I hoped never to post here.

FOG

Wow, I don?t know where to start. Kevin, our eldest son was fatally injured in a Motorcycle accident 9/26, on the interstate. He was pronounced dead at the scene. According to the Trooper and the information he got from witnesses, he was changing lanes when he lost control. It had just started to rain hard when the accident occurred. According to the trooper, speed was not a factor, and there was no involvement with another vehicle.

I have meet a few on this board and some are aware of this news, but before the grape vine took off, I thought I would post.

I will thank everyone in advance for their kindness and concern.

I hope you will indulge me in expressing my thoughts.

I truly believe that funerals should not be about the passing of the person, but a celebration of their life. So I was in charge of searching through the thousands of pictures, including the old slides, to make a digital slide show of his life, to show at the calling hours and services. We ended up with a couple of boards with snapshots attached, and three flat screens scrolling over 350 photos of his life.

It was hard at first, but as I began to find more and more pictures of his life, good memories flooded in to reinforced my belief that it is all about the life, not the passing. I truly believe Kevin lived a good one. As a family we traveled frequently taking annual and numerous other vacations. Kevin, his two brothers and the wife I spent a month traveling the Rockies in the ?94. We had traveled all over the east coast and Canada numerous times. As a family we skied and motorcycled, we even took the entire family to the Alps to ride in 2004 for two weeks. I reflected and realized that even though he was with us a short time, we squeezed out more than many would in several life times. No, we were not wealthy, but we were frugal and rather than spend money on the material goods, invested in the family. The wife and I both agree, particularly in retrospect, that this was one of the best decisions we made in our lives.

Those here know the dangers of riding, in fact a few times when others have expressed concern about letting other family members take up this sport, I was always an advocate. In spite of living through what people fear most, I still am. I will say it again, motorcycling was, and still is, one of the threads that bind the fabric of our family. I truly believe that in spite of the recent events, I still am ahead.

Kevin was the eldest, and as children inevitably do, set out to start his own life. Many times contact with the family diminishes greatly, as they forge their own life and pick their way through life, and although this was the case at times, we stayed close because of our shared affection for riding. Kevin had his motorcycle license before his car license, and always loved riding. In his adult life we took numerous day and weekend trips, did several track days together, shared the social aspect of riding with a bunch of people from the area, and of course took our last ?Family Vacation? when we all went to Europe to ride in 2004. None of this would have happened without the shared interest in two wheels.

At the funeral we had a line out the door for three hours straight, and standing room only at the service, so we have lots of support. We didn?t want to deal with a big gathering after the burial, so we delayed it and kept that to immediate family and his best friends from school. At the suggestion of his ex-wife, and in total agreement with us, his brothers, and his current companion, we all went to a real Irish pub, tipped a few Guinness?s, reminisced his life, learned more details from his HS buddies, of the escapades during his HS days. We all had a great time, and all know that is just what he would have wanted, and where he would be, if the shoe was on the other foot. My wife even commented to the youngest boy?s today, that when her time comes, we need to find a great pub, and repeat the event.

I am sure as we start to slow down, it will hit us, it is inevitable, but we still have a very close family and two young children that we need to help raise. Again I take solace in the fact that we had lots of good times, while at the same time feeling sorry for those that were fairly new in his life, as they have lost their chance to do the same.

I truly appreciate, and thank everyone for your concern. Family and friends have, and will continue to, help us work through this. My best advice is to keep those important relationships close, you never know when you might not get a chance to do so in the future.

Thanks again.
Richard & Cecilia

Most did not know him, but here is a view into his life.

Guess he came by it naturally.

Good times traveling and growing.

The Europe trip.

Having fun

Being responsible.

His Legacy, for those left behind to give them the best life possible.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Aww man...

My sincere condolences to you and your entire family..
While agree about a funeral being a celebration of life, until it hits, it takes true courage to carry it out in reality..

My thoughts are with you and yours...

Very very touching and heart wrenching photos..
My I share a road with him someday..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very sorry to hear this Richard. You and your family are in our prayers. Words just seem so empty at times like this.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Very Sorry to hear of your loss Richard & Cecilia, and to all the rest of the family. I too like the idea of the celebration, we can ask for no more!

May He Rest In Peace...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Richard,
I am so sorry to hear this news.
My condolences to you, his family and his friends.
Rod

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
FOG,

You're a stronger man than me...I would never have been able to write what you said in your post. My prayers go out to you, your wife, Kevin's wife and children, and the rest of your family.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Richard,

There isn't much I can say other than express my sadness over your terrible loss.
Your tribute to your son is beautiful, and your strength of spirit is truly inspiring. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Patty

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Richard & Cecilia,

All I can offer you is my prayers and condolences for your tragic loss. Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures with us. You will always have the great memories of those family times that you can cherish.

God speed Kevin...

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So so sorry, my thoughts are with you and yours....

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I came across this a little while back and it seems like a good time to share it. Not only with you Richard and Cecelia, but with all those who have lost love ones recently.
It is entitled "Ascension" by Colleen Hitchcock

Ascension

And if I go,
while you're still here....
Know that I live on,
vibrating to a different measure,
- behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
You will not see me,
so you must have faith.
I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
- both aware of each other.
Until then, live your life to its fullest.
And when you need me,
Just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.

Rod

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I am so sorry for your loss. Never having any children, I can't imagine the pain you are going through, and will go through. Find peace in the memories and times you spent together, you will always have those.
I saw your picture of the boys taken at Hyner View. I was there this past Sunday, and will remember him the next time I'm there.

George

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Youse guys are strong, as you should be right now. Very sorry for you loss but good for you in enjoying the positives. It still amazes me how much good can come so early in life.

As most here already know, STOC founder Derek Catt also passed way too soon. We still miss our boy as well. You will never get over that.

Condolences,

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
FOG, I am a man of many words but your post leaves me with none. Godspeed Kevin. My most sincere and heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. My Dad, who presided over hundreds of funerals over the years, said he always tried to put the FUN in FUNeral for just the reasons you mention in your post. Celebrate life as you never know when it will end. I am so sorry. :-(

STOC #
Very sorry for your loss, but glad you seem to putting things into a perspective that your son would probably totally agree with.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Godspeed Kevin.
We pray for you and your family Richard.
This hit me like a ton of bricks from your PM a few days ago.
Loosing a child is a terrible thing to go through.
I'm glad you focus on the positive and will into the future.
My words can't express.
Dave Hunter

Top Bottom