How many balls is optimal for dash shelf?

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
How many RAM balls would you prefer on the dash shelf for the ST1300? Or should I just leave all 6 ball mounting locations for the user to decide?

What would you consider a fair price for a product like this?

Thanks!

Charlie
6A645867-D2C4-48C0-9104-9F572FE988B9.jpeg

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How many RAM balls would you prefer on the dash shelf for the ST1300? Or should I just leave all 6 ball mounting locations for the user to decide?

What would you consider a fair price for a product like this?

Thanks!

Charlie
6A645867-D2C4-48C0-9104-9F572FE988B9.jpeg

I go with Joe on making all 6 options available. Are these made from aluminum or plastic?

As for cost, I would go with seeing how much it costs you to make, then go from there as to how many you want to try to sell (profit on each).

There have been a few previous types made, hard to find at this point, but try to find out how much they went for.

Remember also, that the ST numbers are diminishing and might not be as popular today as three or four years ago.

Good luck with them.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Looks to be a good idea.
Also agree with Joe. Utilize all six as possible and leave it to the rider to choose how many he will employ.
Best of luck with your endeavor.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
6 is more than adequate. Maybe a solution that allows the customer to choose, and adopts the price accordingly.

My bike already has 2 balls that I'm not using (yet, one will take an aquabox for my phone, the other, I haven't decided).

As for cost, I would go with seeing how much it costs you to make, then go from there as to how many you want to try to sell (profit on each).
I agree.

I'd also add that I was looking at shelf options just this afternoon - put my name on the list, I'll happily purchase & add the shipping to the UK.

EDIT: I just checked estimated postage costs on the PSR website, I'm still happy to be added to the list of "pre-orders."

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I would also think providing 6 (or more!) threaded holes is better. I'd also think it would be good if there were two additional holes at approximately the red dots in this image:
Dash Shelf.JPG

I'd also suggest the huge 'PSR' logo be deleted off the shelf. Reasons: 1) It is 'too much', 2) that surface is better flat (you don't know what stick-on cable retainers the user may need to stick to the surface in places, or where someone may machine/drill through and mount something on their own), 3) the logo will fill with dirt/dust and water in rain, and 4) it adds cost to production.

If you must have your logo built into it, make the logo small and on the vertical face. Better yet, make it a small sticker or silk screened logo (on the vertical face).

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I like the idea I have a RBIS device that I have never mounted I think I like this much better. I do agree about the Logo it will collect water and dirt.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
8FFC5C39-5B01-43E4-A847-0675F771E11D.jpeg

Thank you for the quick feedback!

Added 2 more holes; reduced PSR logo.

It will be 3D printed ABS plastic.

It’s possible for users drilling their own holes, I could just print the shelf solid. However, it’s much easier with predrilled holes to screwed on the ram balls.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice.. and this basic design could probably be adapted to several other motorcycles to increase your market niche...

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400

It’s possible for users drilling their own holes, I could just print the shelf solid. However, it’s much easier with predrilled holes to screwed on the ram balls.
Very nice. I agree, the predrilled holes are the way to go.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST 1300

Add me to the list of pre orders. Have you come up wit a cost yet?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
I think it's a smart idea to have all 6 as possible mounting options.
I agree with mounting options. Mounting left/right/center won't be the same for everybody.

If this is to be a printed item though will there be enough inherent strength with a bunch of holes drilled?

Optimally I'd not use more than one ball given the potential damage to the tabs. Maybe including some 3M heavy duty double side tape would relieve some stress on the tabs. Otherwise resisting the temptation to put too much weight on the shelf could be a problem.

But I like the idea of the shelf. It could be sold/utilized without a RAM ball(s) but with mounting holes if some other method of anchoring a flat item could be provided.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got an RBIS with one RAM ball that I use from time to time. Although cool product:

it requires an RAM arm
It hangs the object out beyond the dash
It's not a shelf
it's weight sensitive potentially stressing the tabs beneath the dash
it can impose clearance problems
It's functional but not elegant
its configuration is pretty much locked in once installed

On balance:

it's metal and sturdy
it's very cost effective

For me to give that up a new and improved version would have to address the above considerations.

How much would I actually be willing to pay? That's very hard to say at the moment. The Migsel is $150. It appears to be metal and that's a huge + for me. I felt the under mirror brackets to be a little pricey for my taste still ingenious though. I'd be hard pressed to be willing to pay anywhere near $100 for a printed item. 'Fair' and what the market is willing to bear are usually to very different things.

And true- where the ST is concerned losing a little money on a shelf won't be made up with volume.

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I really don't have any input as to the number of holes this thing should have but I would plug all of the holes with some Christmas trees when the unit ships. It wouldn't add much cost to the unit price and would make it look a lot better on the bike.

Personally I would rather drill and tap my own holes where I wanted them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
FrogmanDave said:
but I would plug all of the holes with some Christmas trees when the unit ships.
DAMMIT! I was thinking that the unused holes especially in the horizontal plane would be great for some LEDs for the indicators or rear LED flashers or switched powered farkle or whatever. DAMMIT!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
DAMMIT! I was thinking that the unused holes especially in the horizontal plane would be great for some LEDs for the indicators or rear LED flashers or switched powered farkle or whatever. DAMMIT!
LEDs are a good idea. Way to be.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Update: 8 hole locations, smaller PSR logo, flat surface mounting & ABS material allows drilling more holes if desired.

Dash shelf installs solidly and securely via provided two U-clip/nut and stainless screws via the existing 2 mounting holes on the top of the dash.

How's $79.95 MSRP with lifetime warranty. RAM balls not included. Maybe a pre-order special of $59.95 with free shipping within 50 US States?

thanks!

Charlie

IMG_6892.jpgIMG_6890.jpgIMG_6894.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom