Helmet cam v. bike mounted cam

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm curious about the Austrian rationale for banning cameras, do they think people will ride/drive for show?
Yeah... the GDPR flood...
CCTV in cars are "unlawful" over here... and beware where you place a trail (or security) camera in your garden/property, neighbors could (successfully) object...
Motorcyclists are exempt while/over filming "a scenic route"...
In the event of an accident the footage of your car's CCTV will of course be happily accepted/taken into evidence (you might still pay the administrative penalty for having it in the first place...)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've used the photo-every-xx-seconds several times, and then speed them up a timeline in a NLE*, so as to appear like a timelapse.
Benefit of the Sony FDR-X3000R is the small remote with TFT screen, enabling checking proper camera positioning and access to menu and controls...
The phone app WiFi remote is even more sophisticated in this regard, a second app further enables download, some editing and uploading (short) footage right on the spot...

I use Camtasia, and others, for editing.
*Non-linear editing is a form of offline editing for audio, video, and image editing. In offline editing, the original content is not modified in the course of editing. In non-linear editing, edits are specified and modified by specialized software.
I used to run Power Director (it was the only decent priced editing software supporting _64 bit OS), but they've changed to a 365 cloud based, monthly/annual payment policy... :confused:

My favorite alternative therefore:
FOC, offline, all local on my drive, intuitive, even my GF manages to work with it...

But there is the crux:
Having camera/s installed and running is one thing...
Connecting the netbook every evening to transfer their microSD content onto a portable 1TB SSD another...
The aftermath to wade through hundreds of takes, select, cut, rename, relocate into a work-folder to then combine those (someday) finally into decent artwork is the killer tough...

I faced a major issue with D/SLR already: do I ride or do I gaze and take photos... a significant conflict... those activities actually exclude each other...
Filming appears even more complex to me, I'd have to plan the tours by a storyboard now...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Methinks you'll be risking a stiff neck... trying to get steady, nice footage... fumbling for the controls might as well be an issue (unless it has a WiFi remote via smartphone)
When on the bike it'll be lower (view-field obstructed by guard rails and jersey barriers) plus the cam leans with the bike, you might tinker with several, sturdy quick-release attachment locations...
Wind-noise is a big issue, I'd suggest an external (stereo) mike with a decent dead cat...

(occasionally I run a Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Action Cam...)
I physically 'scan' continuously.....mirrors, over the shoulder, instrument panel, left/right, oncoming vehicles, upcoming vehicles, parked vehicles, vehicles at stops, sidewalks, crosswalks....makes watching the helmet mounted video a real headache inducing chore. Completely different interpretation of the trip than I think I experienced.
Your riding style should help decide helmet mounted vs fixed.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I physically 'scan' continuously ...[snip]...
Your riding style should help decide helmet mounted vs fixed.
Very Good point. In this case, I agree, there will be too many camera movement.
Riding alone on a deserted country road is a different story. But you do still have to turn your head around to check the mirrors, instrument cluster, etc..
I probably tend to move my eyes more than my head, tough, as much as possible.

I forgot to mention another advantage of having the camera mounted on the helmet. It is when you lean the bike while taking a curve.
By keeping your head almost vertical, on the video, the landscape and route will stay horinzontal, and you will see the bike lean into the curve.
If the camera is mounted, say on the dashboard or handlebar, on the video the bike will stay straight and it is the route/landscape that will incline left or right. Unless you use a special gyroscopic gimbal to keep the camera at level all the time.

Yep. All this to say, we each have to try and experiment.
It certainly could become very technical. It all depend what goal we have. Personally, I just want to record some parts of an enjoyable ride, for myself and relatives.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
In my opinion, a helmet camera is a better solution. More interesting to watch that a camera that just "goes" where the bike is pointing. With a helmet cam, you're recording what YOU are seeing / experiencing. Just my opinion, using a gopro on my helmet on a regular basis. But,,,,,, you have to do what you deem best. If you are going to use the cam for "safety", in case something happens, I would use a bike mounted system, front and rear.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've used the photo-every-xx-seconds several times, and then speed them up a timeline in a NLE*, so as to appear like a timelapse.
Um– isn't that the definition of time lapse photography? :) I haven't installed any camera(s) yet. I'm considering it and would probably do a bike mounted cam first. With or without any IS it would yield the least annoying viewing for me. Noraly's helmet mounted cam doesn't bother me because it's not so much a travelog as a documentary of her journeys. I manage my expectations within that context.

A helmet mounted cam does offer a variety of views but I'd guess that after good editing, there'd be far more on the cutting room floor than on a hard drive. I'd prefer to stop and shoot my tourist remembrances instead of relying on mounted cameras. And then there's drone coverage.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, it is the definition.
But I try to be careful with tech talk, not to use too much jargon.
Not everyone knows all the same stuff, and I've found myself in trouble when I assume things.

Reactions: Obo

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Interesting. I just bought myself a GoPro Hero8 Black and have been pondering its mounting. I don't fancy it hanging off one side of the helmet and as I have a modular (Schuberth C3), a chin mount may not be convenient either.

Essentially I'll be using it more like a dashcam.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I do a ton of video when traveling and currently have my chin mount, a rear facing cam at me, a side mount on the clutch reservoir, and one or two on the trailer. But, I'm trying to make movies and not just record sniippits of rides. There is alway at least 1 camera rolling. Often 3. I remember in one of Tim Collins FTA videos he did the Bear Tooth Pass and discovered his one GoPro was either not turned on or the battery ran out. I don't like turning the cameras on and off because you don't know when that moose is going to jump out in front of you, you come around the corner and there is a great bit of scenery that you do not capture and/or you have a problem with a bad driver.
I end up with far too much footage and 95% goes to the digital wasteland,
I did the top of helmet, found the wind drag could be annoying and the view seemed unnatural. Chin works the best for me.
I think that Norally is carrying only 2 GoPros and will switch them up from chin, to chest, to handlebars. She uses the chin one the most as she can then record her audio easier. I've got an external recorder I use occassionally.
You really have to decide what you want to do with the video, why you are recording and the, of course, you'll change your mind after doing it for a few trips.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve narrowed it down to one camera and I mount it on the bars. It’s an Insta 360 1x2. The battery lasts for 8 hours in standby mode and 90 minutes film time. I use a wireless microphone in my helmet for audio. I can later choose the point of view in post. I can hook it up to external power if I wish. I can operate it via a remote or voice commands with Apple earbuds.
I did have a chin mount and another on the bars, batteries lasted 45 minutes and sometimes it was a pain to make sure it was recording.
I’m having fun.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a INNOV K3 front/rear setup on my '07 1300. It wasn't difficult for me to decide between helmet or bike mounted because I have several helmets that I can wear at any given time and I didn't want to have to switch stuff between them. Plus it's on when the bike is on, off when the bike is off and has the parking mode so that if something bumps my bike it records for one time period (mine is set for 3 minutes).
I wanted it mainly for accident recording but I do occasionally watch some of my more scenic trips.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I will jump in here and point out that under US FEDERAL LAW (USDOT reg), it is illegal in all 50 states to attach anything to a helmet that it wasn’t manufactured with. There are a dozen videos on YouTube of Georgia State Patrol pulling over riders and having them remove cameras from helmets. I use the INNOV system on my bike. It’s front and rear camera sees everything just fine.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I submit any rider concerned with the legality of helmet mounted cameras, READ and UNDERSTAND your state code.
I likewise watched a YouTube video this weekend wherein a legal firm ("real" lawyers) critiqued a recorded video, a rider had a helmet cam and would not submit his personal ID upon being stopped (separate issue, for our purposes) and the officer vaguely cited an ordinance restricting helmet mounted cameras, as @aniwack stated (sorry, i do not recall which state this occurred.)
But come to find out, this code was limited to the MANUFACTURER installing an item, and NOT the consumer of the helmet product.
Therefore, the rider was deemed to be in the right, and was not cited for it.
All this to say, know yer stuff if you anticipate a traffic stop, or if you don't anticipate one.
As I've learned regarding possession and carrying of weapons, the police and the sheriff's are NOT experts on every law and every statute. They are people like us, and many feel they understand it, but really don't.
No disrespect intended.
I support the police.
And I support our Constitution.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I will jump in here and point out that under US FEDERAL LAW (USDOT reg), it is illegal in all 50 states to attach anything to a helmet that it wasn’t manufactured with.
These types of laws are usually very similar between Canada and the US. If this is the case in the US, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it is in Canada as well.

I have had a Go Pro for several years and have never used it. I have been thinking about trying it out. Several people I have asked about it have stated that helmet mount is the best position. Given that, I would like to know what the law is here before I mount it but I haven't found anything about it in the law yet- I gave up looking for now.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would like to know what the law is here before I mount it but I haven't found anything about it in the law yet- I gave up looking for now.
Although from 2014, and seemingly from Australia, I just found this, and as I mentioned, it talks about the "manufacturing process", not what the user does.

https://motorbikewriter.com/clarification-on-helmet-mounted-cameras/

EDIT: a more recent, US-based article. The pertinent information is up top, before the camera reviews and the remaining information about cameras. The salient point here is regarding "permanent modification", which supposedly allows adhesive mounts or straps. Use this information at your own risk.

https://www.themotoexpert.com/are-helmet-cameras-legal-in-the-us/

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am more interested in what is written in the law, I just haven't had the gumption to go through enough of it it to find it yet, that is if it is even there.
Every time I look for something in the law, I always think to myself that they should be able to do a better job of making things easier to find.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
If purchance one was ever in an accident and you had a helmet cam installed, the insurance company will find a way not to pay out because you have one installed on your helmet. They seem to know all the technicalities. :(

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I am more interested in what is written in the law, I just haven't had the gumption to go through enough of it it to find it yet, that is if it is even there.
Every time I look for something in the law, I always think to myself that they should be able to do a better job of making things easier to find.
Without digging deep in legal jargon documents, here's what the Quebec DMV has for rules. It no where states cameras are illegal.

I wasn't aware eye protection was mandatory.

A semi-deep jargon looks says this: https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/C-24.2, r. 6
but I don't think section 3.3 applies to adding a camera:
3. Moreover, to be in compliance, a protective helmet shall meet the following standards of use:
(1) (paragraph revoked);
(2) it shall be correctly adjusted and firmly attached by a chin strap; and
(3) it shall be free of any modification to or deterioration of the internal or external structure. The helmet may, however, be repainted.

If adding a camera was illegal so would communication systems like Cardos etc.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If purchance one was ever in an accident and you had a helmet cam installed, the insurance company will find a way not to pay out because you have one installed on your helmet. They seem to know all the technicalities. :(
You don't have a camera? Sorry we can't pay out as it's a case of who said what. Oh, you do have a camera? Sorry we can't pay out due to non adherence with your policy terms.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Taught an MSF basic ridercourse class a few years back, with two motor scouts from a town south of us.
One of them (who became friends during the class) remarked (confirming what I already suspected), "If I have to pull you over, and you show me an attitude, I CAN and I WILL find SOMETHING to write you a ticket for."
Yup.
Exactly what I thought.
On another hand, had a riding club friend and policeman who voided a speeding ticket for me, even though he wasn't the one to write it.
Ah, justice...

Top Bottom