OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Re: I went and did it....

Well, after about 1100 miles now on the Beemer, I can give a little feedback about my impressions of the 1600GT vs. the ST1300. I can honestly say I do not regret trading off the ST for this bike. The Beemer feels lighter in the twisties than the ST. At 160 H.P. the power is incredible. The stock seat is more comfortable (in my opinion) than the ST. The seating position/handle bars is very comparible and the sound of the pipes is awsome (not too loud, but not too quite).
Yes, it is alot of money, but there is NO farkles that I need to buy afterwards. It has heated seat, GPS, tire pressure monitor, radio w/XM and ipod USB connection, varible engine mapping control, electronic on-the-fly suspension adjustment and electronic cruise control to name just a few items.
Would I do it again.....absolutely. Besides, I want to be just like Booger. He is my mentor.......:D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Jeff, had you had any night-time riding with it? I'm curious how well the adaptive headlight works.

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT

Mellow, I have not had the night time riding experience yet. But I am looking forward to the experience of the adaptive headlight. I heard it was great.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Glad you're liking the bike. A good friend is really wanting one to replace his aging GS. I love the headlight, such an ingenious fix for a common issue.

WOW...I am mentor :wave1: I've been a SOB & a FM & few other things but never a mentor. More Grey Poupon on order. It's a great bike and you hit the nail on the head.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Actually, I heard that Moon Motorsports in Monticello had one there before hand, so I went there and looked at it, sat on it and decided to buy it. They took my ST 1300 in on trade for it. I guess it was kind of unusual that they had it in stock, since you have to typically order one and wait for 6 months to get it. Look around. Someone may have another one in stock. Good luck!
I wonder if it is the bike that RichR ordered. I know that he ordered one and had a delivery date around when you found that one at the dealer but cancelled the order. It may have already been in the works and shipped. I don't know for sure if that is where he placed the order but it would make sense if it was.

Congrats on the ride.

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT

WOW...I am mentor :wave1: I've been a SOB & a FM & few other things but never a mentor. More Grey Poupon on order. It's a great bike and you hit the nail on the head.
That's right Booger. I don't care what Dinkie says about you, your ok! Them guys dont know what there missin;)

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

Jeff and Merry - It was great to talk to you today. Sure hope we can do this again. Nice ride, Jeff. Merry's is nice also and oh so quite.

When you went by I knew it was Merry, but I tought she got a new man, as I missed this thread. Hope it continues to give you the same smiles as you had today - tomorrow.

Kevin

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT

Jeff and Merry - It was great to talk to you today. Sure hope we can do this again. Nice ride, Jeff. Merry's is nice also and oh so quite.

When you went by I knew it was Merry, but I tought she got a new man, as I missed this thread. Hope it continues to give you the same smiles as you had today - tomorrow.

Kevin
Kevin,

Nice seeing you and some of the group again. We will have to get together again sometime and do a little riding nextime. Hope you brother has good luck healing up and finding another ride.

Just curious, how did you know that was Merry riding by? Maybe it was the "chrome" hair?

Bike
BMW R1200GS
STOC #

I'm gonna have to change the name of the site.. LOL

Congrats, and excellent ride I'm sure.
Joe, the thought crossed my mind also, especially since Honda is no longer making the ST. I too have also made the jump to the K16 but will always favor this site.

Don

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

When I was considering the ST my friend said to me, How many new bikes will you have in your life time? So I got the ST. After I get it he said, I always felt sorry for you on that NIghthawk and long trips. I had fun. RIde hard while you can!
Ron

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT

Just checking in to see how the first summer went with the new bike. I'm still considering a switch to a GT.
To be honest, I really love the GT. I have put over 14,000 miles on it last year, so it is well broken in now. Had a few minor issues with it so far, but nothing to be sorry for buying it for. In my opinion, it is a lot like the ST 1300 as far as riding position and handling, but is a little faster and sounds awesome going through the gears. Very powerful and sometimes you forget to downshift when slowing down to go through towns. The downside is: Dealer network sucks and the price is pretty steep. Good luck in making the choice between the ST an GT. Both are awesome machines in my book. Oh by the way, BMW stands for BRING MORE WALLET:)

Bike
BMW K1600GT
Congrats on the ride, Jeff. I'm sporting the Vermillion Red version and am head over heels in love with it.

I saw one at the local BMW dealer two weeks ago. Gorgeous bike, fully loaded. Dealer said "Give me $26,000.00 and she's yours!" :D Let's see: we return cans and plastic pop bottles here in MI to get the $.10 deposit. How many cans would that take? 260,000! Just turned in a case of 24 empties. 259,976 more and that Beemer's mine!

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I think many of the issues that plagued the K1300GT are gone with this model. So far at 10K, I have not had one issue. Expense wise, really not too much above the ST1300 I had. 6K service is 250.00, the 18K service is $800.00 (valve adjustment) You can save plenty by doing the fluid changes yourself. My additions are complete (aux lighting, crash bars, aux fuse panel). I even kept the stock seat, but added the airhawk for when I need it. I really think most issues where centered around cluster switches and waterpump failure. Also there are used models popping up out there at a real bargin. I plan to keep this one until the next best thing replaces it, until then it's "giddy up" on the GT.

Top Bottom