Harley Pan America!

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
UPT' North, I was wondering how many American cars and bikes do you see where you live. I think most Americans if they haven't been out of this country don't realize that BMW, Fiat, Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, Vauxhall, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc own the streets in the rest of the world. American cars and motorcycles are a small drip. It seems to me that they don't want American products.
American cars are as rare as hens teeth and the Harley's are mainly garage queen's. Indian and Victory are rare sights but are about, again usually Sunday bikes. The most popular American cars are probably Jeep's but that's because were SUV obsessed. But again you don't see many, they're overpriced and expensive to run. Fuel here is around £6.00 a gallon. A proper gallon!
To sum up I'll go around my street. It goes something like Suzuki, Vauxhall, VW, Land Rover, VW, BMW, SEAT, VW, Ford, Land Rover, Hyundai, Citroen X 2, SEAT, Nissan, BMW, Fiat, Audi, Audi, Toyota X 2. Seems you were right! Oh and one Honda M/C.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Catmandu2 said:
Huh ?? Are you saying that it is the tariffs that other countries put on American automobiles that makes American automobiles scarce in America ??
Upt' North is in the UK not America.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I don't know what the tarrifs are but they must make an impact on the price, but you see a shed load of Hyundai's, Kia's, Toyota's, Nissan's etc and a lot of them are not made in the EU free trade zone. Who mentioned the EU, I'd forgotten about Brexit for at least half an hour.
And Tariffs are applied to Japanese motorcycles too but they're way cheaper than the American equivalents, unless of course it's the latest Indian (?) Built street HD 750 street rods or some other daft name, because they seem to be very competitive on price.
Upt'North.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I might be the only person here who thinks that fairing style is really not great looking.
I wonder if this bike will see the light of day on showroom floors. Gonna be a beast!
It will see the light of day, which will reveal it's full inglorious ugliness. No, you're not the only who is less than enamored with the fairing style.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I don't know what the tarrifs are but they must make an impact on the price
10%, vs 2.5% tariffs on cars coming into the US.

Ford mostly builds cars for Europe in Europe. GM did the same, until their recent (2017) sale of Opel/Vauxhall. Hell, in 2016 3 of the 10 most popular cars in Europe were from American companies. Surprisingly, only 2 of the top 25 are Asian. Ford sold more cars in Europe than BMW, Mercedes, or Fiat.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2016-full-year-europe-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands/

(Expect to see the PSA Group vault into 2nd place with it's acquisition of Opel/Vauxhall).

but you see a shed load of Hyundai's, Kia's, Toyota's, Nissan's etc and a lot of them are not made in the EU free trade zone.
Yes, but those are also smaller cars. The Ford Focus and Fiesta are popular over there, #3 and #1 in the UK 2016, with the GM produced Vauxhall Corsa in the #2 spot. Heck, the only company in your list there with a Top 10 spot is Nissan. In the UK in 2016 Ford outsold any two of those companies combined, so if you see a "shed load" of them, but no Fords, you must be in a No-Ford zone. The Ford Transit vans are apparently the most popular line of work vans in Europe. But even midsize cars are less popular there, and when you get to full size cars and trucks, they're just too expensive for most folks in Europe to buy and operate, other than the gov't. (Europeans are, by and large, poorer than Americans.) The gov't market over there is very much like the gov't market here: Buy Domestic, or at least EU.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/britain-uk/2016-full-year-britain-best-selling-car-models/
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/britain-uk/2016-full-year-britain-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands/

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Ford's sold in EU are nearly all made in the EU, although not the UK, we make bits but not cars. I don't know if Transit's are still made here or not. Almost no Ford is considered an aspirational purchase, maybe some of the hot hatches to younger folk or born again boy racers. What new car figures don't actually show in simple sales are who's buying them. An awful lot of your Ford's/Vauxhall's etc are for the rental market or pre registered. Check out cars for sale and there's an awful lot six months old with 5 miles on the clock.
Some of the most popular imported Hyundai's/Kia's/Japanese brands etc are SUV's. The image that Brits are running around in Vauxhall's and Ford's just doesn't play out in reality. I know the Fiesta and Focus are regularly in the top 10 for sales but I honestly can't tell you where they are. Although I did buy two Focus models myself in the 00's and damn good cars too, nice 110 diesel lump took some beating.
People over here are putting their own money in mainly premium brands, which are mainly German or the more recent budget brands such as Dacia. The Korean brands are on the up and no longer seen as budget in the main.
Who said, lies, damn lies and statistics.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Well, they weren't kidding you are officially getting a Pan America. Just shown production ready at the Milan Show. I hope you've still got some Pan America stickers Mellow.
Upt'North.

2021-harley-davidson-pan-america.jpg

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't collect ugly bike pictures, although I do have one...

1961-ZapDap-Super-Sabre-1.jpg

Only because it is a "Super Sabre" Not SupraSabre! :rofl1:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Although a BMW1200C probably takes the win.
My "ugliest" vote would go to the Victory Vision, but this Harley job is, I imagine, paying homage to their shark nose fairing from their baggers, just to keep the faithful interested.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Do you think they mounted the pannier high enough!! LOL Just try to swing you leg up over those to mount this thing. It may be a great bike but everything about the styling screams heavy!!!

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I can't see them selling many. Guys who walk into HD dealerships are not the adventure bike riding types.

But just in case they are throwing in a free matching helmet with every purchase...
Star Wars Helmet.jpg

Top Bottom