From This to This in 20 Minutes

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
From this ....
1682061256267.png

To this ....
1682061397928.png

What a difference 20km and 20 min can make.

I've ridden the Great Alpine many a time, 303km of (generally) good quality well maintained, two-way undivided road, some really tight curves (15km/h), sweeping bends (100km/h plus), very long straights - a rider's road.

But on Thursday 9 March 2023, "generally" was not good enough on a small section near Cobrunga. Road works had commenced, a 40km/h road speed limit was in place, so to slow to 40, loose, thick, soft, gravel (check the pics), slow to 30, then 20. But this was much too tiring for the Mighty ST1300, it needed a nap, and it forced me into a prone position as well.

1682062806194.png

Approaching motorists stopped and came to my aid, called and ambulance (paramedics to some of you guys), police, etc...

It's good to have a ride mate to take pics to show your mates.
1682063192182.png

1682063265648.png

Short version, I was taken to Wangaratta with five cracked ribs; one night at Wangaratta Hospital, then transferred for four nights in a Melbourne hospital.
1682063388349.png

The Mighty ST13 was transported to Bairnsdale, it's still there.
1682063004746.png

Four weeks off work (paid sick leave) as the cracked ribs were very, very sore, managed to get by with some strong pain medication, off that now, back at work for two the past two weeks. The ribs will be okay, but there is some residual lower back pain. That may take a bit longer.

The ST? Well, despite only cosmetic damage, gravel rash to RH fairing and RH pannier, no structural damage, the bike has been "written off", I get a cash settlement (only took five weeks, 20 emails and phone calls and rising blood pressure), the insurance company gets the bike. I get a chance to buy back the wreck at public auction, if at the right price, I'll buy it, get it repaired and back on the road.

The cash settlement will be adequate for me to get a suitable replacement, tomorrow I go shopping.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Sorry to see this, hope you and your bike recover well.
My wife and I got this surprise a while back along a country road. As we exited a turn, the pavement vanished and was replaced with deep pea gravel....no warning sighs of road maintenance at all...just 'Surprise!!!!'. I managed to keep the bike upright at 20mph for the 200 yard ordeal. It was like riding a trail bike in deep mud. Made it with some gravel scooped into the belly pan and some scratches on the bottom.....did I mention the noise? Who the *^&& dumps that much gravel onto the roadbed, without warning? Must have cost the county a bundle to remove it prior to repaving that stretch of road.

Top Bottom