Harley Pan America!

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I might be the only person here who thinks that fairing style is really not great looking.
I wonder if this bike will see the light of day on showroom floors. Gonna be a beast!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:rofl1:

Can you see the Europeans now? Is that a Harley Pan American? When it clearly says Pan European!

:rofl1:

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I might be the only person here who thinks that fairing style is really not great looking.
I wonder if this bike will see the light of day on showroom floors. Gonna be a beast!
No you're not. They've made some gopping fairings in their time. Although a BMW1200C probably takes the win.
Upt'North.

STOC #
I remember reading about the Pan American Road Race back in the 60 - 70's era. That's what came to my mind when I read about this new machine. That was s tough race. I hope the bike can live up the name's reputation. It does look interesting. The fact HD is willing to produce other types of bikes is encouraging for the American market but I wonder if it will be made in the U.S.?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can just imagine what Erik Buell has to say about the Ulysses reboot.

Bike
2000 ST1100
From where I'm setting it just does not make sense. Harley Davidson has no experience in building an adventure bike or any other niche bike. Just think of it your going against KTM, Triump, BMW, Honda, Yamaha etc that have years of making these bikes. If you ask me HD is just trying to plug a big rip with a small band aid. Harleys biggest problem besides Quality and a aging clientel is they are only manufacture motorcycle. Think about it a minute. Honda makes Auto's, mowers,generators etc. BMW cars, bikes,scooters. Yamaha motor boat engines, electronics. musical instruments etc. What i'm trying to say is these manufacturers are insulated somewhat from the bad times when bikes aren't selling. With Harley there is only one card to play.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
A beast? With a whole 68 HP? I have to laugh when I hear Harley riders say "Feel the power!" LOL

I'm surprised they're not calling it the new Dirt Glide.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
That is one ugly bike!!!! What's the price? I sure I can find a new GSA BMW that would fit the genre better than Harley could ever imagine.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
You don't have to worry about your "Rough Boonies" (is that a known medical condition). These bikes will be made just outside Mumbai, together with the new modular 250-500's to take on Royal Enfield so I'm sure the reliability will be beyond reproach.
Harley are only doing what the Asian manufacturers did decades ago, moving production to locations of affordable labour costs, where products that are made there are sold there. Add in unpredictable trade tariffs and Robert's your father's brother.
What could go wrong?
Upt'North.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Appears to be water cooled. Probably not any heavier than an Africa Twin. Looks a little short on ground clearance. Let’s just hope they get a better seat design, before it’s released.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2000 ST1100
You don't have to worry about your "Rough Boonies" (is that a known medical condition). These bikes will be made just outside Mumbai, together with the new modular 250-500's to take on Royal Enfield so I'm sure the reliability will be beyond reproach.
Harley are only doing what the Asian manufacturers did decades ago, moving production to locations of affordable labour costs, where products that are made there are sold there. Add in unpredictable trade tariffs and Robert's your father's brother.
What could go wrong?
Upt'North.
North, probably great for HD but not so much for their Union Workers here in the U.S. But plenty jobs for the oversea's workforce.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
HD started moving some production overseas before the tariffs. I had a HD friend get all mad at me when I proved to him that half of his HD parts were made in Japan.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
You don't have to tell a Brit about lost jobs to overseas workers, we invented it!
BUT, I do think it will be very interesting to see how HD plays out, they are obviously biting the global manufacturing bullet. They have dabbled before and I believe some or all of their new 750's are made overseas but when you see Enfield can sell a 500cc motorbike in the UK or the USA for about £4000/$5000 there must be a market for a 500cc HD for similar money?
Where many manufacturers, from teapots to motor cars go wrong is thinking the consumer will pay the same for the perceived cheaper product. A cheap to buy well made robust product would sell, but it's all about price.
Honda's are built all over the world, literally, but they've managed to keep their quality image alive and kicking. Time will tell with HD.
If they could build and sell the above bike or similar for £10000 then I think they would fly out of the showroom's, and with Indian build costs that could be realistic, but will they want to devalue the brand.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
UPT' North, I was wondering how many American cars and bikes do you see where you live. I think most Americans if they haven't been out of this country don't realize that BMW, Fiat, Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, Vauxhall, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc own the streets in the rest of the world. American cars and motorcycles are a small drip. It seems to me that they don't want American products.

Top Bottom