Goldwing Gone

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
In 20 years from now, I will still use my ST1100. The only difference, is that in place of the gas thank I will have a "Mr. Fusion", that will make energy from banana peel.

Seriously, I agree that we have to start the transition toward greener source of energy, but... seriously... motorcycles ? It burns 3 times less gasoline than my dodge grand caravan.
Goldwings riders are grandpa's riding around on sundays. Leave them alone.

A few months ago, my wife and I decided to buy a Toyota Rav4, rechargeable hybrid type.
Not only the dealer had no one in stock, he didn't want to take our deposit and order, because he already had hundreds of customers who had gave him a deposit more than a year before, and he had no idea when he will receive them.
And now we read stories where we see that they have problems too, and that they are not so eco-friendly.

I think they were too quick to pass those laws. Not sure electric car is THE solution.
Maybe Propane or Hydrogen.

Have you seen Bob Lazar's old Corvette converted to run on Hydrogen ? Wow !

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I would say it this way…if you want to develop ‘green energy’ (which by the way, isn’t so green) you have to do it in parallel with what currently exists. Batteries are quite dirty to make (think about all the mining for minerals) and they’re currently not really recyclable. I think a hybrid bike would be heavy, handle badly, and be very complex in terms of repairs. Personally, I like what works and is not too complex. Corn for ethanol is a pretty energy intensive and non clean process as is producing hydrogen, so these aren’t viable long term prospects. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I don’t want to be forced to buy something I don’t want. I too will keep the STs as long as I’m able.

By the way, the Silverwing 600 gets ~ 46 mpg when last checked, the ST gets about 50. Not sure why that is, but I guess the SW seems to rev a lot higher.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Not sure if everyone is using the E [emergency] stop to shutdown your motorcycle, but it's the proper way to do it.
Proper? Why?

I'm pretty sure the ignition and side stand do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Hold your horses.

We have to start over two years ago when the EU announced Euro 5 emissions would be enforced new MY2020 models starting 1/1/20. Models already in production prior to MY2020 would be waivered until 1/1/21. Cost of Euro 5 compliance caused some manufacturers to discontinue selling in the EU models not deemed worth the investment in order to meet the new Euro 5 standards. These bikes went away in 2021. Notable were the FJR1300 and VFR800, VFR800X Crossrunner and the VFR1200X Crosstourer. These bikes, and others not meeting Euro 5 were no longer exported to the EU but may have continued to other markets. For the US we still got the FJR1300 after 2020 and it is a current 2022 model.

Now to the news out of Japan. Japan is instituting a new emissions law in November that is modeled after Euro 5. As a result the Japanese domestic market will see the loss of certain models.... some we know like the Goldwing and some that are not sold in North America like the CB400. The press out of Japan is referring to Japanese domestic market motorcycles, not motorcycles exported to North America and other markets that are not under Euro 5.
THIS...

Nikkei reports that Honda is scrapping approximately 10 of its 80 current models in response to strict emissions standards that will be introduced across Japan in the fall. Among the models going the way of the dodo include the CB400 Super Four, the Benly scooter, and the full-size Gold Wing series.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Proper? Why?

I'm pretty sure the ignition and side stand do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way.
To answer this question, with full knowledge by everyone here that we've diverged from the motorcycle production path, here it is:
The MSF, with safety first and foremost, teaches us the "ignition cutoff switch" (most call it kill switch, but we don't kill anything in class) allows turning off the engine with both hands still on the handlebar, while we still have the best control of the bike.
Sometimes, depending on parking logistics, there may be some minor pushing or pulling to put it where it's most stable.
With the engine off, we're less likely to dump the clutch and lose control.
Few riders, in my experience, actually do it this way, but I do as a habit so I'm more likely to demonstrate riding the way we want new riders to do it.
It's routine for me after coaching all these years, and I have not found any disadvantages to using my right thumb to turn it off. Of course, it's incumbent to remember to turn off the key.
Easy for new rider students to remember the proper shutdown procedure:
Thumb, key, valve.
We'll reserve the "valve" component for a different thread.
/hijack off

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Not to thread drift (much)…I got accustomed to using my kick stand to kill the engine, then remove the key and here’s why: in gear, kickstand down kills the engine but in gear won’t allow it to roll in either direction. I was on the TN/NC trip in 2020 and we stopped to put rain gear on (downward on ramp to a local highway, so bike in declined position). I put the stand down, in neutral, applied my Pendle parking brake (love that piece). Anyway, I must have not paid attention, went back to the bike, must have squeezed the brake, and it rolled forward and off the stand. No damage, but now I’m quite vigilant to make sure it won’t roll in either direction when I park.

Back on thread…I thought the GW’s were selling well as I see them frequently- shame to kill the whole line only for emissions standards that are not in the US (yet).

Bike
2000 ST1100
THIS...

Nikkei reports that Honda is scrapping approximately 10 of its 80 current models in response to strict emissions standards that will be introduced across Japan in the fall. Among the models going the way of the dodo include the CB400 Super Four, the Benly scooter, and the full-size Gold Wing series.
Hmmm if this is true which needs to be fact checked by firing off a inquiry letter to Honda Motors Corporation for confirmation. Guess I better visit the Goldwing sites to see if their world is crumbling.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmmm if this is true which needs to be fact checked by firing off a inquiry letter to Honda Motors Corporation for confirmation. Guess I better visit the Goldwing sites to see if their world is crumbling.
The Goldwing site I frequent moved off this already. Post #15 above in summary.

Bike
2005 st1300
THIS...

Actually, that article quotes... "Also on Honda's chopping block are "MODELS FROM" the full-sized Gold Wing series", which could mean that they are keeping 1 iteration and getting rid of the rest. E.g., getting rid of the manual model and only offering DCT. I could see them paring down the lineup to save money. I believe that the understanding by some as meaning that they just won't be offering the bike in Japan sounds the most likely. That article can be taken different ways

Bike
2000 ST1100
The Goldwing site I frequent moved off this already. Post #15 above in summary.
Yeah I did a brief look see on some of the Goldwing sites and barely a mention. As I recalled last year the big news was the demise of the K1600 BMW's. Well that turned out not to be true as I know some are waiting for the 2023 K1600's. I take it all with a grain of salt. I've got maybe a good 12 more years of riding and may just keep my ST1100 until I can't swing the leg over the saddle anymore. After that I don't care if they have flying electric motorcycles or what.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Who knows what's going to happen in the future and what the best alternative(s) might be for existing gas powered vehicles.

I would really like to see the total carbon footprint for existing vehicles and then anything proposed, or maybe I don't. I have this foreboding that when everything is factored in that any vehicle on the road, now or in the future, is going to be determined to be terrible for the planet, for climate change etc.... and that there is very little we can effectively do to change the course of the future, which sometimes doesn't seem too great.

So, in the meantime, ride and enjoy life as best you can.

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Funnily enough I was watching a YouTube video the other day in which they were riding one of the new Harley Davidson Low Rider ST's alongside a GL1800. I can't remember what year the goldwing was, but it was at least 10-12 years old or so. The guy doing the video was remarking how the new HD low rider ST was "ALMOST" as good as the decade old Goldwing. :rofl1:

One day I WILL own a Goldwing. Regardless of whether they stay in production for another 12 months or 12 years. And seeings as my current ride is 21 years old, I think I'll be alright :biggrin:

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
However, since those Goldwings seems to last forever (one guys had reached 1,000,000 miles and still going strong) I'm always wondering how they could continue to sell them, if they last forever. :think1:

Bike
2009 ST1300
That's a good one, I couldn't help but notice this last Saturday out to Agassiz, Harley is predominant with what everyone has, it's a feather in the hat of the great motorcycle company, and don't get me wrong, I hope it goes on forever; the bikes are nothing short of amazing, beautiful cruisers that flow along at 70 and 80 miles an hour, Harley is keeping in my opinion, motorcycling alive; most of the new bikes I'm seeing out and about are the good ol american brand, call it what you like

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I don’t think it’s possible to
Who knows what's going to happen in the future and what the best alternative(s) might be for existing gas powered vehicles.

I would really like to see the total carbon footprint for existing vehicles and then anything proposed, or maybe I don't. I have this foreboding that when everything is factored in that any vehicle on the road, now or in the future, is going to be determined to be terrible for the planet, for climate change etc.... and that there is very little we can effectively do to change the course of the future, which sometimes doesn't seem too great.

So, in the meantime, ride and enjoy life as best you can.
I don’t think it’s possible to just determine that ICE engines are evil and will go away immediately or in the near future. Rare earth minerals are just that, rare, and unless they can make something like a carbon based battery (so battery from something we have lots of), then mining from the earth all of these needed elements will be labor and petroleum intensive. You can make an ICE engine more efficient, to a maximal point, but I don’t think there’s enough rare earth elements to replace all of the existing ICE vehicles with BEV vehicles. It’s more of a political move on the part of politicians, who really don’t know all that much about methods of production and it’s usually more talking points. There’s a balance to meet. You make all ICE vehicles ‘evil’, jack up the price of fuel, crash economies, then there’s the ‘oopsie’ moment, when the gas prices moderate a bit to temper the economic crash. This is where we are now, although I don’t see gas going back to $2+ per gallon, maybe ever.

Also, with the current price of BEV at $54K (as of yesterday I believe) you’re going to have a very tough time getting everyone on board buying one. Many, like me, will just keep driving (and riding in terms of motorcycles) what we have, but maybe use a less efficient vehicle, well, less frequently. Even if they outright ban ICE engine sales by say 2030 or 2035, it’s still an arbitrary timeline. I personally don’t think it’s going to happen, simply because they won’t be able to make enough batteries for 15-20 million replacement vehicles , yearly, worldwide (or whatever the current production numbers are). Plus, if you were to buy an ICE vehicle as late as 2034, just before the cutoff, they can’t make them ‘illegal’ for use the next year. Politicians aren’t stupid (well, I guess some are) and they will say or do whatever it takes to stay in office. I would say the current crop here in the US will (hopefully) be getting the boot very soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom