Grip Glue For Heated Grips Revisited

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the time might depend on the temperature and maybe humidity? Did you use the Gold Standard — AquaNet? Actually, any brand should do. My grips locked up in very short order. The fact that yours spin freely is a little odd. Nothing special done to my bars other than clean well with alcohol wipes.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
It was rather cold and rainy yesterday. I cleaned both surfaces with alcohol . I used AquaNet . Even had my wife pick it out and she was a licensed Beautician in the mid 80's:confused:

Last edited:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I also installed the Oxford grips a couple months ago. The hairspray didn’t appear to secure the grips. Possibly due to my wife’s high end stuff.
I went ahead and used the superglue Oxford supplies with the grips.
I’ll just keep a clamp on the ready if the bond fails.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I used AquaNet . Even had my wife pick it out and she was a licensed Beautician in the mid 80's:confused:
Well i never tried the licensed version of Aquanet but the OTC version from Target has seemed to work good quite a few times for me over the years.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Hairspray, but get the cheapest unscented kind. (don't want an unmanly fragrance on the bike...) It's really slippery until the hairspray vehicle flashes off (sometimes this takes a while.) New guys always ask why there's hair spray on the garage shelf. (It obviously isn't to keep Desmo Steve and me well coiffed...) The unscented hair spray is also a great propellant for potato guns...
It is also great for spraying on bugs.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I’ve had issues with clutch side. “Metal on rubber”. Had to sand it to rough up lightly. Then hairspray. Seems to work fine now.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Tried high temp RTV yesterday. I'll check it when I get home tonight.
That's what I used. After reading all of the posts here that advocated hair spray (basically lacquer), I went out and bought some and installed my Oxford grips. That was in the late fall of 2014. The left one broke loose a couple of years ago and rotates simply from pressure on a cramp buster I have clamped on the left grip (have them on both sides to keep my wrists straight to alleviate pain). This only happens when the grip is hot, or it is a very hot day. This year I read all of the posts on the Stromtrooper.com website and found a lot of guys have had failures like mine. The best suggestions came from guys who used RTV glop. I'll report back if there is another grip thread in 4 years.

Oh, and yes, I did clean everything with a rag dampened in acetone before applying either the hair spray or RTV. I did not want a permanent bond that is nigh on impossible to remove - any urethane based adhesive (Gorilla glue, PL construction adhesive, etc,) will give you that.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
My left grip failed this weekend having used superglue. Had installed them just a few months ago.
I’ll use RTV on that side. No issues with throttle yet. Will need to carry a sealed tube with me.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Well the RTV broke loose on my today. Pulling the grip off I noticed it sets well to the handle bar , nothing adhearing to inner grip.
I will try to roughen up the inside of grip with sandpaper this time.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
One company I bought heated grips from in the past recommended a two part epoxy for cementing the grips on but not the fast drying type because it has a lower temperature threshold and would soften from the heat of the grips. They did sell their own product but were open about the fact that you didn't need to buy it. They said to just use a two part epoxy like JB Weld that takes overnight to cure because it has a higher temperature threshold than the quick drying type. They specifically said that silicone was one of the products to be avoided for the reasons that you are experiencing. I used JB Weld and never had a problem.

From their website;
EPOXY: We recommend only slow curing (generally considered 6+ hours, or overnight) two-part epoxy because it is usually rated at 250 degrees F. The quicker curing epoxy is generally rated at 200 degrees F or lower. Do NOT use silicone sealant, crazy glue, at 200 degrees F. Do NOT use other types of adhesives. DoNOT use silicone sealant, crazy glue, superglue, other superglue, other cyanoacrylate adhesives, weather-strip adhesives, or anything else. Just use two-part epoxy of the type we recommend. There are many brands out there, and some of them are DURO, DEVCON, JB WELD, BORDEN, etc. Most are available at auto parts stores, hardware stores, and often found in “Big Box Store” hardware or automotive departments. (The reason we do not want you to use anything other than epoxy is because of the temperature these grips may reach in service, and because other types of adhesives rely on solvent evaporation, which may take a very long time. Most other adhesives will soften with elevated temperatures, and you don't want these grips to loosen while riding.)

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I used Goop on my heated grips and they seem to be holding well for a couple years. Don't know what it will be like if I ever have to take them off.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I am also on my 2nd try with RTV.
I may as well pick up some epoxy on my way home.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
The problem with epoxy is all the extra work you'll have to do the NEXT time you need to change grips.

I've used Aquanet hairspray for the lat 20 years and never had a grip come loose. And yes, I've got Symtec heat elements under the grips.

Reactions: T_C

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I believe the issue is with the Oxford grips.
The clutch side is not as snug as throttle side and the grips interior is real slick.
My 2nd go around with RTV I scuffed the interior of grip and applied the RTV generously to grip and handlebar.
It now feels solid.

Top Bottom