Headlight Modulators: Thoughts?

Bike
ST1100
Am thinking of having an auto headlight modulator installed to increase visibility of my '93 ST11. Thoughts on brand to use, source, logic of doing the installation, etc?

Thanks,

Tim
AtlantaST

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Won't leave home without mine. Love it. The only time is at dusk and shadows from trees that messes with the sensor so I put a rubber cap over it to stop it from on to off cycle. Some get mad, do I care, NO. They seen me that's all I care.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It's pretty DIY. The kissan sp? iirc slips over the bulb and the socket just plugs into the back side.
There's a jumper between the two drivers to keep them synch'd up so they don't wig wag.
The photo diode just ty-raps somewhere on say a brake cable facing up to monitor ambient light.

There's any number of threads on if they *should be used.
Camp1 they invoke road rage a/o are interpreted as a signal to pull out in front of me.
Camp2 they keep me alive.

BTW they won't work if you're thinking about changing to HID lighting.

Bike
ST1300 '08
as said, plenty of arguments pro and con here. I got the Kisan version and am glad to have them. If I am stopped at a light I'll shut them off so as to not needlessly annoy the person in front of me.. but I do get the sense that the modulator makes me more visible, which is worth it to me. My wife has watched me approach on the bike and agrees.. for me no negatives so far. you can always opt to turn the thing off of course... I also have a rear brake light in place of the rear reflector that flashes, and those decal thingies on the saddle bags that reflect white light at night, and upgraded headlight bulbs. Visibility makes sense to me -

good luck -

Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
Am thinking of having an auto headlight modulator installed to increase visibility of my '93 ST11. Thoughts on brand to use, source, logic of doing the installation, etc?

Thanks,

Tim
AtlantaST
I used the comagination modulator for 3 years, it failed and was replaced for 50.00 bucks!. The installation is plug-and-play. I'm also in Camp #2 in that I believe it adds to visibility, keeping at least some of the left-turners out of my way.

You can drop the reference to "auto" in the description as the Federal Regulations authorizing motorcycle use specificially prohibit its use on autos.

Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with st1300r, had I stayed with Halogen headlights on my 91 ST1100 I would have installed a modulator.

I went with HIDs and have found that 1) I can see way better at night and 2) they seem to draw the eyes of other cages around me 3) they pull less amps than the Halogen bulbs.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I used the comagination modulator for 3 years, it failed and was replaced for 50.00 bucks!. The installation is plug-and-play. I'm also in Camp #2 in that I believe it adds to visibility, keeping at least some of the left-turners out of my way.

You can drop the reference to "auto" in the description as the Federal Regulations authorizing motorcycle use specificially prohibit its use on autos.

Jim
By auto I took it as one that automatically turns on or of based on lighting conditions which us one of the federal requirements.

For me, I considered getting one but went the hid route instead. You can't use a modulator with hid headlights. The hid lights seem to get me noticed along with my white helmet and high vis yellow jacket. It has gotten to the point where it is very rare for someone to pull out in front if me now. I also noticed when I was running fork lights for a while that this helped as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
:bigpop:
This should be fun to watch. Kind of like an oil thread.

I can certainly appreciate the views about safety, but PLEASE turn them off if you ride behind me. If I'm in the cage and you're behind me, I will probably be under the speed limit so that you will pass me.

They get you noticed, which is good, but they tend to piss people off, which is not good.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've had the comagination unit for several years without any issues. It's pretty much plug and play. I don't use mine all the time (depends on the traffic,) but I do think it makes me more visible when I do. People do notice it, and on rare occasions someone will be annoyed. At least they saw me... (By the way - I've started blowing kisses instead of using my middle finger. It seems more effective...)

Bike
2006 ST1300
I WILL NOT ride without one. All 3 bikes have them, I have one each of 3 brands, and all seem to work ok. The Comagination unit WAS easy to install, however, it is on my BMW which has good access to the back of the headlight. I made up a simple harness for the ST, to adapt an older model Diamondstar unit to it. I did end up removing the tupperware to do a really clean install.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I consider HL modulators to be the "loud pipes" of touring bikes. Users of them think they are benefiting from them, but all they are doing is ticking off other riders and cage drivers. We don't need more people angry at riders. I won't allow anyone behind me with one, and I doubt I would even ride in a group with someone with one. Whether I'm in a cage or on the bike, if someone comes up behind me with one, I'll slow until they pass, and they will get a salute from me showing my displeasure.

There are better ways to make yourself seen. Its amazing how many people use HL modulators, but wear black clothing and helmets.

Bike
ST1300A 2006
I consider HL modulators to be the "loud pipes" of touring bikes. Users of them think they are benefiting from them, but all they are doing is ticking off other riders and cage drivers. We don't need more people angry at riders. I won't allow anyone behind me with one, and I doubt I would even ride in a group with someone with one. Whether I'm in a cage or on the bike, if someone comes up behind me with one, I'll slow until they pass, and they will get a salute from me showing my displeasure.

There are better ways to make yourself seen. Its amazing how many people use HL modulators, but wear black clothing and helmets.
I think a modulator is an EXCELLENT RESOURCE....but it should not be left on when you ride. I use a modulator to alert an oncoming car that I feel might be turning in front of me, or sometimes to let a car in front of me know that I am there or coming up on them...then I turn it off (mine only activates when I turn on the high beams, and has an automatic photo sensor to turn it off at dusk when normal lights are needed. I KNOW my modulator has prevented more than one potential "left hand turn" evasion by me. When people see you, it changes the game. I have seen people on phones and texting while signaling a turn, YIKES. I think a modulator needs to be used wisely, flicking it on and off appropriately. Riding with it on continuously might create new hazards. All of us are doing the best we can. I don't feel a "one finger salute" is ever useful (it might make you feel superior or "better" for a moment, but every negative act has ripples that are negative as well). If you feel someone is being rude with their modulators, discuss it with them....many with headlight modulators have never been followed by someone using the devices...in other words they just don't know. Head-on, these are not too distracting because they are gone so quickly. Even this discussion is a great step forward in educating the riding community to the optimal use of headlight modulators. Cheers and safe riding....just one opinion from the frozen north- Brad in Duluth (come on SPRING!).

Bike
2006 ST1300

NH...what "better" ways are there of making yourself more visible? Unfortunately, most humans see "movement" much better than any kind of Hi-Viz clothing, especially when it is behind a big fairing. I respect your right to not like HL mods, and I'll even take point if we go riding , but to say they "tick off " most (or any) cagers or riders would seem to be painting others with your feelings on them. I mostly get curiosity, and advice to get my electrical system looked at. The only real animosity I have experienced is from HD riders, who feel that loud pipes are the only real solution to being "seen".

I agree with other posters that not using them in slow traffic is a good idea, but anytime I am in any danger of not being seen, they are ON. If i get a few one finger salutes, it just means that I AM being seen.

Ride On.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I think a modulator is an EXCELLENT RESOURCE....but it should not be left on when you ride. I use a modulator to alert an oncoming car that I feel might be turning in front of me...then I turn it off (mine only activates when I turn on the high beams, and has an automatic photo sensor to turn it off at dusk when normal lights are needed. I KNOW my modulator has prevented more than one potential "left hand turn" evasion by me. When people see you, it changes the game. I have seen people on phones and texting while signaling a turn, YIKES. I think a modulator needs to be used wisely, flicking it on and off appropriately. Riding with it on continuously might create new hazards. All of us are doing the best we can. I don't feel a "one finger salute" is ever useful (it might make you feel superior or "better" for a moment, but every negative act has ripples that are negative as well). If you feel someone is being rude with their modulators, discuss it with them....many with headlight modulators have never been followed by someone using the devices...in other words they just don't know. Head-on, these are not too distracting because they are gone so quickly. Even this discussion is a great step forward in educating the riding community to the optimal use of headlight modulators. Cheers and safe riding....just one opinion from the frozen north- Brad in Duluth (come on SPRING!).
Agreed--I have the Kisan. Installed it in the 1100 when I had that and moved it to the 1300. Most of my commute is on the interstate highway system. I have gotton away from using it, seems like it annoyed people more than anything. I'll admit its kinda fun to flip them on and watch the brake lights come on in front of you.:)

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Turn them on turn them off ?? talk about giving a confusing signal to other drivers . some tools are meant to be used in a certian way or not at all , but what do I know I only have .

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
The only thing more irritating than meeting someone with a modulator is having one behind me. You folks that have them and like them more power to you.
--Garry--

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I started using a modulator on my (new) 1978 Gold Wing.... I did so after meeting the inventor, a Professor from one of the Carolina's, I believe......his product was called a "Q Switch"....not nearly as sophisticated as the units today (no "automatic" function) but I was immediately taken by the effectiveness!
Now, some 20+ bikes later, it is the first "farkle" that I add.....
I am currently using the Comagination unit, and flashing just one of my headlights....but I can tell immediately if my low beams are on during the day by the behavior of drivers.....
And added plus is that people get out of the way on the highway!
They sure make me feel safer....but then I like ABS (on cars and bikes), helmets and seat belts.....
Have fun!

Top Bottom