compared to the st. Sorry for the hijack

ST/ SV

well you live in texas <HOT> and have a 13 and a son with a connie14. Whats the verdict on the connie14 heat compared to the st. Sorry for the hijack
I only rode it once after he first got it and only put about 10 miles on it during the "break-in" but loved it. It was during the fall so I can't give you a good answer but didn't notice any heat at the time, I would have to guess it was about the same as the ST's. I love my ST but I posted way back on a Connie thread we had that if mine was stolen or wrecked I would probably go back with one instead of the ST. :eek:

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
...I used soap and water, is there a better lubricant for mounting? ...
Yes, Pledge furniture polish in a spray can...doesn't take very much to lube the tire bead, doesn't drip inside the tire, with minimal care none gets on the tire friction surface (if it does, it wipes off easy), and it's cheap and easy to find at any grocery, Target, WM, etc.

Top Bottom