Harley's Electric bike

Bike
'08 ST1300
--even though an ev bike is quiet; you'll still need to wear earplugs; it's the wind going through, past yr helmet;

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
There will be infernal combustion engines for a long time to come. Probably as collector vehicles with a maximum number of miles per year permitted. An easier way of restricting them will be to limit the production of gasoline, which will happen as battery capacity and thus range increase for EV's. As demand for gas decreases, the refineries will produce less of it. Many petroleum products will go the way of coal (and buggy whips) as time goes on.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Many petroleum products will go the way of coal (and buggy whips) as time goes on.
..... and we will all have teleporters and transmuters and immortality to enjoy them in harmony FOREVER and EVER as time goes on! :rofl1: ....... but not in our lifetime. :(

Tom

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
....... but not in our lifetime. :(

Tom
Really depends how old you are. There are some younguns on this website. Whippersnappers. It's only us oldsters who will get to enjoy relatively unfettered access to our noisy, smelly, polluting, engined vehicles.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Really depends how old you are. There are some younguns on this website. Whippersnappers. It's only us oldsters who will get to enjoy relatively unfettered access to our noisy, smelly, polluting, engined vehicles.
By our lifetime I meant anyone BORN as late as this morning. :rofl1:

If you think there will be only alternative fueled airplanes, ships, freight haulers, and even personal vehicles by the end of this century I just don't agree. That's the song everyone was singing pretty loudly 50 years ago (in the 1970's); didn't happen and we're not any closer to having it happen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Alternative" - available as another possibility; doesn't necessarily mean complete replacement. :cool:

Tom

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You do know that manufacturing and disposing of batteries is not very "clean" or good for Mother Earth either, don't you?

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Well, from the bleachers up here in the GWN (Great White North), since the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. is trying to resurrect COAL as a viable energy source I think your predictions of a slow death to petroleum products is accurate until there are cheaper alternatives. But I also think it's days are numbered, even if it's a big number. And since those pesky Millennials aren't even BUYING cars these days, we could actually live long enough, some of us, knock wood, to see the days when there are more electric vehicles than gas powered ones on the road.

I too wonder about the "green-ness" of vehicles powered by Lithum (or other rare and poisonous metals) batteries but until someone starts producing hydrogen powered cars in a production line setting it appears that is the direction the big three are going.

I have thought of getting an electric bike for my urban driving but have not even sat on one, let alone done a test drive, despite being offered one several times, so I think I am destined to keep riding my gasoline monster until parts are no longer available. (Or gasoline, which I think will be available long after I stop riding this lifetime).

But what I really am waiting to see is a serious, long distance, electric vehicle. One that is comfortable for a long ride. I can't see the wife climbing on this Harley (nor a Zero for that matter) to even go to Grandma's house (40 miles) let alone do a day's riding. I can ride electric to and from work no problem, it's a 12 minute commute. But when I ride for myself it's to go farther than 150 miles at a time. So until there is a 15 minute re-charge or a longer distance battery, I'll be on the Victory.

I don't go to biker bars, so I don't have this problem, and they would like my Vision even less than they would like an electric HD.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
You do know that manufacturing and disposing of batteries is not very "clean" or good for Mother Earth either, don't you?
Yup, from start to finish, including producing the electricity, probably worse than infernal combustion engines.

And I think a bunch of Harley guys would laugh at the E bike, but also be genuinely curious about it and go out to look at it - esp since it costs 30K. And despite a bunch of ribbing, come to accept it.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
About 6 years ago when gas prices were at the highest I decided to get a scooter for cheap transportation to and from work, a 9-10 mile commute each way. I looked at electric since the range would not be an issue, upon researching cost per mile on electric scooters it was about 3 cents per mile. I was looking at a Honda PCX scooter that would yield 2-3 cents per mile but ultimately went with a Ninja 250 that got me 4 cents per mile tracked over 15,000 miles. If you are going with electric to save money I don't think the math works out, especially when you consider the higher investment price. If you are doing it to save the earth, I wonder what the net gain is on that considering generating the electricity is pollution and the waste of the batteries in the end. FYI my ST is tracking at 6.3 cents per mile with over 25,000 miles tracked.

I doubt the Harley electric will amount to anything as it goes against their core market, Harley has NEVER been known for technology or any advances of anything related to safety or the environment.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I doubt the Harley electric will amount to anything as it goes against their core market
I think this is H-D trying to expand their market. I don't know that their target demographic is but I applaud their efforts to find one.

The eHarley is pretty much a concept vehicle that may become a production vehicle. I hope it does well enough that H-D continued development.

Electric vehicles are at an all time high but still far from being main stream in volume though not awareness. Everybody knows 'Tesla' but far from everybody has or wants one.

As far as ROI is concerned that's a pretty individual situation. An eVeh (huh!) has a purchase price than an equivalent ICEveh. But generally speaking maintenance is cheaper. Fuel vs volts is another variable based on locality. Those with solar charging and watts to burn are ahead of the game. I know a couple who bought a house with mega solar so got a Leaf for commuting. There is some range anxiety so a Volt might have been a better choice. But they are money ahead. eVeh batteries seem to be lasting longer than initially thought.

For me the big draw is not having to go to a gas station. Just plug it in. And the quiet. I really like that. If I had room I'd consider a Zero. And maybe a used Volt. Sad that Chevy dropped them.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So, how many charge cycles will the battery last? Assuming 400, at 110 miles per, that's 44k miles, then you'll need a new battery. How much is that? Can the user replace it?... highly doubtful. How does it get disposed of?... I guess HD has that figured out. Admittedly though, the vast majority will probably never make 44k miles.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Zero has a five year, unlimited mileage, warranty on the battery. They claim that battery life is about 200K.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Assuming the battery isn't user replaceable it's probably recycled at/by the dealer.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I noticed most electric car batteries are good from 8 to 10 years or 100K. Then its anywhere between 5,000 to 20,000 dollars to replace. Don't fool yourself too because these ain't maintenance free...not buy a long shot. Tires, wheel bearings, brakes, headlights, brake fluid and fans for the motor and batteries. Speaking of motors I wonder how much the electric kilowatt drive motor will cost?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
red one said:
Tires, wheel bearings, brakes, headlights, brake fluid and fans for the motor and batteries.
Who's fooling who? The maintenance of an eVeh is cheaper than an ICEmobile. Nobody said maintenance free. eVehs regardless of wheel count aren't for everybody. Doesn't mean they're not for anybody.

Bike
2000 ST1100
STGui, I'll have to take your word for it that electric vehicles are cheaper to maintain than gasoline vehicles since nobody that I know owns one or wants one. But I guess to each his own.:)

Bike
VStrom 650
Who's fooling who? The maintenance of an eVeh is cheaper than an ICEmobile. Nobody said maintenance free. eVehs regardless of wheel count aren't for everybody. Doesn't mean they're not for anybody.
STGui, you're right, but you already knew that, right.
BUT, what about depreciation, the value of these things falls off a cliff over here at over three years old. So I hear you say, buy one three years old. That would be a great idea but what about the cost and availability of replacement battery packs. The EV's are here to stay, governments will see to that, even if the electricity is produced by burning fossil fuel. IS IT ME?
Upt'North.

Top Bottom