In helmet audio

Any recommendations for in helmet audio, audio that I can actually hear at 60-70mph, I have a shuberth C3 Pro helmet which is fitted with a FreedCon chinesium system and to be honest the audio is terrible at 60-70mph
I would like to ditch the whole system and use in ear Bluetooth buds, but I can't find any small enough that would sit in my ear and not stick out to interfere with the helmet
IMG20220517151102.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sena 20,30,50 etc and s-plug ear buds... awesome combination. Cardo systems allow ear buds but a little more awkward to switch whereas you can use both w/Sena... as soon as you unplug the earbuds, the speakers are active.

Lots of opinions on this stuff.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have the same helmet with a Sena SMH10. Works pretty well, but is somewhat dependent on the windshield height and the quality of the sound source. Foam earplugs will help.. you lose a little volume, but drown out some wind noise. I would think a Cardo or Sena would work for you. The problem with BT earbuds is you lose control/comms with your phone, i.e. you can't FF, RW or change volume easily while riding.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As most here know by now, I've never been a fan of in-helmet speakers, nor the bluetooth earbuds.
The first allow too much wind noise to hear it well, and the second are so doggone fiddly to place in my ears, and ever-so-slightly-and-carefully put the helmet on without dislodging them.
While definitely out of fashion, whenever possible I still use wired earplugs (preferably Etymotics), but fewer and fewer of my devices now even have a dang headphone jack.
My Etymotics are rarely, if ever, dislodged (unless I'm truly slamming my helmet on), and are all-day comfortable to wear while riding. Wish I could use them forever, for their fit, comfort, AND audio quality.
It's just so weird, being the same age as old people, y'know?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got the Sena20SEvo (by myself) and the Sena30k (mesh for groups) and I used earplugs in a HJC CL-MAX helmet.
I plug straight into my Amplirider which combines three inputs to one output.
I've been very happy with the setup an quality of sound.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Which ones? It looks like they stick out a lot, or no?

1652800665528.png
Etymotics continually changes their model numbers with each upgrade, but no, they don’t actually stick out as it appears in product photos.
They go in comfortably, the 3- baffle design is very effective in quieting external sounds, and when inserted, enough of the angle shown is perfectly adequate for painless removal. Simply grasp it between thumb and index finger to pull them out.
I will say, i wear a helmet liner, to make it easier to slip my helmet on without dislodging them, although it is still so much easier to fit the helmet with these, than any Bluetooth buds I've tried, with or without a liner.
Plus my head sweats in my modular helmet, so I wear a liner to minimize the helmet funk.
It's HOT! down here in Alabama.
Good question!!
Hope this helps.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I agree with Sadlsor. I have used, for a couple of months, in helmet speakers. I quickly reverted back to in-the-ear earphones. Back then, there was someone on this site that really, really liked the earphones by Ear INC. I went with them unit a few months ago. There is an issue with the way the wires come out of the earphones today but.... It can be gotten around.

But, the last pair I got from Ear Inc just did not seem like the rest. Had them re-done, still not what I wanted and they only lasted a couple of years before something failed.

I decided to go with a local vendor. I purchased his "ear plugs" back in 2004 or 2005 at a Myrtle Beach Bike Week vendors booth. Still have them. And now he lives right down the road. Issue is that they are not cheap. But he does have a year warranty for any reason. I have used them (and so has my wife) for the last several months.

While they are form fitting, they do not fit as well, it seems, as my EAR Inc. in the ear devices. But the audio is clear and they do minimize some wind noise. I have, nor has my wife, had an issue with the earphones coming out when we put our helmets on (Shark Evolines). The wires are flat against the earphone so they do not stick out much.

The company is Big Ear Inc.

https://www.bigearinc.com

Just my experience.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Get your hearing checked…you may need hearing aids. Now here’s the bonus. If they are Bluetooth compatible which most of them are, you can connect to your phone, play music and still be able to hear at 60/70/80 mph. The quality of the sound is very good.
I’m a fan of Cardo Packtalk bold with the JBL speakers. Voice command, Bluetooth and Mesh technology. I can hear the sounds well when traveling high speeds.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Get your hearing checked…you may need hearing aids. Now here’s the bonus. If they are Bluetooth compatible which most of them are, you can connect to your phone, play music and still be able to hear at 60/70/80 mph. The quality of the sound is very good.
I’m a fan of Cardo Packtalk bold with the JBL speakers. Voice command, Bluetooth and Mesh technology. I can hear the sounds well when traveling high speeds.
I recently purchased the Packtalk Bold and wear a Scorpion EXO-AT950 modular helmet, not the quietest of helmets. I have no problem hearing music or voice at highway speeds and I'm wearing Loop earplugs as well.

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
If I remember I think I got the Sena s10, or b10 it was the least expensive that connected to my bluetooth on phone, plays music, reads out my directions, can answer the phone and can link to other bluetooth riders. . Sounds a bit on tinny side as in no base but gets the job done. I am happy with it as I don't often ride with others that would require a lot more options

Bike
ST1100
the audio is terrible at 60-70mph
maybe, the problem is with in-helmet speakers location. They should be placed right in front of the ears, but in some cases (mostly specific of the body) designed placement for speakers may not coincide with ears. Need to adjust positions of the speakers in that case, I did it by pressing foam inside helmet and found best place for speakers.

Also, better to replace stock intercom speakers with good quality ones. I found out that my Koss Sporta Pro headphones (https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1) where excellent for that) I use them on third helmet for now.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I use a Cardo Packtalk Slim with S-plug knockoffs. I can listen to the music or talk on the phone at speeds way above the legal limits.

Bike
2007 ST1300
maybe, the problem is with in-helmet speakers location. They should be placed right in front of the ears, but in some cases (mostly specific of the body) designed placement for speakers may not coincide with ears. Need to adjust positions of the speakers in that case, I did it by pressing foam inside helmet and found best place for speakers.
I second this part. I use foam ear plugs and a Sena system that has been in a cheapo Bilt open face helmet and have no issue hearing music and voice at highway speeds. Now I have a much quieter Shoei helmet, and after getting the speakers in the right place I use about 80% volume on my phone and about 60% volume on the Sena unit and can hear things clearly.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been using wired autocom headsets for many years. The speakers sit inside the ear recess in the helmet, and have to be correctly positioned for the ear - the actually sit on the lower part of my ear - not covering them like headphones - so the small speaker inside the plastic and foam body is actually directly inline with the earhole. Very comfortable, very clear at any speed.

There's a picture of the alignment for autocom stuff posted in this thread Link (post #3). The same principle will apply to all speakers. But getting that alignment right is crucial.

I can hear phone calls, intercom, satnav without any issue whatsoever. If people phone, they cannot tell that I am on the bike. It helps that the kit has a sensor for the helmet which detects the level of background noise and adjusts the volume accordingly.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100

Also, better to replace stock intercom speakers with good quality ones. I found out that my Koss Sporta Pro headphones (https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1) where excellent for that) I use them on third helmet for now.
I had a problem initially with the right side being louder than the left and it was due to speaker placement. I ended up repositioning the speaker and putting a piece of thin foam behind it to get it closer to my ear. Now I can hear both speakers clearly and turned down the volume as well.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Go with a Sena 30k and S-plugs and you won’t be disappointed. Been using S-plugs for 5 years now and they are the best for putting a helmet on or off.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I use a Cardo Packtalk Slim. For short hops around town, I just use the in-helmet speakers. But if I'm on a longer ride, I connect a pair of custom fitted in-ear speakers. The ones I use are from plugup.com. They made molds of my ears when i saw them at a motorcycle show. A couple of weeks later I receive them in the mail. You can also have them send you a kit to make the molds yourself.

This has, by far, been the best solution for me. Everything is so much quieter (outside noise, music, phone calls, etc...) that it really helps reduce fatigue on long rides. Although having my wife's voice directly into my brain is another matter! :p In case anyone is wondering, yes you can still hear car horns, tires screeching, etc... You just might not hear the guy at the stop light complimenting your bike! :D

You don't, necessarily, have to go the more expensive packtalk/plugup route. Any helmet mounted comm system should work as long as it connects to your phone and has a 1/8" female connector for the speakers that you can unplug. Decibullz makes a custom fitted earphone that you can do yourself at home for much cheaper. I've never tried them but if I were doing it again, I would try these first.

I just noticed on Plugup's site that you can also get a Bluetooth around the shoulder earphone. Still pretty expensive (but cheaper than using a custom mold-comm system combo) but if you really have no need of a comm system, then this might be worth it to you. The upside is that you can use then anywhere and not just while riding.

Top Bottom