In helmet audio

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Even the helmet-mounted Sena (and similar offerings) have begun dropping the speaker jack for wired earpieces, following the trend of today's phones.
It limits which models I can choose, and while I haven't sprung for one yet, it will be the top feature I must have. I'll likely have to get one of the older models.
I just bought a Schuberth C5. I would spring for the integrated com system that is essentially a Sena 50s, but there is no headphone jack. I'm just going to stick my Sena 50s on the side of the helmet with the adhesive in the kit.

Bike
2008 ST1300
Admittedly have not read the whole thread, but wanted to chime in. My Cardo Packtalk Bold died outside (slightly) its warranty period. I rode in the heaviest rainstorm I ever have, about 15 minutes worth. Water on both sides of my visor, poured out my boots, etc. Unit died and never came back.

I called Cardo, they were very nice, sent me a new one at no cost, wanted the old one back to see where it failed.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I am bringing this thread back to life a little.

I noticed this when I ride as well:
I have a Sena 20S and use the helmet speakers. I've added the various pads to bring the speakers closer to my ears for better sounding audio. However I notice whenever exiting the freeway and slowing down the music gets much louder. o_O Obviously that's not correct. As speed decreases so does helmet noise. Suddenly I'm hearing how loud the music has been.
I have a Shoei GT Air 2 and the integrated Sena (I think it is an SR2). I am really happy with the speaker placement, sound quality, etc.. The only real complaint is battery life seems to be lacking on a longer rides (maybe 2-3 hours). I just have to top it off when I stop and sometimes I forget.

Anyway, back to the point - I bought some "Decibullz" that were mentioned earlier, specifically the "pro-musician" variant. The custom molding is actually quite cool, I basically shoved them in my ear and pulled my helmet on, so I have a custom ear plug for my helmet/ear. The little filter seems to not impede any noise from my speakers, but claims it protects you from loud noises. I am hoping wind noise is part of that "loud noise".

I will update when I give them a good try out, but I am pretty optimistic about them. Previously every ear plug I tried would snag on the helmet and basically sound like static in my ear, of pull out of place. I have a friend that swears by ear buds, but they always end up hurting my ears. We will see how these do.

Ryan

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Try Plugphone ear plug-bud, got from Amazon for under $20. Block noise, and good music quality. They make 90° lead out ones that work perfectly in a helmet

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Doesn't the Sena have an optional setting for noise-based automatic volume adjustment?
I just paged through the manual, I don't think the SRL2 does (I have had a number of Sena units, and I don't think any of them have had this option).

*EDIT*
I was wrong, it does have an auto adjust feature. I have never used it because I didn't know it existed and I have a remote on my handle bar. I was mostly concerned with what the wind noise could be doing to my long term hearing, which is why I want to try the ear plugs.

1707063799067.png

Ryan

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just paged through the manual, I don't think the SRL2 does (I have had a number of Sena units, and I don't think any of them have had this option).
I have a Sena 20S EVO and it has this function. It is called Smart Volume.

From the manual;
Smart Volume Control automatically changes the level of the speaker volume based on the level of the environmental noise. When it is disabled, volume is controlled manually. Rotate the Jog Dial until you hear the voice prompt, “Smart volume control”. By tapping the Phone Button, it will lead you to the level adjustment mode. You can enable it by setting the sensitivity to low, medium, or high.
Smart Volume Control responds to smaller environmental noises as the sensitivity level becomes higher.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Try Plugphone ear plug-bud, got from Amazon for under $20. Block noise, and good music quality. They make 90° lead out ones that work perfectly in a helmet
Thank you for the recommendation, if these Decibullz set doesn't work out, I will investigate something like this. The biggest issue is the SRL2 is integrated into the helmet for a nice clean look. I don't know if actually has an aux connection.

Top Bottom