How many balls is optimal for dash shelf?

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
front view of the dash shelf.

On the front side it conforms to the curvature of the dash and the extruded countersunk mounting posts are perpendicular to the dash mounting holes when installed.

also, will only pre-drill out the 3 front facing holes and 1 top center holes. the rest of the holes will have a shallow outline for the users to drill them if desired. this is to minimize the exposed upward facing unused holes from accumulating dirt down the road.

IMG_6903sm.jpgIMG_6905sm.jpg

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
front view of the dash shelf.

On the front side it conforms to the curvature of the dash and the extruded countersunk mounting posts are perpendicular to the dash mounting holes when installed.

also, will only pre-drill out the 3 front facing holes and 1 top center holes. the rest of the holes will have a shallow outline for the users to drill them if desired. this is to minimize the exposed upward facing unused holes from accumulating dirt down the
Will the ram ball mount holes be through holes for a male ball and nut or female ball and bolt, or threaded partial holes for a male ball?

Byron

STOC #
With as many mounting options, how is it mounted to the bike? How much weight will it take before deforming or one of more of the mounting holes failing? Don't get me wrong I like the idea, I just want it to be as stout as possible.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Mounts with the 2 provided u-clip/nut and screws utilizing the 2 existing mounting holes on the top of the dash.
You’d remove the windshield, remove 4 screws, pop off 6 side and 2 top plastic rivets to remove the cover and to insert the u-clips.

Load-wise, the shelf and oem dash structure can withstand a good amount of mass and felt very sturdy. However, for liability disclaimer, i would prefer to state no more than total combined weight of 1 3/4lb (RAM arms plus devices) be attached to the shelf

With as many mounting options, how is it mounted to the bike? How much weight will it take before deforming or one of more of the mounting holes failing? Don't get me wrong I like the idea, I just want it to be as stout as possible.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
How's $79.95 MSRP with lifetime warranty. RAM balls not included. Maybe a pre-order special of $59.95 with free shipping within 50 US States?
I'm happy with those prices tbh.

My only remaining concern is drain holes - it's not unusual that I'm riding through clouds and/or heavy rain/spray from vehicles in front. But as that's a fairly unique issue to me, I'd happily pop some drain holes in myself.

Just looked on your website, and I can't see a way to work out international shipping... Any ideas? For info too, I'd like to add a set of the st1300 over mirror strobe mounts to the box, so shipping cost would likely increase due to extra weight.

Any ideas on international shipping?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SoCalST8 said:
Mounts with the 2 provided u-clip/nut and screws utilizing the 2 existing mounting holes on the top of the dash.
This is the limitation of the mounting scheme for any of these shelves. If the two screws are tightened too much the tabs can be snapped and bracket is done.

Similarly I'd expect too much weight attached to the shelf If not directly above the mounting point of the screws (and ball?) combined with rough rode might also snap the tabs. So some reason needs to be used. A lot of GPS units are pretty light and would have little affect on the mounting.

The tabs could be shored up by placing spacers inside the dash between the tabs and dash. Possibly some 3M double sided tape could be used underneath the length of the shelf to add some support. I don't know what it would take to remove the shelf and tape without damaging the dash if the time came.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Great question regarding water pooling in the unused mounting holes.

We are planning only to predrill the 3 front facing and 1 top center holes. The rest of the holes would have a shallow outline where users can drill if desired. This is to minimize unused holes from accumulating dirt and water.

The shelf is made from ABS plastic, water should not have any detrimental effect on it.

We charge actual postage on international orders. You should be able to go through the check out process for it the calculate the freight without actually finalizing and paying for the order. Or PM me please.

I'm happy with those prices tbh.

My only remaining concern is drain holes - it's not unusual that I'm riding through clouds and/or heavy rain/spray from vehicles in front. But as that's a fairly unique issue to me, I'd happily pop some drain holes in myself.

Just looked on your website, and I can't see a way to work out international shipping... Any ideas? For info too, I'd like to add a set of the st1300 over mirror strobe mounts to the box, so shipping cost would likely increase due to extra weight.

Any ideas on international shipping?

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder about long term strength of this unit (I also cannot tell if it is solid, hollow or how thick it is). My Zumo 590 on a short RAM ball arm extends from the old aluminum bar bent to conform to the 1300 curved dash and anchored using the same two top of dash screws you talk about. When I ride and hit a bump the Zumo bounces a bit. Over time, will your shelf crack? Give me metal every time over plastic. OTOH, I'm not in the market for a dash shelf. I'm making one for my V Strom out of 1/8" aluminum plate.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
We have had excellent results with our other 3D printed ABS products for the ST1300 & ST1100. Namely the auxiliary light brackets. They have been thru hot and cold weathers at various velocities installed with good size LED head units with NO ISSUES. We will offer the same lifetime replacement warranty on the dash shelves.

I wonder about long term strength of this unit (I also cannot tell if it is solid, hollow or how thick it is). My Zumo 590 on a short RAM ball arm extends from the old aluminum bar bent to conform to the 1300 curved dash and anchored using the same two top of dash screws you talk about. When I ride and hit a bump the Zumo bounces a bit. Over time, will your shelf crack? Give me metal every time over plastic. OTOH, I'm not in the market for a dash shelf. I'm making one for my V Strom out of 1/8" aluminum plate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
It’s for the ST1300 only. Still going through revisions on the dash shelf, hope to be ready in a few weeks. Will make a separate announcement post when the time comes.

Due to very weak demands from the ST1100 owners we will not develop any new products for it.

Thx

Charlie

Is the shelf made for the 1100 or the 1300? What is the price? Availabiliy?

Thanks

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
How's $79.95 MSRP with lifetime warranty. RAM balls not included. Maybe a pre-order special of $59.95 with free shipping within 50 US States?
That's a good price... may have to reconsider my opinion on picking one up. but then again.. I already have an aluminum plate bent to the contour of the top dash and has a ram ball on it for my GPS.

Hmm... maybe add/inset two LED's to the front of the shelf for turn signal reminders?? Spot for a 1/2" tall led voltage meter to hang below???

Possibly some 3M double sided tape could be used underneath the length of the shelf to add some support. I don't know what it would take to remove the shelf and tape without damaging the dash if the time came.
Good use for the 3M Dual Lock tape, if you are so inclined.

OP
OP
SoCalST8

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
We took the dash apart and took a closer look at the top mounting posts/tabs to evaluate their strength.

In stock form, the upper dash cover sits directly on the 2 mounting posts. With our U-Clips installed on the mounting posts, the top dash cover and the dash shelf installed with 2 bolts screwed into the two mounting posts, the whole assembly felt very solid and negates the concern for the mounting posts/tab to fail.

In another word, the dash shelf and top dash cover would have to be ripped off the bike in order to cause the posts to be ripped off. Otherwise there's no place for the mounting posts to be ripped off from their 'sandwiched' position within the dash assembly.

With above observation, will still load up the dash shelf with all my balls (RAM balls) and put some miles on.

thanks,

Charlie

This is the limitation of the mounting scheme for any of these shelves. If the two screws are tightened too much the tabs can be snapped and bracket is done.

Similarly I'd expect too much weight attached to the shelf If not directly above the mounting point of the screws (and ball?) combined with rough rode might also snap the tabs. So some reason needs to be used. A lot of GPS units are pretty light and would have little affect on the mounting.

The tabs could be shored up by placing spacers inside the dash between the tabs and dash. Possibly some 3M double sided tape could be used underneath the length of the shelf to add some support. I don't know what it would take to remove the shelf and tape without damaging the dash if the time came.

Last edited:
Top Bottom