Headlight Modulators: Thoughts?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I guess it doesn't work that way?
I have no idea in this case. This has been a CA law for many years and I think if it were in conflict with FMVSS it would have been changed before now. Maybe it's an error that's been under the Federal radar. I dunno. Maybe one day someone will take it to court but that wheel of justice would probably turn very slowly.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
i.e.
If the Federal law stated that any motorcycle may be equipped with a means of modulating the upper beam only, California could add that modulation of the low beam is also allowed in California. However, since the Federal law states that either high or low beam can be modulated, California can not remove the authorization to modulate the low beam.
I guess it doesn't work that way?
I think that the individual states can make laws more restrictive than federal ones but not the other way around. So if the fedsral government says you CAN modulate both beams, California could restrict it to only the high beams. But, if the Feds said you were not allowed to modulate the low beams, then the state could not override that and say you could. Or if they did, they might turn a blind eye but the Feds could still come after you. I guess this was sort of the case with cannabis unitl the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment was passed. "Sure, pot's legal as far as we're concerned but the Feds might still come after you."

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Typically there's conditions around overriding as well. For example, national speed-limit is 65mph. But many states have sections with higher limits, 70-75mph. In these cases, these sections do not quality for Federal funding assistance.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Anyone ever have issues with modulating high-beam on dual-headlights with only one for low and one for high-beam? The effect wouldn't be alternating between low & high, but it would flash high-beam side on & off completely. Might be more obvious and visible, but has side-effect of looking like wig-wag switching.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anyone ever have issues with modulating high-beam on dual-headlights with only one for low and one for high-beam? The effect wouldn't be alternating between low & high, but it would flash high-beam side on & off completely. Might be more obvious and visible, but has side-effect of looking like wig-wag switching, which is what CHP cars do when they turn on their sirens and strobes.
That will probably get you a ticket.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Yeah, that's why I never installed modulator on my CBR or VFR since those have one headlight for high and one for low.

With ST having H4 and both lights on at once, I'll install modulator. I certainly notice bikes on commutes with modulators running and hazard flashers.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The effect wouldn't be alternating between low & high, but it would flash high-beam side on & off completely.
A modulator designed for and used with incandescent bulbs modulates between 20% and 80% * of full brightness, so it never goes on/off. You might have that problem using LED bulbs with a modulator designed for incandescent bulbs, I don't know. I don't know what a modulator designed for LED bulbs used on LED bulbs looks like either.

* Approximate numbers, I don't remember the specifications.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Anyone ever have issues with modulating high-beam on dual-headlights with only one for low and one for high-beam?
Zackly. By CVC definition that's not modulation. That's wig-wag which is not allowed on civilian vehicles.
A modulator wouldn't support alternating between two headlights. Doing so would require a wig-wag device. Not the same thing. Not saying you couldn't get a way with it but I wouldn't bet on your chances.

But a modulator on either a CBR or VFR would be street legal if the appropriate type were used with the appropriate headlight type. Modulation again by definition is different than On/Off i.e. flashing lights.
Incan lights need a modulator designed for them and LED headlights need a modulator designed for LEDs if a bike is so equipped.

However I'm sure there's a villainous scofflaw or two who has blatantly used an Incan modulator with LEDs. NOT street legal. :D But I think a charismatic rider could pass that off as a proper modulator to most cops. Wig-wags would take some fancy footwork and 'splainin'.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have had a lot of experience with modulators, over the years. I moved away from SDC controllers,, reluctantly,, because they failed to offer an LED version, with proper 80/20 modulation. Their website says they will finally have one this fall,,, maybe ?? Ultimately,, the Kisan modulator gave me everything I needed,,, although I did a bunch of custom harness work for plug and play installation, with modulation on my high beams. And, Kisan was pricey. I am still not confident that the modulator does not negatively affect the cooling fans life on my F3 led bulbs. The Kisan led setup is very effective. As long as an oncoming driver is looking your way,,, a hesitation by them is produced. Which is what you want. In a very small percentage of oncoming drivers,, other negative reactions will also be produced. It's a big subject,,, and I am currently not modulating my headlights. But,,, I am thinking about returning to it. Cheers,,, CAt'

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Just curious, why not? It wouldn't look different other than the modulation. It's not like one would be on while the other modulates.
Yes, that's exactly what happens. Low-beam side would stay ON full-time with no changes. The difference is that high-beam is not added to low-beam output. Which normally would have effect of pulsing output from 110-150% of low-beams alone (it modulates high-beam filament only up to 50%).

When high-beam is on separate light, its output would be added to darkness, so 10-50%, which is 10:2 ratio vs 3:2 ratio. Which would make one light look like it's turning on & off. Combined with steady ON from low-beam on other side, would cause a wig-wag effect. Not as dramatic as actual cop lights, but noticeably different than normal modulation.

I can plug one into my CBR to demonstrate this effect.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I'm guessing that, as long as either beam wire (white or blue) receives +12v, the fan will remain running.
The fans modulate,,, when my high beam is modulating. This pulsing of the fan motors caused one of my bulbs to burn out after a half season. When I am on low beam,, the fans run constantly, since there is no modulation. F3 was asked if there could be a separate fan wire,, but declined as they had never even heard of modulation. CAt'

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
That’s interesting Cat, your experience with the fan failing with the Kaisin LED modulator. I have one on my ST and no issues with my F2 bulb fans.

Now, I don’t do anywhere near the mileage you do in January… :)

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
and no issues with my F2 bulb fans
Thanks for jogging my memory, Ggelly. I have not been focused on lighting for a while. Got to fix a couple of things in my post. Firstly,,, yes,, it's F2,,, not F3. 2nd,, the fans were modulating,, or more accurately pulsing/surging,,, as they can't do that as fast as the bulb pulses. Lastly,,, the bulb is what failed,, on one of the beams,, high I think. The fan still worked,, but I think it affected the bulbs life. I had a backup set of F2's,,, as they are relatively cheap,, compared to silver-stars or similar. So I installed those new F2's and it stayed like that up until BlueSTar's accident. Those bulbs are still 100%,, but I had removed the Kisan stuff during the rebuild. So,, long story short,,, F2's great,,, Kisan great,, F2's + Kisan = a bit of trouble last try. cheers,,, CAt'

Top Bottom