Found the adapter plate, upgrade completed.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The red female plug with the three yellow leads is hardwired directly to the 28amper’s stator which is removed as a unit and discarded.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The white wire is removed from the bike. Snip it at the black 2P connector with the black wire but leave the black wire. That now 1P plug connects to the 40amper’s connector. Look at the picture of the upgrade wiring harness in my gallery (and posted elsewhere here and on ST-Riders).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If your white 6P plug to the VRR is in good shape, leave enough length to the wire leads to it so that someone who needs one (theirs is damaged) and is trying to keep a 28amp system working, can splice it into their harness.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Bing!!! That's the sound of this wiring stuff suddenly making sense ( Thanks to John O' s wisdom and after studying the links he provided again)! I got the new 96+ wire harness (3210-MAJ-G40) that goes from the alternator to the fused block etc, so won't have to try to rebuild the one on my 94. My one question is, after I remove the VRR and the white male plug end (is male ok to say in this stinking PC world?), snip the right wires (hopefully) and unplug the male end of the red plug, I'll still have the female end of the red plug that just won't be used anymore? Is that correct?
Mostly, except that the plug ends should now be referred to as “xx” or “xy” so as not to sound sexist :rofl1:

STOC #
If your white 6P plug to the VRR is in good shape, leave enough length to the wire leads to it so that someone who needs one (theirs is damaged) and is trying to keep a 28amp system working, can splice it into their harness.
Ned,
I'll take that white 6P plug when you do your upgrade. I'm planning to to keep my 28 Amp system and would like to replace the burned white 6P plug which I had to cut up. These ST1100 are getting quite labor intensive for formerly stone reliable bikes. Same can be said for me at 73yo.

Thanks,
Ed

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Can someone please post an image of the 1996-2002 alt fuse block?
Then what would be wrong with buying a used, 1996 or later, wiring harness from a standard ST1100?
Yep. For folks doing the upgrade with salvage parts, I recommend doing just that.
Ned, now that the USPS has delivered the 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kit, the documentation package should clear everything up for you.
For others, (from my alt album) here’s what the 96-02 harness looks like with the fuseblock (a.k.a., fuseable link) attached:
1595285828274.jpeg
edit: credit image to Joe Urban, STOC 4889
Note: the fuseblock’s black plastic cover with stored spare links isn’t shown, sorry, can’t find an image right now.
Note the black female 2P (w/single black lead) that mounts to the frame in place of the old one, and into which the 28amper’s male 2P (now 1P with the white lead snipped out) plugs.
Also note the short lead from the bottom side of the fuseblock to the common starter-relay/battery connection. This is the only lead that DIYers need to fabricate on their own. As the ring connector to attach it to the starter relay needs to be quite small in order to fit there, the selection of even normally available uninsulated connectors is problematic when trying to crimp one onto 10 AWG wire. BTDT So I recommend running this lead right to the pos+ battery post instead, using larger ring connectors. Much easier and works the same. FWIW

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ned in Utah
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Well I got John O.'s install kit (wow that thing has everything) and started taking the bike apart yesterday. Waited all week for my OEM fuse block to come, then got a nasty gram saying that Covid-19 was affecting their suppliers so it would be delayed with apologies for any inconvenience. Man, the riding season is going to be over soon, so I'm pressing on with game plane B!

0727201346[1].jpg

Bike
'92 ST1100
STOC #
Ned, now that the USPS has delivered the 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kit, the documentation package should clear everything up for you.
For others, (from my alt album) here’s what the 96-02 harness looks like with the fuseblock (a.k.a., fuseable link) attached:
1595285828274.jpeg
Note: the fuseblock’s black plastic cover with stored spare links isn’t shown, sorry, can’t find an image right now.
Note the black female 2P (w/single black lead) that mounts to the frame in place of the old one, and into which the 28amper’s male 2P (now 1P with the white lead snipped out) plugs.
Also note the short lead from the bottom side of the fuseblock to the common starter-relay/battery connection. This is the only lead that DIYers need to fabricate on their own. As the ring connector to attach it to the starter relay needs to be quite small in order to fit there, the selection of even normally available uninsulated connectors is problematic when trying to crimp one onto 10 AWG wire. BTDT So I recommend running this lead right to the pos+ battery post instead, using larger ring connectors. Much easier and works the same. FWIW

John
I John, great pic/info. Is there a way to direct message you with an alternator question? Thanks! Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
1595285828274.jpeg

John
After comparing my connections to your picture it would seem that I need to change how I connected my red wire. Which may solve my no ignition situation.
3A51873E-2C8F-474B-875F-F29CE24DD65B.jpeg

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
After comparing my connections to your picture it would seem that I need to change how I connected my red wire.
Re: battery side connections from the ‘92-‘02 OEM fuseable link.

The OEM wiring harness connects to the post on the starter-relay/main-fuse unit, providing a path to the pos+ post of the battery. You can duplicate this connection with a homemade wire lead but the ring connector on the heavy wire needs to be a small one to fit the relay’s post area. A PITA BTDT

Much easier, and does the same thing, to just run the lead directly to the battery post.

HTH

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I John, great pic/info. Is there a way to direct message you with an alternator question?
I sent you info, Chris, but why can’t you juST post it here and get the benefit of the wisdom and experience of the whole community?

edit: 13 posts in 4 1/2 years... maybe you are a bit bashful... ;)

John

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have been giving priority to my fish room projects and hadn't touched the bike in a while. I went out to the garage and tried swapping the terminals on the relay. One side of the relay has a "B" and the other and "M". I went from lights coming on to no lights so I swapped them back. I tried connecting my new red wire from the fuse to the battery and from the fuse direct to the relay. I was getting no happy engine noises. I returned to my wire schematic and traced out the black wire from the 2 pin connector. The next course of action was check the fuse. The 10amp fuse looked intact but I had an extra so I swapped it out. SHE TURNS OVER!!!! Now I just have to remember how the plastics go back on.

Top Bottom