I'm an owner!

Bike
ST1300
Hey everyone!

After spending quite a bit of very informative time with a fantastic member of this forum, and with the urging of my wife, I'm now the proud owner of an ST1300! Got it a few weeks ago and have been out just about every day/night getting to know her. Coming from a Vulcan 500 the first thing was the height...then the weight....well, both really at the same time. Made only one mistake so far which was, for whatever reason, coming to a stop with the bars not straight. Not sure how I kept it up, but I did. Won't do that again ;).

I know I sort of introduced myself in a previous post, but now feel I should provide a bit more info. My name's Jamie, I'm located in Hamilton, Ontario. Married with 3 kids (all under 16). I'm into sports (Hockey and Baseball) and love to travel. We own a tent trailer which allows us to be a bit mobile when traveling within Ontario as well as the US Eastern Seaboard (family trip planned in August to Myrtle Beach).

To me, the bike is a happy place. Have a bad day at work...go for a ride! Want to do some thinking....go for a ride! Out of beer....go for a ride to get some!

Up until this point, I knew a bike went vroom and that I should change the oil every season. Hoping that with the help of this community (the the extensive library in these forums) I'll be able to take on much much more! I've already learned quite a bit about handling, capabilities, etc... I'm looking forward to diving into the maintenance aspect and hopefully being completely self reliant when it comes to repairs and general maintenance.

First order of business. Where do you fellow Canuks source your parts from? I believe I'm looking for part number 90106-MBY-000 which is simply labeled 'Screw, Special, 5x12' on OEMMotorParts .com. I decided to swap out the Corbin with the stock seat to see the difference and found it missing a screw. I actually find the OEM seat makes the bike a bit shorter, but that could be just because it's not as wide as the Corbin.

Here's a picture of where the screw should go.

st1300-left side.jpg

Wondering if I just went into a dealership if they'd have them.

Thanks!
Jamie

Bike
2005 st1300
Welcome Jamie from pei. That is a special screw that's only available at the dealer as far as I know. You could search around on the forms here and somebody may have some but it's probably just as easy to go to the dealer and get one

Take the screw out from the other side, then go to a hardware store to find a match.

We have an old school (not a big box type) private owned hardware store (been around over 40 years) that stocks all sorts of special screws and bolts that the big box stores don't.

I've always been able to find replacement items there ... you may have a similar ma-n-pa place like that near you ...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Take the screw out from the other side, then go to a hardware store to find a match.

We have an old school (not a big box type) private owned hardware store (been around over 40 years) that stocks all sorts of special screws and bolts that the big box stores don't.

I've always been able to find replacement items there ... you may have a similar ma-n-pa place like that near you ...
That usually won't work on the fasteners Honda uses, because they are always an Odd depth/length, metric, and need a certain depth/length shoulder to keep from cracking the plastic body panel.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I believe that is a shoulder screw - the unthreaded portion under the head prevents you from clamping down tightly on the plastic and breaking the fairing. I made one for another situation by using a standard metric bolt with a short piece of copper tubing that I had sitting in my misc. plumbing parts bin. Cutting a piece that short (thickness of the plastic) was a bit of a chore, but I got it right. This suggestion is for a temp fix for your bike, should it take a while to get the proper item.

Meanwhile, read this....

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome from out East.
For the cost get the OEM fastener, but if you have a bolt and washer that fits in the meantime or you want function over form, then DIY works too!

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Happy for you JamieE. Six years now I've had my 2006. No regrets. I always look forward to riding! Nothin else compares. :)

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Hey Jamie, welcome to the forum.

I didn't read all the posts above so I hope this isn't a message from the Dept of Redundancy Dept. ;)

For big $ parts buy them from Partzilla or similar (shop around a bit). Ship them to a UPS store on the US side. Go get them. They charge a nominal amount to receive packages. You're maybe an hour away. MC parts are duty free. Doing it this way will save you tons of time and money. Good chance to do some other shopping, (Harbor Freight?), cheaper gas, etc

However, for a small part like that shoulder bolt that you won't likely find locally at Lowes or wherever, go to a local dealer. If they don't have new in stock they might even give you one from the spare parts bin. They can order new for you in a week, likely.
If you're trying to match it up somewhere, that same bolt is invariably used somewhere else on the bike. Take it with you.

And while I've got your attention - you've likely figured it out by now that there are lots Ontario members on here. We "ride to eat" now and then, we play riding games (Tag & A-Z City game), and once a year we have a weekend away (Onstoc). This year its in Sept in Calabogie. Many of us venture off to ride in the US by attending a forum STOC event like OHioStoc or just heading out. You're very welcome to join any game or organized event. Just jump in - no invites needed. The info for all of those things is on the forum somewhere. If you can't find and want links to read up, let me know. Happy to help

Cheers, Jeff

PS: In another life I lived in Hammer. Twice, for some reason. :biggrin: Jk, great town

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Welcome.

In Canada, just order parts from local Honda dealer or online such as here, https://www.bike-parts-honda.ca/
Makes absolutely no sense to ship parts from US
Parts made outside of North America are not duty-free
Shipping cost from States doesn’t give you any advantage, usually costs more.
You're paying way more than you have to. Shipping is free to a US destination after ordering about $80 worth.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
In 20 plus years of doing it they have never bothered to check or even ask where they are manufactured
That does not mean that the parts were duty-free however. It means that you have been fortunate in that they didn't bother to check, which is a whole different thing from being duty-free. Without getting in to the exceptions, only products manufactured in North America are duty-free in North America.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I believe I'm looking for part number 90106-MBY-000 which is simply labeled 'Screw, Special, 5x12' ...
Hi Jamie:

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the motorcycle. For the benefit of other forum members, that is the ST 1300 that previously belonged to me, I sold it to Jamie about a week ago.

Now, about that bolt: You DON'T want the 'correct screw for the hole' that is specified in the parts catalog, because the threads inside the hole that the bolt fits into are damaged. The bolt is a shoulder bolt, meaning it has a shoulder about 3mm high that prevents the head of the bolt from being tightened right up against the threaded hole. This is important, because if the bolt was tightened up against the plastic part, the plastic part would crack.

Your post reminded me that what I should have done - but didn't get around to - was identifying the part number of a similar Honda shoulder bolt with a larger thread diameter, getting one of those larger bolts, then tapping out the hole to accept the thread of the larger bolt. I apologize for failing to fix this before selling you the motorcycle.

Perhaps some oracle of ST 1300 knowledge (Hi Larry, are you around? :biggrin: ) could let you know the part number of the next larger size shoulder bolt used elsewhere on a ST 1300, and maybe even the thread diameter and thread pitch. With that knowledge, you could then get the appropriate bolt and also a tap to match. Use the tap to chase in new threads in the hole on the frame, then install the larger bolt. There is a ST 1300 Tupperware Worksheet available here in the forum, that might also be of use.

Looking at this image, the bolt that is missing (the one that goes in the hole shown in your photo above) is a 5 mm shoulder bolt that fits into position 2 on the part labelled "Right Side Cover". I believe that if you obtain a 6 mm shoulder bolt such as the one that fits into position 3 on the same Right Side Cover, and then tap the hole at position 3 to accept the threads of the 6 mm bolt, that should solve your problem.

As for where to get parts, for little stuff like this I just go to a local Honda dealer. Some Honda parts are common to many different bike models and for that reason they will often be in stock. A shoulder bolt like this is probably unique to ST 1300 and/or Gold Wing models and will likely need to be ordered. Even if your local Honda dealer doesn't know what a ST 1300 is, they can still order the part for you.

Let me know how much the bolt & tap cost and I will reimburse you for your expenses - I should have fixed that problem before I sold you the bike, but I simply forgot to do so.

Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
Jamie welcome. Did you mention what you ST you got your hands on?

As to purchasing parts I found a local dealer in Markham. You will get to know them. They have a wealth of knowledge. I would suggest tapping into that. A dealer may give you a discount if you keep coming back. They have with me.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Did you mention what you ST you got your hands on?
He bought my ST 1300. I still have (and plan to keep) my ST 1100, which I keep in Switzerland, but I was just not using the Canadian-based moto anymore.

Michael

Top Bottom