I'm an owner!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hi Jamie:

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the motorcycle. For the benefit of other forum members, that is the ST 1300 that previously belonged to me, I sold it to Jamie about a week ago.

Now, about that bolt: You DON'T want the 'correct screw for the hole' that is specified in the parts catalog, because the threads inside the hole that the bolt fits into are damaged. The bolt is a shoulder bolt, meaning it has a shoulder about 3mm high that prevents the head of the bolt from being tightened right up against the threaded hole. This is important, because if the bolt was tightened up against the plastic part, the plastic part would crack.

Your post reminded me that what I should have done - but didn't get around to - was identifying the part number of a similar Honda shoulder bolt with a larger thread diameter, getting one of those larger bolts, then tapping out the hole to accept the thread of the larger bolt. I apologize for failing to fix this before selling you the motorcycle.

Perhaps some oracle of ST 1300 knowledge (Hi Larry, are you around? :biggrin: ) could let you know the part number of the next larger size shoulder bolt used elsewhere on a ST 1300, and maybe even the thread diameter and thread pitch. With that knowledge, you could then get the appropriate bolt and also a tap to match. Use the tap to chase in new threads in the hole on the frame, then install the larger bolt. There is a ST 1300 Tupperware Worksheet available here in the forum, that might also be of use.

Looking at this image, the bolt that is missing (the one that goes in the hole shown in your photo above) is a 5 mm shoulder bolt that fits into position 2 on the part labelled "Right Side Cover". I believe that if you obtain a 6 mm shoulder bolt such as the one that fits into position 3 on the same Right Side Cover, and then tap the hole at position 3 to accept the threads of the 6 mm bolt, that should solve your problem.

As for where to get parts, for little stuff like this I just go to a local Honda dealer. Some Honda parts are common to many different bike models and for that reason they will often be in stock. A shoulder bolt like this is probably unique to ST 1300 and/or Gold Wing models and will likely need to be ordered. Even if your local Honda dealer doesn't know what a ST 1300 is, they can still order the part for you.

Let me know how much the bolt & tap cost and I will reimburse you for your expenses - I should have fixed that problem before I sold you the bike, but I simply forgot to do so.

Michael

Michael is correct, you can use this shoulder fastener instead (once you run the correct tap through the hole)
SCREW, SPECIAL (6MM)
90106-MBL-610
Retail Price: $2.02
Your Price: $1.50

The correct tap will be a 6mm x 1.00.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Jamie, Welcome to the club, from MA.
I'm sure that you'll have many happy miles on your new-to-you ST.

Steve

OP
OP
JamieE
Bike
ST1300
Thanks everyone for the information! Looks like this could be the first project for me ;). I'll get out to a dealership hopefully this week and will ask about the 6mm shoulder bolt. I'll need to watch some video's on the taps and how to use them.

Even this single thread...I've learned several things! Again, thank you to everyone!

And while I've got your attention - you've likely figured it out by now that there are lots Ontario members on here. We "ride to eat" now and then, we play riding games (Tag & A-Z City game), and once a year we have a weekend away (Onstoc). This year its in Sept in Calabogie. Many of us venture off to ride in the US by attending a forum STOC event like OHioStoc or just heading out. You're very welcome to join any game or organized event. Just jump in - no invites needed. The info for all of those things is on the forum somewhere. If you can't find and want links to read up, let me know. Happy to help
You definitely have my attention! I am very interested in meeting others...and just as importantly having fun...the games sound pretty interesting and I'll most likely hit you up on ONStoc and what it entails. I have cousins with bikes...mostly Harley's. They're new riders (M2 this year) and spend more time in parking lots talking about their bikes than they do actually riding.

Also, I may live in the Hammer, but I was born and raised on the East Coast (NS/NB). One of my bucket list items for the bike is to take a trip back there. Most likely not this year, but hopefully next.

CYYJ. Honourable of you to re-imberse? for tap etc.Bravo.
Honourable is one word. There are many others I could use as well. I was actually looking at several ST's and talked to a few owners. The converstation with others was very short, "Here's the bike, do you like it? Would you like to put $500 down to secure it?" Michael took the time to explain everything....to the point that I kind of wished I recorded the conversation so I could re-listen LOL. I don't think I've ever been more comfortable making a purchase as I was with Michael and I know that if I have a question 2 years down the road that he's just an email away!

Thank you,
Jamie

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think motorcycle parts are duty free regardless of country of origin.
From the CRA tax/duty schedule.
The section that pertains to motorcycles is section 87.11
1658267121567.png
I asked someone who works in the customs world. He is not a broker per se, but is in the business.
Without doing any research on it, and off the top of his head, this is what I took from his reply;

In the column where you see FREE.
That does not mean that motorcycle parts from all foreign countries are duty free. It means that they are duty free if they were manufactured in a country that has had MFN tariff status granted to them by Canada. MFN = Most-Favoured-Nation Tariff.

The column to the right with all the letters are tariff codes used for other countries. These codes determine what the tariff is based on what tariff status Canada has granted the country that the parts were manufactured in.

In the case of most people on this forum, most of us will not pay duty on motorcycle parts that we are purchasing from foreign countries and bringing in to Canada. This is because most of us are purchasing parts made in Japan for motorcycles that are Japanese. Because Japan has MFN status, and because of the Pacific rim trade agreement (I can't remember the acronym he told me for that) that Canada signed back in 2017 or so with Pacific rim nations, most motorcycle parts that are manufactured in Japan are duty free when brought in to Canada. He wouldn't say all because he said he knows from experience that there is most certainly some exemptions.

He also said that at any time Canada could levy a tariff on a Japanese part that was purchased in the US, or anywhere else, even though that Japanese manufactured part has MFN status. Complicated!

In the case of accessories that we purchase in the US and that were made in the US (or Mexico), they are duty free because of the new NAFTA agreement.

Regardless of being duty free, he said that all of these parts are still subject to Federal and Provincial sales taxes. Even if some of these parts are brought across the border and have been declared, if the border agent chooses not to levy the sales tax does not mean that they are exempt from sales tax. It only means that the border agent chose not to collect it.

@JamieE

My apologies for the hijack. I wanted to get an understanding of the information for future use and this is where it came up.

Congratulations on your ST. Once you have poked around here for a while and have had a chance to read some of the posts that Michael has written about his ST and his maintenance on it, you will have a much greater understanding and appreciation for how lucky a find that you have made, and you will have full confidence in its reliability.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
And howdy! from south of YOUR border, in the southern US of A, Heart of Dixie.
Loving my ST1300.
Loving this forum and its nutcases.
Loving summer, and loving life.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Andrew,
Yes, you are correct. Only parts from Most Favored Nation countries are "free". That being said, there are not many parts supplying countries that are not on the list. Even Russia, China, and Iran are on the list.
Here is the list.

With the exception of one time, all parts I have imported, have been duty free. One time it was assessed in error and I was issued a refund after filling out the paperwork. Not all border/customs agents are fully conversant with the regs.
Suffice to say that if you are ever charged "duty" on motorcycle parts, you can get it refunded.

Sorry to prolong the hijack.
Jamie - you got yourself one NICE bike. Many enjoyable miles ahead of you!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'll need to watch some video's on the taps and how to use them.

You definitely have my attention! I am very interested in meeting others...
Using taps is very easy. For a new hole, you need the proper size drill, but for what you are doing, you will probably be able to do it by simply chasing the hole with a tap. Buy a tap wrench - a T-handled type that will give you control - add a couple of drops of oil to the tip and carefully screw it into the hole. Be very careful, taps are hardened steel and brittle. If you break it off flush, removing the stub can be very difficult. Turn it until you feel resistance, back it off half a turn to cut the shavings free, then resume screwing it into the hole. My method is to screw it in one turn, feel resistance, back it off half, in one turn, etc. Experience and a few broken taps will teach you how much force is needed to snap the tap and cause tears to flow. :rofl1: A 6 mm tap is close to our 1/4" size and that is a pretty strong tap, so I don't think you will have a problem. If the initial turns are hard, you might need to drill the hole out to the proper size. Usually the tap will tell you the drill size - it's stamped on the shank. Just make sure you are not threading the tap in at an angle and it will go smoothly. For tapping into solid metal (i.e. a deep hole) you need plenty of lube. I usually tap 1/8" (3 or 4 mm or less) with only a drop or two. Tapping deep holes calls for cutting oil though I generally use whatever is at hand.

For our group activities, blue band atop this page > Calendar or Events > your choice from here. You can also search for your event of choice (example, OHSTOC) and read the responses and info about that event.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Most of my taps have had a nut squeezed onto them by using a vice.This enables you to get into a more confined space.Also the use of a socket & ratchet,or combination wrench.Not even sure where my tee handle is anymore.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Where do you fellow Canuks source your parts from?
Hey Jamie. Another welcome from Montreal area (with Peppermint and Andrew Shadow).

I order my replacement screws, seal, washer, gasket, hoses and other original parts from partzilla.com
Yes, they're from the states... meaning there is gonna be some small delays and fees. So what ? I'm slow too. ;)

For tires, one of the best place, if not THE best place in canada, is Pete's superbike.
They are in the montreal area, but their prices are very competitive and they will ship it to your door.

I sometime order stuff from FortNine , located in the Toronto area. But... last time it took about 3 or 4 weeks, just to ship my order. o_O
They are normally more fast. Maybe they were short in staff too, or something.
I ordered a few times from them : spark plugs, motion pro tire irons, gearcase oils, coolant, T-shirts, etc.

Now, I take my motor oil, coolant and filters at my favorite ( not nearest ) Honda dealer.
My nearest Honda dealer sells too many brands, I guess, and I found that I know my Honda ST1100 more than them.
Their mechanic have never heard of Moly Paste and he insisted that I only needed ordinary bearing grease on my splines. That's what they use.
(I guess he never reads the service Manual.)
Ha ha... Not on my ST. I'm trying to do all the maintenance myself.

You are right. Lots of help and info here to assist you.
Congrats on your ST1300.

Christian

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I sometime order stuff from FortNine , located in the Toronto area.
Fort Nine is located in Montreal. Anything that I have ever ordered from them was free shipping because it is local.
Customers used to be able to go to their warehouse and pick up their order themselves. I don't know if that is still an option.
They have another location out West, Calgary I think.

Top Bottom