Himalayan Tour-Mussorie to Leh (Ladakh)

Great mountains, great rhodes, beautiful women....... what more could a tourist need......ah yes.......great food ! How about a report on (and a pic or two) of some lamb vindaloo?? or such??
Cheers, ride safe, I know you're having fun.
OG
great point! :) but considering where they are, it'd not be surprising to hear they've have some great Tibetan yak soup !

beautiful pictures make it all so visceral. Thank you! Looking forward to this journey as it motors on! [emoji16]

sent by thepaleobiker - on Tapatalk

We're in Manali
We're in Manali
(To the tune of we're in the money)

Never enough time to tick out all the details but here are some of the last few days worth of pics.
u8ama3ut.jpg

uty2a4y5.jpg

Me and Fali take an early morning hike...
5ejepe3y.jpg

Yep, it was cold in those tents but those quilts were powerful medicine.
8u9e6uvy.jpg

George chows down ... I sit lunch out due to a belly ache.
nubejasy.jpg

Shepherds pick the wrong time to try to cross a one lane bridge in this traffic. Many of these woolly critters bolted in the opposite direction as the Shepard dragged the lead sheep by the scruff of the neck across the bridge we had just crossed. We'll never know how that turned out.
jypezu7a.jpg

GS3&TT2

We're all back in Mussoorie as of yesterday evening. Day off today,night train to Delhi at 11PM.
I'll be home 3 days then off to Chicago.

Everyone was over for a regular afternoon tea. Tea, samosas, a variety of Indian sweets, etc. Rehashed and relived different parts of the trip. Danny, George, Paul, and Tashi are leaving this PM on the night train to New Delhi and a trip to the Taj Mahal tomorrow before they head back home. I'll take the time to resize and post some pictures and update the blog in the next few days. Attached a picture of the BOYZ with the group.

Attachments

• IMG_1019[1].jpg
    IMG_1019[1].jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 94
What did I miss? What's with Danny's sling, don't recall seeing ang post about that. Hope it is minor.

It was a great little get together. Thanks Fali, for setting up this visit with your sweet mom.
I guess this is a good time to explain the shoulder brace and sling that I am wearing.
Yesterday, our last ride day was long and twisty. Toward the end of the day I felt a bit like I was losing focus on the road and what I was doing. I was in the three our of five slot when I simply found myself in the dust and rocky gravel shoulder of an outside turn. (Right hand turn in the left travel lane of a two lane twisty)
Unaware of how I got there, and while trying to regain control, all I saw was a barrier wall coming closer. I am pretty sure I target fixed on it though there is no evidence I actually hit it. I am now pretty sure I high sided having probably touched the front brake a bit to hard and when I hit the ground and for a split second, I thought I was going to be ok....then it hit me. Quite literally the bike slammed down onto my shoulders as they were perpendicular to the ground.
X-Rays in Dehra dun revealed a broken right collar bone and two broken ribs on the left side.
I give high marks to Tashi for springing into action fast to get me to the best and most expensive hospital which was three painful hours ride in the truck.
Final bill after X-Rays, consultation, pain meds, and antibiotics for a moderate compression abrasion on my right hip....$50.
I was put to the head of a long waiting crowd because, as Tashi puts it, they knew I could pay.
Very modern, very quick, very professional and clean.
Stop for a break when drowsy!

GS3&TT2

Glad you're alright! Some of those roads are kinda scary in that there's not much roadside fences etc.

Secondly, I'd not have guessed the Enfield could really high side, this is interesting to hear from you. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Vishnu

sent by thepaleobiker - on Tapatalk

Timing is everything Danny, at least you waitied for the last day to do yourself in! :eek:4:

Hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

Tough way to end a trip....especially one of that magnitude. Good to hear that you weren't hurt any worse. Hope you heal quickly & that the trip home is a smooth one. Take care, Danny.

Oh, FWIW, I went back and edited my previous comment......quite a difference in "hug" & "hung".

John

Holy moly! I've been working insane hours and was away in Toronto for a couple of days and was just catching up on all the pics and stories...and I see this!
Very sorry you went down, Danny and sure glad you're not hurt more severely (although I'm sure you could do without the broken collarbone and ribs!).
Hope the trip home isn't too uncomfortable. As for the rest, looks like a great trip, folks and great pics. Again, glad you're relatively OK!!

Patty

Sorry to hear this Danny but glad the story wasn't that you took a 300 foot free fall before stopping. Heal well.

Jeez Danny, you were supposed to be careful out there............now you've screwed up the riding season..........:D...........Seriously, glad it wasn't on one of those roads where you fall to your death...........might be tough dancing for a few months...........ff

First of all apologies to Danny for posting the group shot without thinking, I was wanting him to tell the story when he was ready. Danny is doing pretty good. He walked down town with us yesterday to have lunch and do a little shopping. The walk back up to Doma's Inn is pretty steep and he did a great job of walking up( he had to 'cause non of us were going to carry him)! It was about a 2 mile round trip.

I was riding sweep for the entire trip and was just about 100-150 meters behind Danny when the incident took place. As Danny said, we were running a beautiful road that had never ending twisties. I was coming down hill and saw Danny entering the curve from my position. I'd guess 10-15 seconds later George and I rounded the bend to see dust in air and Danny's legs up in the air dropping to the ground. He was conscious and told me to take his helmet off and that the bike had fallen on him. Lucky for Danny Tahsi's father in law, a Dr. had decided to join us for the trip and was riding in the support vehicle. When we took Danny's shirt off we could tell immediately that his collar bone was broken. The Doc. had enough Ace bandage to wrap a figure 8 around his shoulders to pin the clavicle back. We were 135 Kms from a good hospital and had to make some quick decisions. Rakesh the driver rode Danny's beat up bike, the Doc drove the jeep with Danny in the front seat. 135 K on mountain rds in India, in a jeep truck with a Doc driving is a solid 4 hrs. drive. Along the way we stooped for tea, as we we are getting pretty tired and needed a break;Danny was in good spirits and being a real trooper! They got him to the Maxx Hospital in Dehra Dun where he was checked out and confirmed that he had a broken clavicle and a couple ribs! He is determined to continue the trip as planned, is visiting the Taj Mahal today with the rest of the group and will catch his flight out to the US tomorrow afternoon.
I'd like to say his gear did an awesome job of keeping injuries to a minimum. Take a look at his helmet! The right side of his Olympia jacket looked like it took a good lick on his arm and shoulder and still held together very well! ATGATT!

Attachments

• IMG_1013[1].JPG
    IMG_1013[1].JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1014[1].JPG
    IMG_1014[1].JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1015[2].JPG
    IMG_1015[2].JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the incident Danny. It was good you had caretakers all around you. I wish i could say I've never ridden while drowsy. I am thinking about your "stop and sleep" method for long rides.

Heal fast but don't rush.

danny, danny, danny, danny, danny..... thank goodness for that helmet and your gourd didn't look like that!

I show these things to people all the time "See, that's why I wear this"

Finally loaded a video. Here we are ascending Khardung La (Pass) 18,380 ft. from the South side of the range. The bikes were struggling to make power over the rough roads. Not as dramatic as the Zojil La, that vid. is 20 min. long and I need to edit it or stream line to load in decent amount of time. Hope you enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBL-3c3Usc

Back
Top Bottom