Harley's Electric bike

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just read that their new E-bike has a sticker price of $29,800. And a whopping range of 110 miles per charge. If this is true, I simply don't get it. If motorcycle sales are dropping, and some of the big names are coming out with stripped down (read cheaper) models in order to attract new young riders, who is going to buy a $30K bike of limited utility...wealthy folks who wanna be Harley riders? This might be great for the quick ride to and from the bar for some bonding w/ the guys.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'm sure they know they have a very limited market for this bike at this price. I think they are smart getting their technology out there though. Prices and choices will come down in the next 5 years but I am already seeing some interesting Chinese E-bikes with limited range that look interesting in an urban, i.e. short ride situation.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There's always someone who's forward thinking and has the money to play. We've got our toys and we play in the sand box we're comfortable in and make fun of the other kids because they're different and we think we know better.

Like all new tech (and yeah electric motorcycles are still new tech even if the first one was in the 1800s) bleeding edge costs money. And the electric H-D looks to be the best looking electric I've seen. All y'all have relatives who freaked at the cost of the first car and motorcycle when perfectly good horses were much cheaper. And they too badmouthed motor vehicles without knowing what they were talking about. :rofl1:

Progress will always leave some people behind. It's human nature on both sides of the coin. The H-D is too pricey for me and will be for a long time. But I like the way it looks and the concept of an electric belt-drive bike. No motor no chain. I like.

100/150/200mi. The range will always be too short for some people especially with the lack of a charging infrastructure. Guess what. They're not the target market. If it ain't for you it ain't for you. That doesn't make the bike wrong.

And without it we'd only have oil moly filters tires helmets GPSs phones and counter steering (to name a few) of which to complain and explain. :rofl1: Is this a great country or what.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've been considering an electric, and was waiting to see the price and specs for the Livewire. It's a non-starter. Nearly twice the price of the Zero SR, with equal or lesser performance. (And, I personally prefer the looks of the Zero.) I don't really see people buying this just because it's a Harley; electric bike folks don't have that brand loyalty HD counts on for the rest of their line. Zero's coming out with a new model shortly, so I'm back in waiting mode. I'd really like to see 150 mile range at 70 mph.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
roginoz said:
electric bike folks don't have that brand loyalty
I don't think there's many electric bikes (and by that I mean motorcycles) with enough pedigree to inspire real brand loyalty. Yet. H-D could break that mold.

The Zeros have a finished look but they all strike me as off-road or beak-bikes and not at all sleek. Well the SR is kind of nice. They're belt drive so there's that. I just missed the chance to drive one at the last San Mateo motorcycle show. My buddies didn't want to wait. Crumba. lol

TPadden said:
THE LOUDEST SOUND YOU HEAR WILL BE YOUR HEART RACING
And the wind noise in your helmet.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I just read that their new E-bike has a sticker price of $29,800. And a whopping range of 110 miles per charge. If this is true, I simply don't get it. If motorcycle sales are dropping, and some of the big names are coming out with stripped down (read cheaper) models in order to attract new young riders, who is going to buy a $30K bike of limited utility...wealthy folks who wanna be Harley riders? This might be great for the quick ride to and from the bar for some bonding w/ the guys.
Think about it, the gasoline version broke down every 100 miles, so this one has 10% more range. But, after you install the 1000W audio system to emulate the loud pipes effect, the range may actually be less than advertised.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I just saw today that the 3 major car companies that would be GM, Ford and Toyota sold less than 10 percent of their sales were electric. The car companies keep dragging their feet unless threated by the government to sell more electric cars. They know that there is less profit in electric cars. According to various scientist there is about another 75 to 200 years of oil left. With gasoline prices at $1.81 in my neck of the woods right now electric motorcycles and electric cars are a hard sale. At the risk of sounding like a broken record these are solutions looking for a problem.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'd be happy to give up all the routine maintenance of an internal combustion engine, but so far I haven't taken the plunge. My logical sense tells me that renewable energy is the only real long-term solution, so we have to look to alternatives to burning gasoline at some time or another.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
red one said:
According to various scientist there is about another 75 to 200 years of oil left.
Enough oil and gas to last me a lifetime! :rofl1:

Al Gully said:
I just can't wait for all the aftermarket exhaust companies trying to make it sound like a Harley.

Maybe speakers instead of an exaust system ?
IIRC CA has considered or will at some point require electric vehicles to produce some sort of continuous sound (no not just a HORN) so pedestrians can hear them approaching. I say that's an opportunity to make an eCar sound like a V12 and eBike sound like a 250-6 or big twin. Or the actual Jetson's car sound. I want either an F-4 Phantom or Airwolf sound.

TPadden

Tom Padden
My logical sense tells me that renewable energy is the only real long-term solution, so we have to look to alternatives to burning gasoline at some time or another.
My logical sense tells me cold fusion or LENR is the only solution but until then I also doubt that petroleum really is non-renewable, or at least in any danger of being depleted in my or my kids lifetimes.

The closer alternative fuel believers believe we are approaching Petro Armageddon the more technology and new discoveries show that there's still an ocean of oil under our feet. There is increasing evidence that the Earth is actually an oil-producing machine (abiotic theory of the origin of oil).

As Robert Bryce an energy sector guru says: “The world runs on oil, period. No other substance can compete when it comes to energy density, flexibility, ease of handling, ease of transportation. If oil didn’t exist we would have to invent it.”

http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on-energy/2011/09/14/abiotic-oil-a-theory-worth-exploring
https://www.wnd.com/2008/02/45838/

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I'd be happy to give up all the routine maintenance of an internal combustion engine, but so far I haven't taken the plunge. My logical sense tells me that renewable energy is the only real long-term solution, so we have to look to alternatives to burning gasoline at some time or another.
Dwalby, Logical, LOGICAL! WHAT'S LOGIC GOT TO DO WITH IT :biggrin:!
Harley also showed some prototype smaller electric bikes recently, can't remember where I saw them now, maybe MCN, but EV's are the future, don't think I like it much; but who's gonna care what I think. But, if EV's are the future and the EU are likely to outlaw solely fossil fuel vehicles in as little as ten years then why as the new 3 series just been released with 2 power options, a smelly old diesel and over powerful petrol.
Strange world innit?
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Upt north the reason BMW came out with a new pertrol and diesel car is well......because they can. Right now imho car manufactures are getting while the getting is good. Once the United Nations convience the world that the combustable engine is the ruin of mankind they will outlaw it. Fines, Carbon taxes at first then the tow truck comes to get your evil gas guzzler;)

Top Bottom