From This to This in 20 Minutes

Bike
2007 ST1300
WOW 5 broken ribs -Glad you are on the mend --- thoughts and prayers go out for you.. my wife had a riding accident (horse) where she broke 4 ribs and the pain she endured was just shy of excruciating. She took 2 months to mend and it was 3 months before being able to ride again. Takes time but hopefully you make full recovery.

Bike
2000 ST1100
When I first got my bike found out these bikes don't like dirt or gravel. I was lucky only a 2mph drop. This is just me but I'll always take the superslab vs the dirt and gravel. Besides these bikes were born for the Autobaun. At least that's the rumor from Honda of Germany. Glad you made it through could have been worse.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I took a 320 mile round trip to near Charlotte from Myrtle Beach yesterday to pick up a phone mount for the Silverwing. Nice uneventful trip, but when I left the house (one of the members here- VERY nice person), I had to ride through some gravel at a construction site and came upon it quickly without realizing it…’Crap. Don’t want to dump the bike!‘ I thought…I just kept it in first and feathered the clutch- would have been a bad ending to a very nice ride if I dumped it (I was on the 2000 ST) and it felt a little unsteady in the gravel (nothing like the conditions in the thread here).

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for all of the good wishes, comments, suggestions and questions. I'll try to respond to them all on a case-by-case basis.

I'm mending well, ribs are mostly pain free, lower back is little more problematic but I don't any pain meds any longer. I'll be back motorcycle riding soon. In the meantime, I'm back on the pedal assist eBike, 30km Friday morning.

Cheers ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Sorry to see this, hope you and your bike recover well.
My wife and I got this surprise a while back along a country road. As we exited a turn, the pavement vanished and was replaced with deep pea gravel....no warning sighs of road maintenance at all...just 'Surprise!!!!'. I managed to keep the bike upright at 20mph for the 200 yard ordeal. It was like riding a trail bike in deep mud. Made it with some gravel scooped into the belly pan and some scratches on the bottom.....did I mention the noise? Who the *^&& dumps that much gravel onto the roadbed, without warning? Must have cost the county a bundle to remove it prior to repaving that stretch of road.
Glad you came out of that okay.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Ay up Mick me o'd mucka. That's a bummer right enough and crook to boot.
Don't suppose the trailer helped much.
Glad you're on the mend mate, I'm sure I heard that Doctor say a steady supply of cold ones will help.
Take it easy.
Upt.
Don't think the trailer had much bearing on the outcome. I suspect the trailer with it's smaller diameter wheels slows down quicker than the ST with the lager wheels, seems so anyway.

Mmmm....nearly eight weeks sans an ale, beer or larger of any variety, perhaps I'm not well yet. But I have two years to get back into training and ready for a Wooler (still there?) pub session, just yesterday Helen and I started planning a 2025 UK & EUR holiday.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I'm sorry that happened and hope all goes well at the Auction and you get your bike back to keep along with whatever bike you buy after Shopping. :)
Buy back at auction is a possibility, shopping is completed.

The ST1300 I checked out yesterday is okay. Despite it being a little untidy, it'll clean-up okay, left a deposit, will need a new front PR5GT for a road worthy certificate (RWC) seller to arrange, will pick-up when RWC is issued.

Basic specs are:
  • 2011 build - same as my old ST
  • ~54,000km (33,500 mile) - approx. 20k less
  • Black - same
  • AU$9000 - US$6000
Will need a good tidy-up, heated grips, tow hitch and a few other items which may come from the other ST.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Happy to hear you are ok. Good luck sorting out the "bike issues". let us know the final out come.
Issues with insurance company resolved. Lump sum payout in slightly excess of $$ for replacement bike, but after tow hitch, heated grips and a few other farkles replaced, I'll break about even $$ wise. And my blood pressure has now dropped to normal.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
DUDE....!!!!!

So glad it was not worse. You old guys heal slower...so take it easy....... :D Glad you had helpers and someone at home to take care of you.
Get well soon.
T
Good Samaritans stopped and assisted pretty quickly, called for an ambulance, it had to come about 17km from Omeo. In the meantime, "Sue" (woman in pale blue shirt in one of the pics* arrived) and said anyone here a doctor or nurse <silence>, okay I'm a qualified nurse and I'm taking charge. She did a very good job until the ambulance arrived. The Omeo ambulance is a community ambulance with volunteers. Then the regular (professional) ambulance arrived with much higher qualified paramedics. I was then transported about 170km to Wangaratta Hospital, the nearest decent sized hospital with an emergency department.

The hospital care was excellent, two doctors and four nurses (pretty, young ones too), X-rays, CAT scan, blood tests - it might have been a quiet night - no GSW to attend to - I was king for the night.

Our health system in AUS is second to none, all of this care and transport cost me zero, zilch, naught, nothing - thanks to our State and Federal Government health care funding. I'm pretty sure that overseas visitors are similarly covered for hospital expenses # but not transport. However ambulance transport is not free, my ride to Wangaratta would've cost almost AU$2000, but a $100 yearly membership fee makes this free - Helen and I have been members for over 50 years.

* I tried, and succeeded, not to look up in that pic.
# Visitors would be wise to do their own check though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom