Heated Grips - Advice?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Has anyone had exoerience with removable heated grips ? Ie; Koso X-claws or Bikemaster? Any input would appreciated
My VStrom came with Oxford removable heated grips with an on off switch controller. The heat generated from them were far superior to the Oxford heated grips that I had installed on my ST1100. Unfortunately the supply wire broke off. I took the unit apart and re-soldered the wire to the heating wires. I just have to sew the wrap back up again. I like the concept of removable heated elements as I can maintain the original grips that the bike came with.
The cons;
Need to have a place to store the grips when not in use.
The possibility of the feed wire breaking on the throttle side if you don’t provide the necessary slack for throttle twisting.
Pro
More direct heat transfer to your hands as the bars don’t work as a heat sink

My VStrom came with Oxford removable heated grips with an on off switch controller. The heat generated from them were far superior to the Oxford heated grips that I had installed on my ST1100. Unfortunately the supply wire broke off. I took the unit apart and re-soldered the wire to the heating wires. I just have to sew the wrap back up again. I like the concept of removable heated elements as I can maintain the original grips that the bike came with.
The cons;
Need to have a place to store the grips when not in use.
The possibility of the feed wire breaking on the throttle side if you don’t provide the necessary slack for throttle twisting.
Pro
More direct heat transfer to your hands as the bars don’t work as a heat sink
Very interesting! I notice the left grip is cooler on the Oxford heaters, and I interpreted this as being because of the heat sink due to direct handlebar contact, whereas the throttle side has the plastic throttle sleeve between the bar and heated grip.

Top Bottom