Group Riding Fail

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I am often amazed at how closely some groups of twins ride together in formation and wondered if it was a recipe for disaster. It appears it happened in Lake In the Hills, IL yesterday. The sketchy report indicates that a group of 4 riders went down when one of them lost control of their bike. If more specific info emerges, I will add it. Unfortunately, one of the four was killed. Be safe out there!

Greg

Bike
2000 ST1100
Seen this type of riding with the outlaw biker gangs. Riding tighter than a packed sardine can.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I am currently helping to teach my youngest just before for goes in for his full MC license. He is doing great, but a few things I am putting into his head are to create a "bubble" around you, as we hear at times " missed by inches". Why not "missed me by feet or a mile"? Also ride like your invisible, not invincible... and ride like the cagers are out to get you. This is the way I do it, and no I don't fear other traffic including bikes, but respect everyone's space on the road.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I am currently helping to teach my youngest just before for goes in for his full MC license. He is doing great, but a few things I am putting into his head are to create a "bubble" around you, as we hear at times " missed by inches". Why not "missed me by feet or a mile"? Also ride like your invisible, not invincible... and ride like the cagers are out to get you. This is the way I do it, and no I don't fear other traffic including bikes, but respect everyone's space on the road.
Your doing it the correct way. One thing I always do is keep my right index and middle finger on top of the front brake lever. Imho its a good habit to learn as it cuts your reaction time if you have to stop in a hurry.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
My wife and I were out yesterday and had six H-Ds come up behind us on a nice quiet part of a secondary road that runs along the north shore of Lake Erie - called Hwy. 3 - east of of the town of Leamington. It is an Ontario provincial road and is in good shape with no large trees near the shoulders. The road has pretty decent sightlines, but it does wind left and right a fair bit and there are no passing lanes, plus we were stuck behind two slower vehicles and so we also couldn't pass. There were, however quite a number of straight portions that any bike should have been able to use to easily blow-past all three cars.

A pimply-faced teenybopper on a Honda CB350 wouldn't have been stuck behind us for long....

I think the problem was that Harleys don't have a lot of passing power at 60+ MPH and these clowns wanted to be able to rumble by us in strict 2x3 formation and not one-by-one, which obviously would have been the safer alternative. Oh, I should clarify that, as per usual cruiser practice, they were riding two-abreast with each pair about 6-8 feet behind the previous pair so the whole "package" was likely around 40-50 feet long. Also, most of the bikes were two-up - so there were about 9-10 people riding in that group (that is a lot of lives to risk in that fashion, IMO).

The lead pair hung about 10 feet (!!!) back of my rear bumper for around 4-8 km - what a couple of jerks. I could easily see the individual facets of the lens on the left-hand rider's main headlight (he had the usual three forward lights - all on high-beam, needless to say).

Eventually, the lead car turned off and the H-D geniuses found a stretch of road that met their exacting requirements and sure enough, the whole gaggle "thundered" past us with the right hand bike of each pair coming within 8-12 inches of the left-hand rear corner of my back bumper. One guy could easily have reached out and touched my driver's side rearview mirror as he rumbled past me at a "stately" pace.

Windsor-Essex is a big biking area and yesterday was a really nice day with a lot of bikes and sports car enthusiasts out enjoying the day. There have been some tragic motorcycle crashes over the past few years with quite a number of lives lost. I don't have any real data as to demographics or motorcycle type, but my perception is that many of them involved older riders on cruisers and Harley-Davidson is the big brand hereabout - and from what I witnessed yesterday, it is not a big surprise.

I don't know why or how these people have formed the idea that they are invincible - because none of us are.

Pete

PS - let me add that this is NOT a slam at H-D. I ride with a touring group every summer and several of bikes are Harleys. Having said that, the practice of riding two-abreast with very little distance between pairs of bikes does seem to be confined to that segment of the motorcycling community, at least in my locale.

Last edited:

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Driving to Minnesota through Rapid City my wife and I saw a pair go down in August '06. Merging on I-90 we first saw them in the left lane. Dropping behind, we soon passed a wise freeway sign — it was bike week — warning against paired riding. In only seconds, the pair were down in the median. We simply whizzed by.

Ironically, I'd just been in Rapid City's Convention Center earlier, eyeing new Harley-Davidsons with their otherwise admirably economical mottos everywhere, "Live to Ride. Ride to Live." I'm now inclined to think Harley should express themselves more fully, as in Live Intelligently to Ride. Ride Intelligently to Live." Of course, I doubt that needed lesson's any time soon to take.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Most important lesson on a bike or car,maybe even walking with ear buds on is-- You Steer Where You Stare.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When our group rides, we stagger, leader on the left, with about 1 second spacing from the diagonal and about 2 seconds from the bike directly ahead. The problem with stragglers is the group getting separated by lights and other vehicles.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll happily ride two-abreast, but, only with someone I know VERY well. Off hand, I can think of 2 people, and with those, we can (and have) happily off-sided into corners and done a lot of things that could have been risky.

For bikers I know "well" - staggered, maybe 1 sec apart at 30mph is OK.

For everyone else, nope, I'm not about to fall off because you're an idiot, you get the same grace as I give to cages. Stay the hell away from me, and if you don't, I'll move away.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
When our group rides, we stagger, leader on the left, with about 1 second spacing from the diagonal and about 2 seconds from the bike directly ahead. The problem with stragglers is the group getting separated by lights and other vehicles.
Try the drop & sweep method, as explained by Bill Rankin. Here's Uncle Phil's description of said method.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
RIP the rider and pray for quick healing for all involved. We all make mistakes so let's learn from this one.

I don't ride in pairs, tight groups or normally any group exceeding 3 or 4 of people I know well. The exception is drop and sweep group rides like at BRG or FLSTOC where everyone is free to ride their own ride.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll happily ride two-abreast, but, only with someone I know VERY well. Off hand, I can think of 2 people, and with those, we can (and have) happily off-sided into corners and done a lot of things that could have been risky.
Zackly.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I've never been a group rider. Just a couple of other riders tops. Prefer to be alone or with one of my sons riding their own bike. A big group is too confining and hard to keep track of. Camping can be fun with a group but riding not so much.

Top Bottom