How did all the dealerships become so dishonest?

Avoid those shady dealerships, man. Look for smaller shops or private sellers. They'll give you a better deal without all the hidden fees and inflated prices.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is not just the bike/car dealerships that are doing this. Airlines, utility companies, etc are all doing the extra "fee" thing rather than just raising the base price. Remember when there was no charge for your luggage on a flight?
People wanted discounted ticket prices so the airlines started cramming as many seats into the plane as they could. They dropped the seat price, pared out meals, drinks, etc. People love it - this is flying a-la-carte. Sure folks grumble a bit, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Never mind about discomfort, being treated like animals, being forced to pay for what used to be free. Now that everyone is hooked, the airlines are reaping in record profits.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Avoid those shady dealerships, man. Look for smaller shops or private sellers. They'll give you a better deal without all the hidden fees and inflated prices.
That would be impossible in Tucson Arizona, as both Harley Davidson shops, the Indian dealership, both powersport shops, and the cycle/skis/and ATV’s, are owned by the guy who owns the Cadillac dealership.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I go looking for a vehicle, I already know exactly what I want.
I find it online at various dealerships and then make them my offer.
I don't really 'negotiate' at all - either they will do the deal at my price or we won't deal.
Since I have a specific 'vehicle' in mind (usually a dealership has a number assigned to them), there's not a lot of back and forth.
When they start talking about "Well, we've got to add this, do this. etc." my reply is simple -
"Don't care what you do, my out the door price is still the price - you have decide if you want it sell it today for that".
"If not, it's been a real pleasure talking with you." ;)

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
In Victoria (state), Australia, the sale (dealer & private) of cars and motorcycles is now pretty tightly regulated, and has been for 20 plus years. Dealers are required to display the sale price of the motor vehicle, this must include a Goods & Services Tax (GST) of 10%), but not compulsory additional charges of registration transfer fee (about $45) and Stamp Duty (another tax) of 4% of the sale price.

When a sale price is displayed, there will be a statement "excluding govt. charge", and then you can work these charge out, or the statement will be "drive away" (for a car) or "ride away" (for a motorcycle) as shown below.

I think all eight Australian states and territories have similar consumer protection. Probably easier with eight, than with 50 states.

1704353776504.png

Of course, this does not stop dealers from trying to add extras such as extended warranties, ceramic coating, tinted glass, rust protection, fabric protection, etc.. But hey, we're all too wise to be sucked into those extras, aren't we? That said there are plenty of gullible people out there.

When y'all coming to AUS, and buying a touring bike, there'll plenty of help for you to navigate the buying process.

Cheers ....

Bike
R1200rt
There might not be any hidden fees but they could be hiding other things. Best to have it checked out by a professional. I've seen too many times "just bought it, they said nothing wrong with it"

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They aren't all bad actually, I've had great experiences with some.

With my RT, I was going to buy at https://www.eurotek-okc.com/ but the bike I ended up wanting was in TX and I asked the about the TTL stuff because I'd have to visit DMV to get all the paperwork processed vs buying within TX.

They were open to cancelling the sale and instead processing it at their other location in TX where the bike was coming from anyway - https://www.woodlandspremiummotorcycles.com/

They gave me a stupid high trade-in on my Tracer 900 GT and a slight discount on a '21 model RT when the '22s were everywhere. Then, they trailered the new bike 230 miles to my home and picked up the Tracer.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
There have been a few stories in the local news lately about some dealerships, after price negotiations are complete, refusing payment by cash (cheque, MO, etc). Seems the dealer gets a cut from the financing company on the sale so they push that route to increase profit. Sheesh, cash is no longer king.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
There have been a few stories in the local news lately about some dealerships, after price negotiations are complete, refusing payment by cash (cheque, MO, etc). Seems the dealer gets a cut from the financing company on the sale so they push that route to increase profit. Sheesh, cash is no longer king.
On my last car they said they would reduce the price another $1,800 below my 'out the door' price if I would finance it.
I made sure there was no prepayment fee (just the first month's interest) so I saved another $1,800 for the cost of $60.
That kind of deal I like - plus it made the out of state paperwork a lot easier with no 'exchange of funds' at the time.
Just paid it off when I got my first 'payment' notice (including first month's interest of $60) and it was all good. :biggrin:

Not motorcycle related but gives you an idea of how corrupt the system is

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, what kind of fee are they getting to offer $1800? Guess finance co was screwed on that deal.
It was a Hyundai dealer and Hyundai Finance so it really didn't matter to me since the same 'head' turned both and as long as I got the benefit of the $1,800! :biggrin:
I did make sure I had a copy of the contract that stated clearly there was no prepayment penalty and only 1 months interest before I pull the trigger.
As one of our USA Presidents said 'Trust, but Verify!'. ;)

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Why? Because they can and most folks go along with the flow, discerning individuals are considered the minority and there are no regulations to curb it. Every now and then a good deal comes about. But folks like us don’t have the impact like before when money was valued more by the consumer. Damn frustrating

Bike
2007 ST1300
car dealer across us. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2022/11/ftc-returns-more-98-million-consumers-harmed-napleton-autos-junk-fees-discriminatory-practices

The funny thing about this is unknowing buyers were charged thousands of dollars in extras and are getting $147 back
I was one of those people who got money from them. Two checks that added up to a little more than $147.
The only junk fee they added on was paint protection for $150 that I didn't look for when I bought my Jeep from them. The bigger issue I had with them was there were two defects on the vehicle when I bought it that they said they would repair for free when the parts came in. I made sure to get that in writing. After a few months they hadn't contacted me so I called and they said they had no record of anything like that so I took my paperwork to another dealership where I know the service manager. He got hold of Jeep about the situation and in the end I got my stuff fixed and Napleton paid the other dealer to do it.

Bike
R1200rt
I was one of those people who got money from them. Two checks that added up to a little more than $147.
The only junk fee they added on was paint protection for $150 that I didn't look for when I bought my Jeep from them. The bigger issue I had with them was there were two defects on the vehicle when I bought it that they said they would repair for free when the parts came in. I made sure to get that in writing. After a few months they hadn't contacted me so I called and they said they had no record of anything like that so I took my paperwork to another dealership where I know the service manager. He got hold of Jeep about the situation and in the end I got my stuff fixed and Napleton paid the other dealer to do it.
A comon practice was to sell an extended warranty or they could not get financing. When we were told that I said I would get my own financing then suddenly it was ok.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think sometimes it boils down to the desperate times we are negotiating through.
There is often little respect for others and the rule seems to be 'Do unto others before they do unto you'. ;)
It seems a lot of current decisions are based on situational ethics instead of finite right and wrong.
If there is money to be made and more to be made dishonestly, dishonest seems to win out as the situation 'justifies'.
But now and then you happen upon an organization, company, business or person(s) that would rather take it in the shorts than be dishonest.
It is such a fresh breathe of air that we should sing those folks praises as much as we notify folks about the other side.
And a lot of those sort of good folks are right here on this board as I have encountered many of them personally.
And for that I thank you all!

A friend I worked with named Andy took a salesman for a test drive from their dealership. Drove to another dealership to look at the same car and let these salesman dicker to him at the same time. It worked for him but I was surprised that both did not tell him to go away and don't come back.

Top Bottom