Heated Grips - Advice?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Last item on my list of upgrades for my 2007 ST1300 . . . Heated Grips.

The bike has BMW Sports Grips which are comfortable and durable. Not sure they're best suited for heat transfer though . . . lots of ridges and valleys.
BMW Sports Grips.jpg

When I started riding I didn't think I'd ever need heated grips until . . . I had them! Thanks dduelin for the insight!

So, any recommendations?

Shuey

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Last item on my list of upgrades for my 2007 ST1300 . . . Heated Grips.

The bike has BMW Sports Grips which are comfortable and durable. Not sure they're best suited for heat transfer though . . . lots of ridges and valleys.
BMW Sports Grips.jpg

When I started riding I didn't think I'd ever need heated grips until . . . I had them! Thanks dduelin for the insight!

So, any recommendations?

Shuey
I'm like you, Shuey.
The best you know, is the best you've ridden.
I'm liking the GSA heated grips, not that I'm answering your question.
I do know many people use and like Oxford heated grips.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
ST1300 handlebar size . . . 22mm? 0.86"?

Found two possibilities, anyone using either of these?

1st: Oxford. There were several models, this is the "Touring" one. If this will work, it'll take a little thought on where to place the controller.

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.32.12 PM.png

2nd: Koso. More expensive but the controller is built into the grip.

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.37.27 PM.png

Thoughts?
Shuey

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
ST1300 handlebar size . . . 22mm? 0.86"?

Found two possibilities, anyone using either of these?

1st: Oxford. There were several models, this is the "Touring" one. If this will work, it'll take a little thought on where to place the controller.

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.32.12 PM.png

2nd: Koso. More expensive but the controller is built into the grip.

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.37.27 PM.png

Thoughts?
Shuey
Yes, the Oxford, *the touring is to short, go with the adventure*. Mounts up nice on the clutch lever bolts.

Edit* lets get someone to confirm length*

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know what to offer. BMW grips are shaped nicely to my hands and the ribs don't seem to have any effect on heat coming through but their heating elements are more effective compared to the Symtec Heat Demons I installed on my other two bikes.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The Oxfords are great, put them on the Super Ten when one of the oem ones started to fail and found they were better. Plus, you just hook straight to the battery and it has the smarts to auto-turn off if it doesn't detect vibes/movement from the bike. But, has a very easy display pad.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
2nd the Koso's! I love them, paid $118 in October of '22..

Koso 27-5869 Koso Apollo Heated Grips 7/8" 120Mm Long

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Yes, the Oxford, *the touring is to short, go with the adventure*. Mounts up nice on the clutch lever bolts.

Edit* lets get someone to confirm length*
Yes, (touring) too short. I returned them for the (adventure).
You can trim to fit. I opted to space out the weights and leave the outer flange on the grips intact.
Trimming them would have the weight diameter larger, leaving a hard corner edge exposed.
The clutch side broke loose a couple times on me (parked in the hot sun).
There was a thread here somewhere on them coming loose.
I ended up using RTV on the bar and VHB tape on the inner flange.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the Oxfords with the controller mounted to the clutch master cylinder (the hardware is included). I don't recall if I got the touring, sport, or adventure. I'd measure the grips to get the right ones. I know I didn't have to cut them. I wired it to the quartet harness up front.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I put the Oxfords on my ST, and liked them so much that I put the same grips on my VStrom. On both I made my own mounting plate out of a piece of stainless steel sheet metal. I used spacers between the mounting plate and the brake reservoir bolts (the ones that hold it to the handlebar) and double faced tape to hold the controller to the metal plate. I have almost never used above the second light. Full bore is way too hot. Oxfords auto turn off when you shut down the bike.

I did cut mine shorter because I had a throttlemeister on my ST. IIRC, I bought the wrong ones and returned them because they were too short. Probably ended up w/ the adventure but like @RobbieAG, I don't remember. Measure your grips, as suggested and look at Oxford's specs. They not only tell you the length OAL, but also how much you can trim off the end.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Third vote for the Koso heated grips. I put them on my Africa Twin a few years ago. I like the button controls on the grip - similar to the OEM controls. They get quite hot even through Grip Buddie covers. You can order the Koso grips in a couple of different lengths as well.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Keep your grips, acquire these. Velcro heated grips. I just installed them on my VStrom. I find the heat transfer better than the dedicated grips like Oxford. No heat loss to the handle bars as they go overtop of your existing grips. They are slim. Easy to install and easy to take off when you don’t need them. $20 Canadian, free shipping and I got them in 10 days.
there are 3 temperature options which is basically all you need.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Keep your grips, acquire these. Velcro heated grips. I just installed them on my VStrom. I find the heat transfer better than the dedicated grips like Oxford. No heat loss to the handle bars as they go overtop of your existing grips. They are slim. Easy to install and easy to take off when you don’t need them. $20 Canadian, free shipping and I got them in 10 days.
there are 3 temperature options which is basically all you need.
Koso also makes clip on heated grips that snap on over your standard grips. I have not heard how they work though.

Top Bottom