hot bike

Bike
2006 ST1300
Klaproth ,Can you tell us how you made your homemade wings to direct the air onto your legs in the summer? I'd like to try that next....
thanks
Here are a few pictures of my home made Air Wings. Mine are a bit longer than the commercially available ones, and use parts commonly available at the orange big box store. As with a lot of my experimental projects, these were just 'sposed to be a prototype, with the "real" ones made in glossy black plexi, but these worked well, and I have not gotten around to making new ones in black plastic.
I bent the plexi using a heat gun, set on low, did not take long. The lower mounting is the hole which normally takes a push clip, I switched it to a U-style clip nut, and socket head cap screw. I used a longer socket head cap screw to replace the normal one for the top mounting point.

Attachments

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I'm sure cat will respond to your request. I'll try to help.....
Yeah,, what Kev said,,,, sorry I did not notice the posting till just now. I have not needed to remove the front wheel for this purpose though. Just steer it out of the way when you need access. There are historical postings describing the process. Do a little searching,, on "inner cowl remove",,, and you should find it. They will cover the need to pin up the air temp sensor (normally mounted on the rh inner cowl), and to fix the LH and RH outer mid-cowls together (some use a zip tie or two). If I can be of any help in this,,, based on my experience,,, shoot me a pm,,, cheers,, CAt'

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I've tried a couple things, and they have had a little impact on being more comfortable while riding. I've basically just gotten farther from the heat. Both are things I've read about on the forum, and I know one is going to get some frowns, but... The Bead Rider cover helps. I saw that thing , and thought 'yeah, this is going to be a bead of nails' but I was surprised at the comfort after riding on it. Big plus in getting some air under me, as well as lifting me up a little. Now for the frowner. I angled my seat, setting the front to the highest setting, and leaving the back in the middle. It brought me up a little more, and now I don't feel that I am sliding forward toward the tank, but sitting more centered in the seat, with my knees and shins further from the engine. I don't feel like the seat was stressed to a point where it is going to get damaged, and I hope not because for me it's an improvement.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Did raising your seat at the front create an opening between the front edge of the seat and the tank, which could allow for hot air flow ?? There is a natural pocket of low pressure in front of the driver,, which will try to draw engine compartment air up. Just check by hand while riding, after the bike is fully warmed up and heat saturated (30+ minutes at highway). Glad you are making progress,,, CAt'

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
Did raising your seat at the front create an opening between the front edge of the seat and the tank, which could allow for hot air flow ?? There is a natural pocket of low pressure in front of the driver,, which will try to draw engine compartment air up. Just check by hand while riding, after the bike is fully warmed up and heat saturated (30+ minutes at highway). Glad you are making progress,,, CAt'
Hey Cat. I've only put maybe 40 miles of stop and go, but my shins and knees are further away from the bodywork, and the beaded pad has created some air flow beneath me. I did not notice an increase from the tank area, but the incline has changed with the new angle and I find myself further from the tank. That being said, there maybe more coming from that area, but my position has changed from where I felt the most heat- my legs. I am going to look at the possibility of a deflector for the air across the heads. Fun stuff to think about. I've worked many years in thermoforming with CNC machines and cad cam, and this is a fun application.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Check the top edge of your side panels after a few rides....tilting the seat often causes it to crack the side panels :rolleyes:
But don't worry, they are only $65 to $85 dollars each, and its only more money you'll be throwing at your bike.

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I have this setup and it helps a lot.
Home made wings out of plastic on 2 clips.
Piece of floor mat which absorbs the heat from the tank, while not getting hot, and piece of carton under tank where tank meets the seat (not seen from outside).
Seat in the middle position (I'm 5'6).
What a great idea! That is the area that drafts heat by the outside of your legs. I like it! Looks like it would move the draft further out. Nice job.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I have this setup and it helps a lot.
Home made wings out of plastic on 2 clips.
Piece of floor mat which absorbs the heat from the tank, while not getting hot, and piece of carton under tank where tank meets the seat (not seen from outside).
Seat in the middle position (I'm 5'6).
Good job of McGiyver.

Bike
2006 ST1300
It is the eternal question here why one ST is hotter than another. I keep my TB's balanced, removed the inner cowl, and have a TT FPR. That's it. I've even removed some of the factory rubber flaps.
I think a BIG variable is how big a windshield you have. If you have a large aftermarket shield (or OEM) and run it in a high setting it creates a vacuum behind it holding the heat in your lap.
I have a Calsci tinted shorty on my ST and it's always on the lowest setting. I like the airflow and it looks sporty. This keeps the air moving, allowing hot air out.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The first full season with my ST13,, I raked the oem windscreen back just enough to largely eliminate the low pressure zone. This was accomplished by opening up the gap at the lower front edge of the windscreen. This accelerates more air up the back of the screen, to more closely match the flow on the front of the screen. I got away from raking the screen when I switched to the Clearview GT medium. I keep the GT all the way down when in town,, and only raise 1-2" at highway. It has a bit more back pressure than the raked oem screen, but offers more wind protection. I left the oem lower air deflectors off as well,, to reduce turbulence, back pressure and drag. The relevance to this thread is that many factors can affect the air flow and heat around the rider. And paying attention to those details can make a real cumulative difference,, cheers,, CAt'

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
Tried riding with the windshield (OEM) in the lowest position, and you're right. Better air flow, less heat.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I had a new '03 model that I rode for 94,000 total miles and the last 84,000 miles with the inner cowls tossed under my work bench. Much cooler under the fairing and on my legs. Side panels didn't blow off at 135 (indicated) and valves still in spec. Cut my stock windshield down five inches and that also helped. I know that some think this is an insult to mother Honda but most bikes don't force all frontal air through the radiator and it isn't needed on the ST1300 either. Now I have been retired for thirty years and avoided city traffic at all cost, so how it works in hot stop and go , I haven't a clue.

Ed Wing

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I don't think I have a particularly hot ST13,,, but I decided to take my inner cowls out, shortly after getting the bike. Like many others,,, I never put them back in. Takes 20 minutes to do. Allows a ton of cooler air to dilute the hot air surrounding the engine. If you don't like the results,,, just put the inner cowls back in, which takes another whole 20 minutes. I have seen some fancy cutout efforts on the cowls,,, and even on the outer fairings, (gosh,, I could never cut my outer fairings). But I can guarantee that filling the inner cowls with holes and a few slots will never flow as much air around the rad, as simply taking the inner cowls out. Do the simple stuff first and see if you like results,,, if you don't, then put 'em back. Also,, for long legged pilots,,, realize that moving the seat up can open up a hot air channel that allows hot air to be sucked into the crotch zone (sing: "chestnuts roasting on an open fire") by the natural low pressure region between your torso and the dash. With my 30" inseam,,, I don't have this problem,,, but I have seen a tank to seat gap blocked up with piece of round foam pipe insulation. Again,,, easy to test and if you don't like the results,,, you are only out 10 minutes work and 99 cents worth of pipe foam. I ride locally with ankle boots and bare shins in the summer heat. So I don't believe that a hot bike can not be cured,,, cheers,, CAt'
Hi all. Just back from another mid 90s F ride. Mostly stop and go, I've taken the bike out a few times now, with the inners removed. There is a difference at higher speeds, but I have to admit I'm thinking 'There is a difference right?' So, I'm going to put them back in. I'm finding the most differences to be in the beaded seat cover. While I am contemplating balancing the throttle bodies as the next step, I have to ask a question about the mufflers. At a glance, my left Muffler seems to show more signs of heat than my right. Is that normal? Or could there be something to the tune with that? The bike seems to run fine (I think :cool:
I put the infrared thermometer on the black panels on each side of the tank by your knees when I got back and got a reading of about 135 degrees. Taking a reading on the engine itself by the heads right behind the fans, I get a reading of about 190-195

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hi all. Just back from another mid 90s F ride. Mostly stop and go, I've taken the bike out a few times now, with the inners removed. There is a difference at higher speeds, but I have to admit I'm thinking 'There is a difference right?' So, I'm going to put them back in. I'm finding the most differences to be in the beaded seat cover. While I am contemplating balancing the throttle bodies as the next step, I have to ask a question about the mufflers. At a glance, my left Muffler seems to show more signs of heat than my right. Is that normal? Or could there be something to the tune with that? The bike seems to run fine (I think :cool:
I put the infrared thermometer on the black panels on each side of the tank by your knees when I got back and got a reading of about 135 degrees. Taking a reading on the engine itself by the heads right behind the fans, I get a reading of about 190-195
In your temps, the tank panels should only get about 85 degrees, an engine in proper tune, with the valves correct will read 120-130 after a lot of stop and go traffic.

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
In your temps, the tank panels should only get about 85 degrees, an engine in proper tune, with the valves correct will read 120-130 after a lot of stop and go traffic.
Well my friend, I want to put the question of tune to bed. Thanks Larry.

I've only had my st1300 for 4 months. With temperatures lately in the high 70s the heat around my right ankle is almost unbearable at slow speeds or stationary, wearing ankle length boots. No problems noticed from tank.

It may be a coincidence but the only other symptom I have is a juddery throttle, particularly when the engine is hot.

2 questions:-

1. Have others experienced this excess heat around ankles, and

2. Is the throttle issue related? Bike booked in for new throttle cables next week.

Never had this heat issue with my Goldwing!

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Moses2
Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I've only had my st1300 for 4 months. With temperatures lately in the high 70s the heat around my right ankle is almost unbearable at slow speeds or stationary, wearing ankle length boots. No problems noticed from tank.

It may be a coincidence but the only other symptom I have is a juddery throttle, particularly when the engine is hot.

2 questions:-

1. Have others experienced this excess heat around ankles, and

2. Is the throttle issue related? Bike booked in for new throttle cables next week.

Never had this heat issue with my Goldwing!

Thanks

Paul
Hey Paul.
This is a great forum. There's a lot of personal experiences, and a wealth of knowledge. Ok, that being said, I've been trying some of the things others have recommended and found that when I removed the inner cowls, I upped the heat factor on my ankle/foot area. I put a bead rider on my seat which got some air around my groin/butt area which helped out with heat from around the tank area. Ride with the windshield in a lower position increases circulation in the riding area. I'm hoping to spend some time with Igofar and balance the throttle bodies. I have also installed a cooler plug. As I've found , your ambient temperature around the riding area can vary 20 degrees between riding stop and go, and long uninterrupted distance.

Hey Paul.
This is a great forum. There's a lot of personal experiences, and a wealth of knowledge. Ok, that being said, I've been trying some of the things others have recommended and found that when I removed the inner cowls, I upped the heat factor on my ankle/foot area. I put a bead rider on my seat which got some air around my groin/butt area which helped out with heat from around the tank area. Ride with the windshield in a lower position increases circulation in the riding area. I'm hoping to spend some time with Igofar and balance the throttle bodies. I have also installed a cooler plug. As I've found , your ambient temperature around the riding area can vary 20 degrees between riding stop and go, and long uninterrupted distance.
Thanks for your insight. Are you able to offer any thoughts on my specific questions?

Paul

Top Bottom