Goldwing Gone

Bike
2005 st1300
I don’t think it’s possible to

I don’t think it’s possible to just determine that ICE engines are evil and will go away immediately or in the near future. Rare earth minerals are just that, rare, and unless they can make something like a carbon based battery (so battery from something we have lots of), then mining from the earth all of these needed elements will be labor and petroleum intensive. You can make an ICE engine more efficient, to a maximal point, but I don’t think there’s enough rare earth elements to replace all of the existing ICE vehicles with BEV vehicles. It’s more of a political move on the part of politicians, who really don’t know all that much about methods of production and it’s usually more talking points. There’s a balance to meet. You make all ICE vehicles ‘evil’, jack up the price of fuel, crash economies, then there’s the ‘oopsie’ moment, when the gas prices moderate a bit to temper the economic crash. This is where we are now, although I don’t see gas going back to $2+ per gallon, maybe ever.

Also, with the current price of BEV at $54K (as of yesterday I believe) you’re going to have a very tough time getting everyone on board buying one. Many, like me, will just keep driving (and riding in terms of motorcycles) what we have, but maybe use a less efficient vehicle, well, less frequently. Even if they outright ban ICE engine sales by say 2030 or 2035, it’s still an arbitrary timeline. I personally don’t think it’s going to happen, simply because they won’t be able to make enough batteries for 15-20 million replacement vehicles , yearly, worldwide (or whatever the current production numbers are). Plus, if you were to buy an ICE vehicle as late as 2034, just before the cutoff, they can’t make them ‘illegal’ for use the next year. Politicians aren’t stupid (well, I guess some are) and they will say or do whatever it takes to stay in office. I would say the current crop here in the US will (hopefully) be getting the boot very soon.
Well said... I would add that with electric vehicles currently holding a market share percentage in the low single digits, where is the infrastructure going to magically come from to charge these vehicles if they take off, either on their own or by ICE's being legislated out... and i'm not talking just the charging stations, but also a hydro grid to provide the power. I cant see it working out :twocents1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Mother Honda does not make announcements..they just drop bikes from their lineup. Thats been their M.O. for years. Go back under your fake rock.
You better do a little more checking there sonny. Today I did a little checking at a large Honda powersports dealer on my way to a RTE. And they stated"they have not heard anything about it" And Honda would send / announce it to them first of any model changes;)

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
FYI, only the base (non-tour) Goldwings will no longer be sold in Japan. The Goldwing Tour is not going anywhere. Honda invested huge money developing the 2018+ Goldwing and it makes no sense for them to abandon them. Especially in North America where they are selling well. These Goldwings are awesome and I am having a blast on mine!

africord

Plains Rider
Bike
2002 VFR800
Recently, I picked up a new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT in Ultra Blue. I waited two months for it using a Power 5 dealer. Dealers are selling every unit they can get in my part of the world. I've heard this rumor from multiple sources, but sales figures are currently driven by production, not demand. Does anybody know what happens when supply can't keep up with demand? So, that's the sales price story. The only thing I think could be fueling the rumor on the Goldwing's demise is that Japan and Europe are setting emissions requirements the new 1833 can't meet. But I've not found a definitive source concerning that issue. That makes it a rumor inside of another rumor. BTW, HondaProKevin, the source for the Honda model cut also said the US was definitely getting the NT1100 in 2022. We are still waiting. I won't say it can't happen, but I won't be the house on it.

The only model that's been "dropped" here in the US, is the base with a manual trans. The base model will only come with the DCT. If someone wants the 6 speed manual, have to get the Tour model..

D_W_L

aka, DL-ST95
Bike
ST1100
This was the initial by Nikkei News, reporting of the demise of the Gold Wing and other models manufactured by the Honda and Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. The article clearly specifies Japan as the affected jurisdiction. There is no reference to Honda dropping the GW globally.

Bike
2000 ST1100
This was the initial by Nikkei News, reporting of the demise of the Gold Wing and other models manufactured by the Honda and Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. The article clearly specifies Japan as the affected jurisdiction. There is no reference to Honda dropping the GW globally.

A couple of weeks ago a Honda dealership said they could order a 2023 for me if I did not like the new 22 models they had. Evidently they had not received the stop order taking yet:shrug1:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Recently, I picked up a new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT in Ultra Blue. I waited two months for it using a Power 5 dealer. Dealers are selling every unit they can get in my part of the world. I've heard this rumor from multiple sources, but sales figures are currently driven by production, not demand. Does anybody know what happens when supply can't keep up with demand? So, that's the sales price story.
I looked at buying another Wing before picking up my SGS. I talked to a very large multi brand dealer here in Denver... they wanted MSRP + fees, nothing less. They told me they would only get 3 more and that was it. They also told me they would sell it for what they wanted in a matter of days, and my offer wouldn't cut it.

The Wing I was looking at sat until last week... 9 months. My offer was $400 less than what they wanted... I'm sure it cost them more than $400 having it sit there and paying taxes on it when 2022 rolled in. :nuts:

Top Bottom