Helmet cam v. bike mounted cam

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You don't have a camera? Sorry we can't pay out as it's a case of who said what. Oh, you do have a camera? Sorry we can't pay out due to non adherence with your policy terms.
Yet, we don't have ANY problem installing a tracking and monitoring device on your vehicles so we can know about your speed and your whereabouts.
For your convenience, don't ya know...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Without digging deep in legal jargon documents, here's what the Quebec DMV has for rules. It no where states cameras are illegal.
I have seen that, and my eyes glazed over because I don't have the interest to go through all the related laws referred to at the moment. They write these regulations so that instead of stipulating directly what the law is they keep referencing other related regulations, any one of which might have something pertinent to what you are looking for. I have found that until you have gone through all of them, you can't say for sure what the law is.
If adding a camera was illegal so would communication systems like Cardos etc.
I have read that they are illegal in some jurisdictions.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
For those of us living in Alabama, or riding in, around, or through our state, this is for you (from the Code of Alabama, otherwise known as "the law") --
(if you don't care to read it, you MAY mount a camera to your helmet. or you can mount a banana. or a rainbow mohawk. or kitty cat ears.)

32-12-41
Section 32-12-41 Specifications. The protective helmet shall meet the following specifications:
(1) DESIGN. One which is specifically designed for motorcycle riders and motorcycle
passenger use. (2) EXTERIOR SHELL. A hard exterior shell of nonshatterable material, resistant
to impact and penetration. (3) CRADLE. A firmly secured shock absorbent cradle for the head
designed to support the helmet and maintain separation between the head and outer shell. Materials
used in this portion of protective helmet shall be of durable quality and with characteristics
that will not undergo appreciable alteration under the influence of aging or of the circumstances
of use to which the helmet is normally subjected. Materials commonly known to cause skin irritation
or disease shall not be used for these parts of the assembly which come in contact with the
skin. (4) PADDING. Impact-resistant, absorbent padding or cushioning material of substantial
thickness in all areas where the head is in close...
alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/CodeOfAlabama/1975/32-12-41.htm - 1K - Match Info - Similar pages

I find that when watching videos that are shot from helmet mounts, it is easy to get disoriented. The rider has their head on a swivel so that shot is all over the place. A shot from the bike is cleaner and easier to watch. You can also get multiple cameras and combine the video.

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
I couldn't find any outright prohibition and this law firm in BC says there is no law against it; https://taylorandblair.com/blog/2016/10/17/camera-on-motorcycle-helmet-vancouver/

In Alberta, the Regs adopt certain standards for motorcycle helmets including FMVSS-218:

(2) The following are adopted and apply to safety helmets in accordance with subsection (1):

(a) CSA Standard CAN3‑D230‑M85;

(b) U.S.A. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS 218 Motorcycle Helmets 1993 OCT;

(c) U.S.A. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards FMVSS 218 Motorcycle Helmets 2000 OCT;

(d) British Standards Institute Standard BSI‑B6658 ‑ 1995;

(e) Snell Memorial Foundation M2000.

FMVSS-218 states:

S5.5 Projections. A helmet shall not have any rigid projections

inside its shell. Rigid projections outside any

[[Page 582]]

helmet's shell shall be limited to those required for operation of

essential accessories, and shall not protrude more than 0.20 inch (5

mm).

So by adoption, it is possible that helmet cams, or my Cardo Packtalk Bold, are not permissible given that they likely extend more than 5 mm from the side of the helmet. Though the AB Reg does suggest that the helmet must meet one or more of the standards.

Clear as mud.....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That same "5mm" protrusion limit was found in the video I mentioned above, but on closer scrutiny it only applied to the Manufacturer, and not the user.
Still, we have to know the laws where WE live, not the YouTubers.
(Or where we'll travel. Nah, too much work.)

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
That same "5mm" protrusion limit was found in the video I mentioned above, but on closer scrutiny it only applied to the Manufacturer, and not the user.
Still, we have to know the laws where WE live, not the YouTubers.
(Or where we'll travel. Nah, too much work.)
Fair point, and good catch, have you ever considered a career in law? :)

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I will jump in here and point out that under US FEDERAL LAW (USDOT reg), it is illegal in all 50 states to attach anything to a helmet that it wasn’t manufactured with....
Anything??

What about intercom devices (Sena, Cardo, etc.)?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What about intercom devices (Sena, Cardo, etc.)?
It's a grey zone...
over here regulations prohibit wearing headphones while operating an automotive... so by the book would speakers installed inside a crash-helmet actually qualify as such...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@ST1100Y that is interesting.
As I don't know, I'm by no means disputing this, but in many locals "hands free" is required for using your phone.
Wonder if some places contradict themselves in this way... I'd think an earbud or earpiece would raise some questions, vis a vis hands free and headphones / speakers.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... but in many locals "hands free" is required for using your phone.
Wonder if some places contradict themselves in this way... I'd think an earbud or earpiece would raise some questions, vis a vis hands free and headphones / speakers.
Exactly the crux...
A proper "hands free kit" in the car consists of surface mounted mike and speaker (or it uses the stereo's door speakers), so you'd still hear the surrounding traffic, car horns, EMT sirens, etc...
Today's fashion of wearing those stupid in-ear-buds all the time leads to all kinds of dangerous situations and (often lethal) accidents...
Pedestrians listing to music/phone conversation stepping out in front of a tramway... >40 tons of public transport will splash you like a dropped cranberry...
So besides having their eyes glued to a screen, they also blend out any audio reception... darvinism...

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Connecting the netbook every evening to transfer their microSD content onto a portable 1TB SSD another...
Have you tried something like this:

It may be overkill because it's wireless, but it'll allow you to plug in your SD-card, or USB drive, and back it up with the push of a button. No need to pull out your netbook. I'm not sure if they make a wireless one, or even still make this one, but it,or something similar, might be what you need to reduce the number of steps you need to do.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
@ST1100Y that is interesting.
As I don't know, I'm by no means disputing this, but in many locals "hands free" is required for using your phone.
I don't think it's contradicting...
You can not use a phone without a hands-free device. You can not use headphones while driving a motor vehicle. Ergo, you cannot use a cell phone while riding a motorcycle (unless you use some kind of external speaker system). You could still use it for maps, I suppose.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Exactly the crux...
A proper "hands free kit" in the car consists of surface mounted mike and speaker (or it uses the stereo's door speakers), so you'd still hear the surrounding traffic, car horns, EMT sirens, etc...
Today's fashion of wearing those stupid in-ear-buds all the time leads to all kinds of dangerous situations and (often lethal) accidents...
Pedestrians listing to music/phone conversation stepping out in front of a tramway... >40 tons of public transport will splash you like a dropped cranberry...
So besides having their eyes glued to a screen, they also blend out any audio reception... darvinism...
This is an interesting subject that begs the question.... Can deaf people obtain a driver's license? Would the license be restricted in some way? If deaf people can legally drive a car (or ride a motorcycle) then wouldn't that render the argument against headphones, earbuds, and helmet speakers essentially moot?

Besides, many of us here ride with earplugs (myself included), which block sounds and render us partially deaf. However, I have found that I can hear traffic, screeching brakes, and sirens better than without the earplugs. The earplugs block more of the lower frequencies (wind, exhaust, etc.) while letting the higher frequencies through (Sirens, etc.).

So, back to my point, if deaf people can legally drive then how can we have laws against headphones, earbuds, etc? Especially since I can legally drive my car with the windows up and the stereo blasting to the point where I cannot hear anything outside the car (I don't....but I could)! So what's the difference between that and helmet speakers (or headphones)?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@STumped there is a fundamental flaw in your reasoning.
It appears as if you are basing your question on the false assumption that the laws were written to make sense.
They're not, and often don't.
In my country it seems half of our legislation is concocted capriciously and arbitrarily, by bored congressmen with no other motivation than to look like they've done something, in order to keep their office.
And it's working, because they almost never leave, once they're elected.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The law here provides an exemption for motorcyclists where it allows the use of ear plugs and/or in-helmet speakers.
I don't remember if it made a distinction between the use of in-helmet speakers and ear buds.

That exemption does not include bicyclists.

Top Bottom