Have any of you used an auto battery to have more capacity than a motorcycle batter

Bike
2006 ST1300
I wish there was room to install a larger battery on the ST. One of the few benefits is that a larger battery usually lasts longer. When the 2nd expensive battery in my old Honda lawn tractor went bad on the 4th year, I modified the battery tray and cables so I could install an automotive battery meant for a Suzuki Samurai. That was 20 years ago, and it still held a charge and started the tractor up until about a year and a half ago. Oh, and it was less than half the price of the "correct" battery.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: Have any of you used an auto battery to have more capacity than a motorcycle batt

Oh, and it was less than half the price of the "correct" battery.
Economies of scale. When ya make a million instead of a couple thou, the price can come down in a hurry.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Have any of you used an auto battery to have more capacity than a motorcycle batt

So this morning my battery decided it didn't want to play anymore, so I finally bump started it with some effort and then rode it to work. Once at work, I turned it off and then back on to test start it. It started but pretty weak! I called around SD to find a battery and the two shops I called didn't have any ST1300 batteries. So I called Chaparral and asked if they had the Shorai (18A/Hr) and they did, so I rode all the way up there to pick one up. After applying the appropriate foam (that comes with it) I now have it installed and the bike is ready to go in the morning! My last battery (Yuasa), I bought in August of 2009 and actually installed it in November 09.. so it lasted two years. I sure hope this one lasts a heck of a lot longer! :eek::
Bob I hope you like that new battery. Just prior to calstoc I wired up dual shorai's on my 1100 it gave me enough room to relocate the fuse block in to the battery compartment and the second takes up about as much room as the tool pouch did under the seat. I have been really pleased!!! I have run heated gear and aux lights for extended period(22+hours striaght) with no adverse affects to the voltage on the batteries. At current I just run all my stuff on the main cranking battery the other was reserved for my cpap machine which I ended up with a different solution that worked pretty good.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100

+1 Jay. You took the words out of my mouth. With a little imagination one can easily put two Shorai's into an ST which would give you quite a bit more capacity for running farkles like I have when you don't want the engine running.

The Shorai's a high heat tolerant sealed battery with no free electrolyte. It should give you guys in hot southern climes a much better bang for your buck than any type of lead/acid battery.

Ross

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Don't go too crazy using them as a house battery. The actual rating of the 18Ahr "lead acid equivalent battery" is 6Ahr.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #

Don't go too crazy using them as a house battery. The actual rating of the 18Ahr "lead acid equivalent battery" is 6Ahr.
This is true confirmed by shorai when I was doing my install. Which is why I hooked mine up with isolation triggered off the oil pressure switch. They do recover nicely when installing my aux stuff I accidentally left my key in the on position running highbeam(silverstars) aux lights(18w led x2) radar detector and gps for approximately 35 minutes. It slowed the cranking down and fired and charged within 15 minutes back to capacity.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Bob I hope you like that new battery. Just prior to calstoc I wired up dual shorai's on my 1100 it gave me enough room to relocate the fuse block in to the battery compartment and the second takes up about as much room as the tool pouch did under the seat. I have been really pleased!!! I have run heated gear and aux lights for extended period(22+hours striaght) with no adverse affects to the voltage on the batteries. At current I just run all my stuff on the main cranking battery the other was reserved for my cpap machine which I ended up with a different solution that worked pretty good.
Jay, that's good to hear! I need to rewire my power to my fuseblock and I'm thinking with all the room behind it, to put the relay behind to the Shorai. That's after I get a heaverier duty relay (40amp instead of the 30 I'm using) and 10ga wire to replace the 12ga I'm currently using. I'm tired of having meltdowns of the relay! :cus:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #

Ross Smith posted: "One thing to note... Those ST1100 owners still using the permanent magnet alternator could adversely affect the Shorai battery as the speed of the alternator at idle combined with what loading you have on it may drop the alternator output below the safe minimum voltage of the Shorai, (12.4 volts). This is not an issue with the 40 amp alternator."

No ST1100 uses a permanent magnet alternator. The 28 amp., which some think is a permanent magnet unit because of the remote VRR, is a controlled field unit. I can wire a 28 amp VRR to control a 40 amp alternator or vice versa if you like.

Consult the wiring diagram, or better do current measurements on the VRR leads and you will see that the field current is carried and grounded by two of the wires. Can't recall the colors and won't bother to look them up but anyone can do so. The 28 amp alternator's VRR cannot be replaced by a stator leg or ground shunt regulator without some major rewiring but I can also do that if someone wants to hold the bet money. As for dropping the voltage at idle with a 28 or any other, that will be dependent on load and idle RPM.

I'd have trouble accepting that the Shorai battery will not tolerate short periods of low alternator output as that would make it unsuitable for motorvehicle applications where the vehicle may be operated for a time with key on and engine not running. If Shorai are referring to a minimum voltage, that will be the minimum opertating/charging voltage.

HIH

Norm

There is a thread on Shorai batteries elsewhere in this forum. This really doesn't belong here, but I'll post it to answer questions entered previously.

The Shorai is not adversely affected in any way by heated gear. I use it all the time from late summer on up here.

A battery is a battery. It's an electro / chemical storage device. In a motorcycle or car, it's designed mainly to be a starting device and a storage device, less so. Without the alternator supplying sufficient power any load on it will drain it the same way, based on current demand and battery capacity. The only real difference is that the Shorai's lower safe operating voltage is a bit higher than a lead / acid's but the Shorai starts at a higher resting voltage, (approx 13.6 volts) and has greater capacity, making it take longer to reach the lower point. It can also recharge far faster than a matching lead / acid as it has a higher rated charge current capacity. For mine, that's 18 amps.

One thing to note... Those ST1100 owners still using the permanent magnet alternator could adversely affect the Shorai battery as the speed of the alternator at idle combined with what loading you have on it may drop the alternator output below the safe minimum voltage of the Shorai, (12.4 volts). This is not an issue with the 40 amp alternator.

Ross

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100

Sorry about that folks and thanks for the correction, Norm. I've never seen a pre-95 and assummed, (making an *** of me) that it was a PM unit. I just looked at the wiring diagram for pre-95's and it is indeed a controlled field unit.

Once again, apologies if I caused confusion. However, my comment about low voltage still applies. Shorai's comments about low voltage is a guide. I didn't indicate that short periods of low voltage would damage the battery, but might cause damage. How long it remains there is the key. Over time, damage can accummulate, just as in any other battery type. I would think it most likely won't remain at low voltage for any significant time period if used correctly.

Ross

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Okay, so I checked my mileage for the two years (actually 25 months) my battery lasted. I'm always running driving lights, during the winter I have the electric liner and gloves on for the 1.25 hr ride into w***, I got over 67K out of that battery. From that perspective, I don't think it did too bad, but I've always gone by time on a battery and not mileage. Any thoughts?:think1:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Okay, so I checked my mileage for the two years (actually 25 months) my battery lasted. I'm always running driving lights, during the winter I have the electric liner and gloves on for the 1.25 hr ride into w***, I got over 67K out of that battery. From that perspective, I don't think it did too bad, but I've always gone by time on a battery and not mileage. Any thoughts?:think1:
What brand was that one Bob?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #

I would think it's more related to charge/ discharge cycles, if looked after, possibly time if it is allowed to discharge too far too often.....

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I would think it's more related to charge/ discharge cycles, if looked after, possibly time if it is allowed to discharge too far too often.....
Well, if the charge/discharge cycles are happening while I'm riding (since the bike never sat for more then 7 days at anyone time over- few at that- that two years)

Bike
92 ST1100

AGAIN, +1 for Norm's input! Glad to see U correct the mis-information........too much of that here lately as I've stated on another post. Too many folks here that are new to some of these issues to be given incorrect info.......some need to just sit back and learn a bit instead of trying to "put a feather in their hat".....JMO and not intended to offend. As you see from my sig. the XS Ive owned from new, theirs not an inch of it that I cannot give a CORRECT fix for........the ST, being so dependable and a bit younger, hasn't yet given me enough grief(PITA coolant hoses) to be giving too awful much fixing info on, so I follow and just try to learn and store the info for future needs.......JAT, if the shoe fits....;)........BTW, have seen results of the Shorai battery blow apart while bike was ridden, two instances.........makes a mess to say the least.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #

Brant could you expand on th shorai blow ups please

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #

This doesn't answer the question probably, but I never thought the ST had a very powerful battery for a 1300cc motor. The YTZ14S battery in the ST ain't nothing special. It's the same battery as in a bunch of different Honda motorcycles. Just about all the VT models. I think the choice was made by Honda for space issues over most anything else or for lowering inventory differences.
My wifes Suzuki Burgman 400cc scooter has almost the same spec for a battery 180 CCA 11 Vhr. but it's 1/3 the CC's for comparison.
I think getting another MC battery in parallel like under the seat would be easier that trying to cram something in where the battery is on the ST13. Not much extra room there. Under the seat isn't any good for me because that's where I put the fuse block.

Last edited:
Top Bottom