How many balls is optimal for dash shelf?

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Printed in red to have better visual.

Enlarged the shelf thicker, longer and wider in the black samples.

Going to reintroduce the under-dash ‘clip’ to further secure the shelf to the dash to minimize bouncing on road bumps. And more integrated look with the dash.

3A54BDBC-2B95-48BC-A8B0-219B9346CCEA.jpegB454F1EC-1E36-4201-89C6-80FF7AACC0EE.jpeg7AF68130-1773-4647-9B46-46E1F94835AB.jpeg

Reactions: T_C

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SoCalST8 – I don't know if you're still in the R&D/prototype stage or not but FWIW here are my observations of your two examples:

A vertically oriented RAM ball as with the orange dash limits the range of motion of the RAM arm and can impede the height adjustment of the windshield at the low end. Mounting the RAM ball farther back further restricts lowering the windshield.

The dash's plinth seems a bit tall and adds to the above problem. On a purely aesthetic and equally purely subjective note the curve of the front of the dash seems out of place but that may just be me. Like I said – subjective.

The horizontal orientation of the RAM ball gives a much greater range of adjustment without interfering with the windshield at all. One RAM ball centrally located would work for me and help me avoid the temptation to hang too much off the dash. It would also allow a device to be placed on the dash such as a radar detector or — a bespoke holder for LEDs to be configured and connected as desired by the customer. Drilling the leading edge of the dash would also do something similar if not as convenient.

Whether it's just the angle of the pic or not I can't say but the leading edge of the dash looks odd compared third-party the edge of the dash. Eye level pics might be helpful.

On another aesthetic note – can this ABS be sanded smooth? This would be an end user tweak but I don't care for the somewhat unfinished look of 3D printed media.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Appreciate the observations.

The locations and orientations of the balls are for the users to determine what suits their needs, preferences and the devices they intend to mount.

In turn, users would have to take into consideration any possible clearance and or interference issues. I’ll try to post pictures with devices mounted and windshield clearances.

The shelf faces should be almost horizontal and perpendicularly to ground. Will post better viewing angle pictures later.

Rough / irregular surface finish is part of the 3D printing process. On YouTube, there’s the “vapor sauna” process using paint thinner to smooth out ABS materials. I haven’t had the chance to try it and might add additional cost overruns to the selling price if I were to add additional process.

SoCalST8 – I don't know if you're still in the R&D/prototype stage or not but FWIW here are my observations of your two examples:

A vertically oriented RAM ball as with the orange dash limits the range of motion of the RAM arm and can impede the height adjustment of the windshield at the low end. Mounting the RAM ball farther back further restricts lowering the windshield.

The dash's plinth seems a bit tall and adds to the above problem. On a purely aesthetic and equally purely subjective note the curve of the front of the dash seems out of place but that may just be me. Like I said – subjective.

The horizontal orientation of the RAM ball gives a much greater range of adjustment without interfering with the windshield at all. One RAM ball centrally located would work for me and help me avoid the temptation to hang too much off the dash. It would also allow a device to be placed on the dash such as a radar detector or — a bespoke holder for LEDs to be configured and connected as desired by the customer. Drilling the leading edge of the dash would also do something similar if not as convenient.

Whether it's just the angle of the pic or not I can't say but the leading edge of the dash looks odd compared third-party the edge of the dash. Eye level pics might be helpful.

On another aesthetic note – can this ABS be sanded smooth? This would be an end user tweak but I don't care for the somewhat unfinished look of 3D printed media.

Bike
2010 ST1300
One of the things I learned long ago when trying to design something, was to not solicit ideas/input from people who had no stake in the game. Unless they were part of a design team, ideas get thrown out and you never get beyond that point. That said, since Bob weighed in, I'll give you my two cents.

I have the original bent aluminum bar with 3 ram balls mounted on top of my dash where your shelf goes. It came with the bike and was, I believe, out of production when I bought the bike. The position of the balls never interfered with raising and lowering the windshield, though I had to be careful where my GPS or phone holder was positioned and how the ram clamp arms were oriented. You can address Bob's concerns by making a prototype or 12 and playing around with the ball's location.

Assuming the plastic is strong enough for the purpose (I expressed this concern in an earlier post) my only other comments are concerning esthetics. I'd like to see the trailing edge (what is closest to the rider) curved to mimic the shape of the dash. Your holes' locations are fine, you cannot foresee every item people will mount and they will adapt. I do not like the ribs on the top surface of the mount - it will collect and hold dirt. I would prefer some pattern that is easily cleaned (diamond plate bumps, perhaps) but would readily accept adhesive velcro if the buyer chose to mount something on top.

I like the pocket under the shelf for wiring - great idea.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Final production sample:
Printed in red for better visualization. Production black units should look much integrated and not so much in your face.

E6F4DACB-2435-4E3B-A74C-B29154D31E79.jpeg

The RAM ball mounting holes will have to be predrilled and threads tapped. Vertical holes are through holes to eliminate any dirt/water accumulating. Drilling additional holes on the dash shelf is not recommended.

Reintroduced the ‘clip’ underneath so the dash shelf is attached to the dash securely and minimize attached devices from vibrating too much.

Ideally I would mount no more than 2 devices to the dash shelf to avoid interference viewing stock gauges.

Will create a separate post for ordering soon.

Thanks to everyone’s observations and suggestions.

Charlie
E87712EC-8A9A-42FF-AB6C-F07D1D523663.jpeg5471D404-19E5-4031-8CE7-51406C613274.jpegE11D0A1B-F996-4A1E-B01D-5B53F69942CB.jpeg97E3E894-C6D1-4C9B-A290-A61BA3ABDDFF.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
As an observation based on the above pictures it looks like it would obstruct visibility of the turn signal indicator lamps even without any device mounted.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Thanks. The picture angle does show indicator lamps blocked. However, in actual riding, turn signal indicator lamps are visible without any device mounted from a 5' 9" test rider at the highest seat height.

As an observation based on the above pictures it looks like it would obstruct visibility of the turn signal indicator lamps even without any device mounted.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The 'extra' holes in the edge of the dash on either side of the central RAM ball would make a great place for two LEDs for the ACL Laser Turn Signal Reminder Thingy!!! farkle. And it means not drilling any holes in the dash. Well maybe one to get the leads to power but that would be hidden by the dash. Or it might be possible to run them between the two pieces of the dash.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
They are already obstructed for many of us...
a 5' 9" test rider
Ohh.. okay.. maybe you can see them. Add 6 or 7 inches... they ain't so visible.

The 'extra' holes in the edge of the dash on either side of the central RAM ball would make a great place for two LEDs for the ACL Laser Turn Signal Reminder Thingy!!! farkle.
We think alike.... post #37

Maybe SoCal can add them as an option, not tap the holes 1/4-20, just silicone some LED holders in there, that's why I asked about the shelf being hollow.

This type of functionality might get me to buy. One ball middle is fine for the GPS when I do long rides, but I already have that on a curved aluminum plate. But another set of LED's for turn signals (already have mirror mounted ones) and maybe a place for voltmeter is something I can use for everyday rides.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
But another set of LED's for turn signals (already have mirror mounted ones) and maybe a place for voltmeter is something I can use for everyday rides.
So, you want them on the dash, the mirrors and now the shelf? ;)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
So, you want them on the dash, the mirrors and now the shelf? ;)
You can have the ones on the dash... of no use to me, in a visual dead zone unless I'm working on the bike. Shelf, mirrors, yep! I've told myself for years I would put some LED's into the trailing edge of the dash but never found my round tuit. With a new farkle like a spiffy shelf... it might get around. (Post hand surgery, will have plenty of think and planning time while recovering.)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You can have the ones on the dash... of no use to me, in a visual dead zone unless I'm working on the bike. Shelf, mirrors, yep! I've told myself for years I would put some LED's into the trailing edge of the dash but never found my round tuit. With a new farkle like a spiffy shelf... it might get around. (Post hand surgery, will have plenty of think and planning time while recovering.)
The ones on the dash of my ST1100 aren't too bad... I always seem to notice them if I forget to cancel. My brother also has the dash, mirror and trailing edge LEDs, and he likes having the extras.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Loaded the dash shelf this morning.

Since the dash shelf is securely attached/clipped on to the dash, the attached devices basically shakes and vibrates the SAME as the windshield or maybe a little less when encountering road irregularities.

Another comparison would be no difference vibration-wise between mounted devices on the dash shelf or on RAM balls attached to the handlebars,
CFBD7119-DDB0-4043-815C-EB07288868C1.jpeg

Top Bottom