Igofar Reviews

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
So what's the right amount of Ride-On to use? Saw that their 'for scooter use' is cheaper at Walmart for 16oz than Amazon had for 8oz but says only good to 60mph. So maybe not applicable to our use? Tried looking up why it would have a 60mph limit but so far haven't found anything definitive. Also one bullet statement says a bike may take 2-3 8oz bottles, but the theory on why it's only recommended to use to 60mph is because the 8oz's weighs too much at higher speeds, so that amount wouldn't make sense (and matches your description of the tumbler experiment above)

Always a challenge finding believable and trustworthy information!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What I discovered, was that using too much ride on inside the tire (re-applied) created a small wave that rolled around the inside of the tire, that was actually washing out the applied stuff that was supposed to be clinging to the tire. The weight of the re-applied stuff kept washing over the thin layer like a small wave lapping at the edge of of the beach. This is probably why they have the correct amounts listed on the bottles, for the correct tire size(s).
:WCP1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
So what's the right amount of Ride-On to use? Saw that their 'for scooter use' is cheaper at Walmart for 16oz than Amazon had for 8oz but says only good to 60mph. So maybe not applicable to our use? Tried looking up why it would have a 60mph limit but so far haven't found anything definitive. Also one bullet statement says a bike may take 2-3 8oz bottles, but the theory on why it's only recommended to use to 60mph is because the 8oz's weighs too much at higher speeds, so that amount wouldn't make sense (and matches your description of the tumbler experiment above)

I you sure you were looking at Ride-On at Walmart, and not Slime (different products)?
I've never seen it sold at places like Walmart before.

Bike
VStrom 650

Like Larry says, you get the correct levels to install when you receive the product. But if you want to know before buying, which is kind of handy, then the charts are online.
Upt'North.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I may be misremembering but I thought RideOn did not stick to the tire and would pool at the bottom when the tire stopped rotating. This would cause a imbalanced feeling for a short while when you started riding but would soon go away once it was redistributed around the tire. This was one of its "selling" features. ie. would redistribute as tires wore to keep them in balance.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
All in all, a very interesting and informative post. However, this has left me wondering what Larry did to his dog that the dog felt the need to lock him out of the house?

Hilarious.
Maybe the dog is doing the reverse of the "lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and see who is glad to see you when you open it".:)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I may be misremembering but I thought RideOn did not stick to the tire and would pool at the bottom when the tire stopped rotating. This would cause a imbalanced feeling for a short while when you started riding but would soon go away once it was redistributed around the tire. This was one of its "selling" features. ie. would redistribute as tires wore to keep them in balance.
No, they state that you will feel the imbalanced feeling for a short while while the product is coating the inside of the tire.
It does not settle at the bottom of the tire, then redistribute each time.
What you quote as the "selling" feature, is as the tire wears, the thin coating that clings to the tire, can/does move around just enough to keep the tire balanced by centrifugal force.
If you ever open up a tire with Ride-on inside of it, you'll find a 1/8 inch deep strip coating the center of the tire. You can wipe your finger through it and remove it easily, as it just wipes away.
This is why tire changers don't mind the Ride-on, but HATE folks who put slime in their tires ;)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
All in all, a very interesting and informative post. However, this has left me wondering what Larry did to his dog that the dog felt the need to lock him out of the house?

Hilarious.
My inner garage door has a decorative handle (think lever), and just above it is the dead bolt latch.
When the dog wants to come out in the garage, she knows to use her paw to pull the lever down to open the door.
Only problem is, sometimes she reaches too high, and throws the dead bolt, and locks me out of the house.
This usually happens around midnight, when I'm taking the trash out barefoot, in the dark, and forgot to pick up my house keys.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have done several tires that have RideOn installed. What I found was that it only ran in about an inch wide strip in the center of the tire. That, combined with it failing to prevent some flats that it should have, led me to quit using it. I realize that RideOn is not unlike balance beads, oil, etc when it comes to proponents and naysayers.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My inner garage door has a decorative handle (think lever), and just about it is the dead bolt latch.
When the dog wants to come out in the garage, she knows to use her paw to pull the lever down to open the door.
Only problem is, sometimes she reaches too high, and throws the dead bolt, and locks me out of the house.
This usually happens around midnight, when I'm taking the trash out barefoot, in the dark, and forgot to pick up my house keys.
1663348379678.png

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
My inner garage door has a decorative handle (think lever), and just above it is the dead bolt latch.
I don't have one, but I installed a Schlage electronic deadbolt for my mother-in-law. Works great, still has a key if the batteries go flat, its a mechanical lock with an electric assist. Just a thought....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have done several tires that have RideOn installed. What I found was that it only ran in about an inch wide strip in the center of the tire. That, combined with it failing to prevent some flats that it should have, led me to quit using it. I realize that RideOn is not unlike balance beads, oil, etc when it comes to proponents and naysayers.
Interesting....I've been using it for several years, and many sets of tires, and only had one failure to seal, and that was with a piece of sheet metal that sliced about a four inch cut in the tire!
Every time I was about to change tires, I would invite folks over to watch my torture test of the tire/ride-on, which meant I would drill 1/8 inch holes, stab it with an ice pick, screw sheet metal screws into the tire, run over boards with nails it it, etc.
Each time, the product sealed the puncture wound and held air.
It does balance very well, so well, that I've stopped using weights years ago.
While your correct, it will only cover the center strip of the tire(s), the instructions state this, you can't really expect it to seal any punctures near the edge of the tire, or near the sidewall.
The problem most folks complain about, is them using the product incorrectly, meaning, they pull the nail/object out, then sit there and watch the air hiss out, and the tire go flat.
If you read the instructions, they state something to the affect of removing the object, then carefully RIDING the bike so the Ride-On is forced into the hole. If you don't ride it after pulling the nail out, to force the stuff in the hole, it won't work.
This is not a problem with the product, but the user.
I've removed large nails, screws, and even an Allen wrench from my rear tire(s) while traveling, and always made it home.
Remember, this product is just designed to get you out of harms way, and to safety, it is not meant to keep using the tire after its been damaged.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Well, as I alluded to, different experiences by different people. And yes, I was well aware of how it should be used and the expectations. It just didn't work in enough instances (for me) that I quit using it. That, and the expense. I will temper my remarks with.....I don't know how many times it did work. YMMV

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've changed a few tires with Ride-On and with Slime installed. I don't see much difference in how they act at first. Initially, they are both very liquid. Then as time (and miles) pass, the Ride-On stays put in the tread area of the tire...but still stays "liquid". The Slime seems to get tacky over time and by the time the tire was ready to change, I couldn't even see it inside the tread area. I should've put my finger in it, but all I saw was either black or clear (which looked black). The "mess" only happens if you change the tires shortly after installing the sealant.

Chris

lrhsr05st1300

sirlancealot
Bike
04 st1300
STOC #
So I take my bike down to igofars house to have him look at a few things and he has kidnapped my bike and is holding it hostage till he can fix the things he said could kill me! So he’s had it for a couple of days and I watched him today showing me what I’ve been doing wrong on this poor neglected bike! I have definitely not spent as much maintenance time on this as I should have! But with Larry’s help I should keep things on track

Top Bottom