Goldwing Gone

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Honda will be discontinuing the Goldwing.
A total of ten Honda motorcycles will be discontinued from the present day 2022 lineup of 80 machines with some bikes being called out: The Honda CB400/4, the Benly Scooter and all full size Honda Goldwing series motorcycles.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Honda will be discontinuing the Goldwing.
A total of ten Honda motorcycles will be discontinued from the present day 2022 lineup of 80 machines with some bikes being called out: The Honda CB400/4, the Benly Scooter and all full size Honda Goldwing series motorcycles.
So I know its not April 1. Where did you hear this from?

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Bike
2000 ST1100
I'm going to call this fake news as the demise of these bikes were predicted for many years now. I want to hear it from Mother Honda then I'll believe it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I know the woke culture, the war on petro, along with this ESG silliness, on up to corporate giants are all putting pressure on industry in the Western world.
At the same time, continuing inflation and growing resentment will take its toll on Americans to the point where there will be a resounding backlash against the needless economic suffering. Midterms soon, and another presidential election 2 years after that, will show Washington the error of this forced compliance.
If electrical energy were plentiful and sufficient to maintain all these battery-powered machines that would be one thing, but it's painfully obvious we are not there yet.
Add on to that the cost of entry to electric cars, and we will see that in 12 years, we will still be behind the curve in terms of available alternative energy. I don't see electric motorcycles filling that transportation gap either, especially if they can't produce them significantly below the cost of current bikes.
Meanwhile in the US alone, we still have an estimated 2 to 3 centuries of untapped oil reserves. That buys plenty of time to develop alternatives that are reliable AND affordable.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It would not surprise me if the Goldwing is dropped. Sales numbers are probably pretty low and with emissions regulations changing it probably does not make much sense for Honda to invest in redesigning it and maintaining a production line dedicated to it. The sales trends seem to favor smaller bikes and the Goldwings were always sold to older riders. The Goldwing is a great bike, I just don't think the market is there.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess that will raise, not only the price of Goldwings, but I have a feeling ST1300s will go up in value! :think1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The declining motorcycle market has been the storm on the horizon for years.
Sales have been on the decline for a decade -- I say this based on information I read from several sources, although not recently.
Kids aren't into it, to the extent (volume / numbers) we were, a generation or more ago.
I guess maybe by the time I can afford a Wing, it will be a similar situation as when I got my ST... a big, heavy, rock solid, reliable mile munching machine with a large, loyal following, bought lightly used.
Oh, it's discontinued?
We can help ya get around that...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
A quote from one of the links in the article:

"Also on Honda's chopping block are models from the full-sized Gold Wing series, as well as the Benly scooter made for delivery services."

I read this as the Gold Wing itself will not be discontinued, just certain variations that are available today will not be available next year.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I read this as the Gold Wing itself will not be discontinued, just certain variations that are available today will not be available next year.
That thought occurred to me as well, and I hope it's true.
Seems as Honda's flagship product, it would have a sufficient profit margin to ensure continued production. I don't have insight into their pricing models, nor corporate structure.
Still hopeful.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I know the woke culture, the war on petro, along with this ESG silliness, on up to corporate giants are all putting pressure on industry in the Western world.
At the same time, continuing inflation and growing resentment will take its toll on Americans to the point where there will be a resounding backlash against the needless economic suffering. Midterms soon, and another presidential election 2 years after that, will show Washington the error of this forced compliance.
If electrical energy were plentiful and sufficient to maintain all these battery-powered machines that would be one thing, but it's painfully obvious we are not there yet.
Add on to that the cost of entry to electric cars, and we will see that in 12 years, we will still be behind the curve in terms of available alternative energy. I don't see electric motorcycles filling that transportation gap either, especially if they can't produce them significantly below the cost of current bikes.
Meanwhile in the US alone, we still have an estimated 2 to 3 centuries of untapped oil reserves. That buys plenty of time to develop alternatives that are reliable AND affordable.
Yep. There was a reason during the turn of the century the gasoline powered vehicles beat out the steam and electric powered vehicles. Still the ICE still can't be beat if you factor in the mileage and cost to build and probably a wash on maintenance when you factor in the change of battery packs and electrical component assemblies. Right now gasoline and coal are artificially high. Hands down fossil fuels are the winner. And they even win on emissions when its figured in the dirty cost to manufacture and mine the lithium batteries and metals to make the electric vehicles ok i'm done climbing down from my soap box.

Bike
04 ST1300
The GW price tag is unjustifiable if not prohibitive. There is no reason for this bike to be at 30K MSRP. This goes for the Harley, Yamaha (1800), BMW 1600 and others. An 1800 cc engine is not needed for a motorcycle. 1000cc - 1300cc has plenty of juice for two up touring all day. Manufacturers became greedy with stupid add on's (air bag, .....) and these bikes collapsed under their own weight.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hold your horses.

We have to start over two years ago when the EU announced Euro 5 emissions would be enforced new MY2020 models starting 1/1/20. Models already in production prior to MY2020 would be waivered until 1/1/21. Cost of Euro 5 compliance caused some manufacturers to discontinue selling in the EU models not deemed worth the investment in order to meet the new Euro 5 standards. These bikes went away in 2021. Notable were the FJR1300 and VFR800, VFR800X Crossrunner and the VFR1200X Crosstourer. These bikes, and others not meeting Euro 5 were no longer exported to the EU but may have continued to other markets. For the US we still got the FJR1300 after 2020 and it is a current 2022 model.

Now to the news out of Japan. Japan is instituting a new emissions law in November that is modeled after Euro 5. As a result the Japanese domestic market will see the loss of certain models.... some we know like the Goldwing and some that are not sold in North America like the CB400. The press out of Japan is referring to Japanese domestic market motorcycles, not motorcycles exported to North America and other markets that are not under Euro 5.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gee, so many crystal balls that see 12 to 20 years out. Peering into mine I see that fossil fuels will become less important and renewables will become more important. Companies big and small are working on solutions to challenges presented by the shift to renewables. Many people will be unhappy with the change but there have been unhappy people forever. They will find new things to be unhappy about in 12 to 20 years.

A year ago the record for EV sedan's range was less than 500 miles. Now it is almost 750 miles.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
That puts you and @Uncle Phil in the catbird seat.....
Had to look that one up.
Catbird seat;
An idiomatic phrase used to describe an enviable position, often in terms of having the upper hand or greater advantage in any type of dealing among parties. It derives from the secluded perch on which the gray catbird makes mocking calls.

I like the term "Now your in my wheelhouse" Mr. Trump, Quote from Nancy.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sure would like to see a hybrid motorcycle, maybe they're around, just haven't seen one.
Thinking the weight of 2 devices would make it not feasible to design on such a small framework.
I commute daily and I'm starting to shut down my ST at lights longer than 2-3 minutes.
I use the emergency stop switch as its gives me practice on where it is.
Not sure if everyone is using the E stop to shutdown your motorcycle, but it's the proper way to do it.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
The GW price tag is unjustifiable if not prohibitive. There is no reason for this bike to be at 30K MSRP. This goes for the Harley, Yamaha (1800), BMW 1600, and others. An 1800 cc engine is not needed for a motorcycle. 1000cc - 1300cc has plenty of juice for two-up touring all day. Manufacturers became greedy with stupid add on's (airbag, .....) and these bikes collapsed under their own weight.
10-4 on that! The price of any major player's bike in the touring or sport touring category today is nearly as much as I paid for a house 30 years or so ago.
Why is the motorcycle market declining? People can't afford these terribly inflated prices. Most adults can't afford the prices, let alone young people.

Top Bottom