Headlight Modulators: Thoughts?

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Hmmmm.... I have Hyperlites on the back of my bike that flash every time I engage the brakes.... is that irritating & distracting as well?
Couple guys I know have a super bright Whelen brake light... that must be even more irritating.
Yes they are. I should lead. Then the headlamp mod. would bug me!

Bike
ST1300A
Yup I use my always. Sometimes gets me mistaken for Police but that's OK - I've had people pull-over to let me go past.
It really does get you noticed but you can't become complacent just because you have one.

Last summer a cop in Boston told me to turn it off, he said it was illegal. I complied and later turned it back on - it was not worth arguing about, and he was just doing his job. To show that they are legal I carry a copy of the applicable legislation in my panniers just in case a LEO is questioning it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hmmmm.... I have Hyperlites on the back of my bike that flash every time I engage the brakes.... is that irritating & distracting as well?
Couple guys I know have a super bright Whelen brake light... that must be even more irritating.
I have a version of the brake light flasher as well. While it might be a bit annoying, its 3 quick flashes, then solid- just enough to catch someone's attention and say "hey, I'm stopping", then it goes solid. I think there is a lot more risk of being rear ended by cagers, and I think the brake lights are more effective than a flashing headlight. I don't ride around with my brake light constantly flashing. THAT would indeed be annoying.

But it does give me an idea...maybe I'll wire up a switch to my flashing LEDs so that if I get someone behind me with a modulator, I can start my tail lights flashing until they shut off their headlight modulator...LOL.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I can't speak of anyone but me. Since I ride a motorcycle I have conditioned my mind so I can spot a motorcycle headlight a LONG ways off. The occasions I see a modulating headlight, motorcycle doesn't register in my mind until they are really close.

Same as with the flashing brake lights. A vehicle brakes= solid red bright lights. My mind has been conditioned by this since I was 13 years old. The flashing hyperlights just don't ring my minds bell until they go solid.

Bottom line is if your around me you are less visible with modulating/flashing lights.

STOC #
I'm actually am fan of these and here is why. They flash for only a limited period of time. This timeframe seems just short enough for my mind to register that I *saw something flicker* and then I look for the flicker and see a solid brake light. In that case, I think they are very effective to spark a brain to seek the reason and note a brake light. I have sometimes thought a short duration pulsing would also be ideal with a modulator. Only a 2 or 3 second pulsing near an intersection to snag the attention. The problem is timing it precisely and that would be too difficult.

Bike
99 ST1100
I did turn them OFF when riding the Dragon and similar roads (Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country) since it served little purpose other than disrupting the focus of other riders when they should be focused on the ride.
Not "insinuating" anything. Just noting what you said. The modulators can be a distraction.

Bike
ST1300A 2006
I have a version of the brake light flasher as well. While it might be a bit annoying, its 3 quick flashes, then solid- just enough to catch someone's attention and say "hey, I'm stopping", then it goes solid. I think there is a lot more risk of being rear ended by cagers, and I think the brake lights are more effective than a flashing headlight. I don't ride around with my brake light constantly flashing. THAT would indeed be annoying.

I too like the flashing brake light...I rode with Mike970 and I could see him from a mile away! I really don't want to get hit from behind, and we are such a small visual mass at a stop-light. Now, back to the thread...I firmly believe that turning on my headlight modulator as I approach an intersection with a green light is useful. I have seen drivers "wake-up" and notice my bike. However, I do turn it off as soon as I am through the intersection, or beyond the automobile that I am concerned with. I want to be visible, and predictable when I drive.

I think there are prudent uses for a modulator, and it is up to riders to discover what seems to work best for them in terms of defensive driving. We can all agree that following behind traffic with a pulsing light for more than a few minutes is irritating...but as I said, once you feel you have been "seen/acknowledged" by the vehicle(s) you are concerned with you can flip the lights off. I don't use it on every intersection, only when I feel or sense I am not being acknowledged by oncoming traffic that may take that dreaded left turn into me!

Oh, and what I really hate are those "baby on board" stickers!....OK, fire away!

Bike
99 ST1100
I firmly believe that turning on my headlight modulator as I approach an intersection with a green light is useful.
I like that idea. Sometimes an oncoming car is preparing to make a left turn and you really don't know if they see you until you're right on top of them. I'd like to have a modulator for those situations. As it is now, I'll flash my brights on and off a few times to - hopefully - be noticed.

I like that idea. Sometimes an oncoming car is preparing to make a left turn and you really don't know if they see you until you're right on top of them. I'd like to have a modulator for those situations. As it is now, I'll flash my brights on and off a few times to - hopefully - be noticed.
I don't know if you're kidding or not, but flashing your lights at someone who's waiting to turn is a universal signal for "go ahead".

I hear the pro-modulator people say that since they use one and no one has turned in front of them yet, that must mean they work. This of course is a classic example of specious reasoning, like Homer Simpson's anti-tiger rock -

http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/tigerrepellantrock/

I've been riding since 1982 and never used a headlight modulator, and so far no one has turned in front of me, either. Anecdotal evidence can work either way, of course, which is why it's not really "evidence" of anything.

Better to be seen and not ...HIT....
I’m new to the forum, just sold a 2001 1100 and now own a 2011 PA 1300
Can anyone suggest headlight and tail light modulator brands that would work for my 1300 with Halogen bulbs?
And would a brake modulator for the bikes brake lights work on a trailer that I pull?
Anything more reasonable than the Kissan?..($ they are expensive)

Bike
2006 ST1300
I keep an eye on eBay for modulators for sale. It’s amazing how many come up for sale. I bought a Kisan for my NC700x for 23$ This past March.
just make sure it’ll handle the wattage for both lamps, or hook it up to just one. I made a simple “ Y” harness for the ST.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Unfortunately,,, SDC has not come thru,,, for about 3 years,, to build a modulator for LED's. Last time I checked,,, the poor receptionist is still offering to add your name to the waiting list. I still have SDC on my old H4 honda's,, but had to go with Kissan for the st13's LED's,,, CAt'

Anything more reasonable than the Kissan?.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I had a headlight modulator on one of my bikes – a GL1000 or CB750. People were forever yelling "Hey your headlight's shorting out1". There was only one negative reaction where a driver in front of me kept putting his hand over his mirror most likely to signal to me that my modulation annoyed him. I think that's what he was saying because he used his whole hand.

But were of a mind to add one in this day and age it would be the current SDC and not an LED compatible version (even if SDC made one). I like the virtual on/off flashing as opposed to an incandescent type dim/bright modulating beam for its greater conspicuity. With great power comes great responsibility of photon management. As another rider does/did (?) 'modulation' would would be engaged only when the extra conspicuity might be an asset – passing cars splitting lane filtering etc. In that application I think the SDC is perfectly fit to purpose.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I've got one installed on my ST 1100. It's wired so that it only modulates the headlight if I have selected the high beam position.

I think it is a useful safety device, but not the kind of thing that should be left on all the time. I turn mine on selectively, whenever I think I am in a situation where the risk of motorists not seeing me is elevated. Otherwise, I leave the low beam on and the motorcycle lighting appears normal to other motorists.

What I have seen recently, which I think would be a better solution for increasing conspicuity, is a pair of bright yellow lights mounted low on the front forks. The bright yellow (like a foglight) is unusual and captures attention, and the placement of the headlight at the top middle and the two yellow lights down low on the forks creates a triangular appearance that enables oncoming drivers to judge distance and closure rate to the motorcycle.

Michael

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
've got one installed on my ST 1100. It's wired so that it only modulates the headlight if I have selected the high beam position.
My 2001 is set up the same and I use it exactly as Michael does.

What I have seen recently, which I think would be a better solution for increasing conspicuity, is a pair of bright yellow lights mounted low on the front forks. The bright yellow (like a foglight) is unusual and captures attention, and the placement of the headlight at the top middle and the two yellow lights down low on the forks creates a triangular appearance that enables oncoming drivers to judge distance and closure rate to the motorcycle.
I have white fog lights mounted low on the front forks and it definitely gets me noticed.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
1000+ I'm a HUGE fan of yellow lights like the old CIBIE foglight I had. I'd change all amber bulbs to yellow if I could find the bulbs. I had a pair of yellow CIBIE 35 fog lights on my GL1000 below the headlight and maybe 20+" part. Very discernible in a sea of headlights running lights turn signals.

I've seen an H-D and a BMW with a similar setup and it gets your attention while they're still way down the road apiece. When toying with the idea of adding lights like that all I see is advertisers who think yellow and amber are the same color. But yeah — a brilliant idea for alwaysOn conspicuity.

Bike
ST1300
I've had a modulator for about 7 years. The light sensor turns them on, and I have an on off switch. I run them pretty much all the time in the day, but when I run them in daylight they don't look that bright to me. I have never had anyone mad at me over that. I think your new LED's are brighter, and I have thought about switching over. I probably won't switch them over till they die.

Top Bottom