Heat issue above 70

Bike
ST1300A-06
Hi everybody.

I am having a problem with the heat on my ST and i have been reading most thread about the heat issue and seat solution but i'm not sure what solution is the right one.

I'm not saying that its a ST problem but rather my limitation as far as heat tolerance.

First thing, i live up in Canada and i am not use to the kind of heat that you have down in the State. Anything above 70 is a pain in the butt for me especially when its sunny. I know, you will tell me to move to Alaska.

If the temperature is below 70, no problem, i can ride for 3 hours without stopping. I would imagine that its not a seat problem... but if the temperature is in the 75-80, well my butt gets so warm that i have to stop after an hour and vent off and its no fun anymore.

I have tried different type of pants and still the same problem.

I have tried sheep skin, beads, and its a bit better but not a lot.

I dont know what to do. Right now i have stopped riding in warm weather untill i find a solution. Mind you, the heat wave here does not last very long, so i should be riding again very shortly.

Last night, i was reading a post about how the heat was distributed under and behind the bike and it occur to me that i have the "Fenda EXtenda" on the bike and the one installed in the back could prevent the heat from escaping.... i will remove it and see if it help.

Pall.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
The two things that most seem to agree make the most difference are removing (or drilling holes in) the left and right inner cowls, and putting heat tape on the headers. Search here and you'll find several threads on each.

Something else that looks sort of interesting, that I just ran across, is the ceramic coating on this site:

http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/Seatheat.htm

No idea if it works or not.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Boy I'd be glad if it got DOWN to 70? LOL.
Some have tried insulating under the tank and filling in the gap between the seat and the tank. Boxers under the mesh pants works for me. Occaisionally standing on the pegs helps to.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
:BDH:

Give me a break, your setting on 1300cc motor and just guessing here, that you wear shorts and don't like the heat. Get some good boots, good riding pants and get a ice pack for your boys and ride. :D

I have never had any heat that became to much to stand, it will pass and you will live. I you want to be cool drive a cage and turn on the AC. :D

Your picture shows a stock shield. When I have the stock shield on the bike and raise it just a little bit on up to raised all the way the vacuum behind the shield sucks up the hot air. I can feel the heat welling up. Shield mounted in the lowest position and down all the way lets a fair amount of air into the cockpit and blows away the heat/reduces the vacuum that draws up the heat. Try taking off your shield. For me that gets rid of the buffet to the helmet and blows away the heat even better. Too bad the shield is soooo nice on cool mornings.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Give me a break, your setting on 1300cc motor and just guessing here, that you wear shorts and don't like the heat. Get some good boots, good riding pants and get a ice pack for your boys and ride. :D

I have never had any heat that became to much to stand, it will pass and you will live. I you want to be cool drive a cage and turn on the AC. :D
The heat is an issue for some on the site.

If you have options that are constructive in nature please post.

If it's not an issue for you, that's great.

To keep the friendly 'tone' we promote on the site please don't assume the issue doesn't exist because that's an incorrect assumption, it does, just not for you.

OP
OP
Pall
Bike
ST1300A-06

Did i say i was wearing shorts, i never wear shorts always ATGATT, one time did wear jeans to see if any difference. . I might just do that... drive a cage and turn on the AC.

I mostly drive with the windshield down due to the turbulence just has you have mentionned but it does not help much.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I have made a simple change that has helped quite a bit on the heat issue.

I have mounted my screen on the highest position. This way when it is all the way down it still pushes the air up on me. However, when the screen is full up, there is much air between the screen and the cowling to remove the buffeting and vacuum feeling but also keep the hot air moving away from you.

My next move is to cut up my inner cowling pieces to keep from cooking my fairing pockets. As much as I love to transport tamales in these I melt everything I put in them and so now they are useless.

My air indicator often reads over 105.

On a personal note when it is under 70 here I need a sweater.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I don't notice any real heat on my 1300 but many have. Since you say that you feel the heat from the seat it seems that some insulation on the underside of the seat would help. :03biker:

OP
OP
Pall
Bike
ST1300A-06
Hi mark,

Thanks for the reply.

You are right about the windshield and i also did try diiferent scenario but without any significant change.

I will probably remove the inner cowl and try it out since its the thing that has the most effect. This morning i removed my
Fenda Extenda in front of the rear tire and i'm sure it will probably make a diiference. This Extenda i beleive is bloking the air from escaping to the rear. I just hope i'm right.

On a side note....

I had a couple of friends from Texas that where here on business with me and they wanted to have some hot chiken wing (They where missing that hot stuff from back home).

I took them to a restaurant that to my understanding, was one of the hottest chicken wing place in town.

On the menu there was 4 type of chiken wing from honey to very hot.

Naturally they had the Very Hot one and i told them that it was very hot indeed, nobody here ever had those except for a few .

They tried it and sure enough, for them it was like honey chiken wing.
They asked to speak to the cook and told him to put more hot stuff on those wings. I could'nt beleive it.

So its a question of what you are use to... and perception.

Thanks.

To keep the friendly 'tone' we promote on the site please don't assume the issue doesn't exist because that's an incorrect assumption, it does, just not for you.
Thank you Joe, that's why we have admin! I always tend to phrase things rather abruptly. That's why I ride more than post! :)

STOC #
I have made a simple change that has helped quite a bit on the heat issue.

I have mounted my screen on the highest position. This way when it is all the way down it still pushes the air up on me. However, when the screen is full up, there is much air between the screen and the cowling to remove the buffeting and vacuum feeling but also keep the hot air moving away from you.

My next move is to cut up my inner cowling pieces to keep from cooking my fairing pockets. As much as I love to transport tamales in these I melt everything I put in them and so now they are useless.

My air indicator often reads over 105.

On a personal note when it is under 70 here I need a sweater.
:D:D

I did exactly the opposite! And it seemed to help.

My stock screen was in the high position. I moved it to the low position, and I usually run with the screen clear down in warm weather. I get a good blast over the screen with no buffeting. Also, when Rich built me a seat, he included a strip of leather along the leading edge of the seat that seals the gap between the seat and the tank. That seemed to help too.

I'm in the temperate PNW, but I get east of the mountains fairly often, and it's a bakeoven over there. The only time the bike cooks me is when I'm poking along in traffic on a hot day. Moving at highway speeds, it's just not an issue...for me.:cool:

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #

Sorry it came across that way. Just that there is a search fuction and the heat issue you have to agree has been beaten to death. I understand that some do have problems with the heat and I am not making light of this at all. Just please do a search and see what has been said already on this and other issues. It comes up almost daily and I believe most poster like me have heard of all the fixes that may or may not work, I don't know why I keep onpening them, I will try not to open when I see one. Please help me get over this uncontrolable feeling to open every heat issue I see.

Last edited:

OK, smarty pants. Heat has been an issue for some, and for a few, myself included, it is a real problem (Georgia/NC). So, go easy. It may not be your experience, but that don't mean it don't exist.

I have to agree with the suggestion to remove the lower front cowls. I did this and it helped greatly with the heat as it flows more air into the inner cowling cavity and helps move along the air out the sides quicker. A simple test should prove this to be the easiest and possible the most effective remedy. As a side benefit of removing them, I have noticed increased stability on the highway around SUVs and trucks at all speeds as well as the bike seemingly feeling more stable in crosswinds of lower magnitudes. Of course for those sensitive to the heat this doesn't remove it but it seems to mix more cooler air in with the hot so overall the air moving to the leg area seems cooler to me. Which makes sense because the front air is not forced through the radiator inclusively. I think it also helps with the heat build up which can occur under the seat as well. ..... and I got my first set of Avons on the bike....woohoo.... love em so far.....hehe.

OP
OP
Pall
Bike
ST1300A-06
I like the one about the sweater around 70.

I know that the ST1300 is not a small bike and it will put out quite a lot of heat but as i said in my original post, i beleive it has to do with me rather then the bike to a certain point. yes i feel more heat from the ST but its a bigger machine.

Before having my ST1300, i had a Cruiser (Shadow 1100 1986) and i still had problem with my butt been toasted in around and above 70 degree. So i think maybe it has to do more with the kind of pants and underwear i have and not been able to support heat in that region.

I understand that there are a few things that can be done on the ST but i also should investigate on the Apparel like good mesh pants and other stuff.

Thanks again.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Heck, my wife won't even go on the bike if the temperature is expected to "drop" below 75 anytime during our ride. 72 is just too cold to be out riding (her words, and I'm not too far behind). And yes, with full leathers. We also don't go into the pool until the water temp hits at least a chilly 83, but that's around April, so no big deal.

It all depends on where you are located as to what is hot and what is cold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pall
Bike
ST1300A-06
TMUS2122,

As i said in my original post, i did do a search and did gather a lot of info.
But as i said, it probably has to do more with my tolerance and also the type of pants that i have, i dont know.

So far the replies that i had this morning will surely help me in trying different thing.

Pall.

OP
OP
Pall
Bike
ST1300A-06
Hey RobTV,

LOL Can you beleive that we have started to use to pool about a week ago and its 68 degree going to 72. Nice and cool.
Anything around 83 here is considered too warm.

Like you said, different region different people.

Have a nice warm day and in the meantime i stick my head in the frig.

Top Bottom